SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I am sure that Big Mike will be getting a call from the players union tomorrow telling him to carry the company line or something along those lines. I am sure that he is not the only one saying these things.. Good for Mike, I am getting sick of not having NHL hockey.

I think it is a big wastet that they can't settle this thing. Hopefully more players will speak up and get this thing going. The players are the ones that are going to have to put pressure on their union to get the ball rolling. Good job Mike.

Not regarding a former Sioux player, but an interesting article about Vanek:

I can already hear the Gopher fans - "he won a championship," but I doubt many people are surprised to hear about him likely taking shifts off.

Yet with no points, nine shots on goal and a minus-3 plus/minus rating through four games, it's quite clear that Amerks coach Randy Cunneyworth decided to deliver a message. Even if he wouldn't say so.

"The only message is to everyone, that it's a difficult league and it takes competing in every situation for all involved," Cunneyworth said after practice Thursday at Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. "Quite often it (the game-breaking moment) comes down to a play where one line or one individual took a shift off."

Article

I can already hear the Gopher fans - "he won a championship," but I doubt many people are surprised to hear about him likely taking shifts off.

Article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole team is struggling now, just wait until the end of the season. ;):0

(Sorry, not trying to ruin this thread, I just had to say it.)

Article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting article. My opinion (as I have stated many times before this) has been that Vanek wasn't necessarily lazy. He just cherry picks whenever he can and has no defensive skills whatsoever. The fact that he's being labeled as lazy by the AHL team he's on just means that he's being greeted to pro hockey's rule of: Just because you are a high draft pick, doesn't mean you are G-d's gift to hockey. If Vanek needs a shoulder to cry on, he could go over to Syracuse Crunch goaltender Pascal Leclaire and whine about how they aren't geting playing time. :0

Went to the Evertblades game tonight!(My brother moved to Ft. Myers and I am down playing a little golf, hope the weather is shi&&y back in ND). Everblades beat The Mississippi Sea Wolves 6-3 tonight. Tim O'Connell had a solid game and David Lundbohm had a great game(1 goal, 1 assist, and created several opportunities). Notorious tough guy Chris Cava cheapshotted O'Connell with his team down 5-3 and with the penalty called and the opportunity to even it up(Timmy dropped em and was wanting to kick his a$$, Cava cowardly and quickly skated to the box, what a pu$$y)

Tyler Palmiscino is tied for the lead in scoring in the league that he is playing in over in Europe. Great job Tyler. He is playing for the Heereneveen Flyers in Italy. Here is some interesting reading.....good luck!

Zoon van Tony 'Calimero' Palmiscno tekent bij Flyers

Vadeko Flyers heeft zich dan toch versterkt met de Italiaanse Canadees Tayler Palmiscno. Tayler is de zoon van Tony 'Calimero' Palmiscino die in het seizoen '77/'78 bij Flyers een gevaarlijk koppel vormde met Leo Koopmans. De laatste vier seizoenen speelde Tayler voor de University of North Dakota (UND). In het verre verleden kwamen ook vader Tony en oom Steve uit voor de UND en zo lijken de bevindingen van Tony een belangrijke rol te spelen bij de keuzes van zijn zoon. Tayler is naast Don Nichols en Robert Starke de derde import.

Tayler, geboren op 27 december 1979 te East Grand Forks, staat bekent als een hard werkende aanvaller die niet schuwt het vuile werk voorin op te knappen. Een erg nuttige speler voor ieder team, die in een lijn met een echte goalgetter perfect tot zijn recht komt. Wie deze goalgetter gaat worden is vooralsnog niet duidelijk, voorzitter Gerd Lindemann is nog altijd in onderhandeling met de Oekra

SAT OCT 30TH.....AHL...

mike commodore and ryan bayda played for lowell in 3-2 lost to worcester sat night.. commodore 1 assist....

bochenski and g. potulny no points each in 5-3 loss to manitoba

parise and hale both (-2) in 3-0 loss to norfolk

goehring gets loss in 3-2 overtime game to hamilton . panzer even (+,-) in game..goehring 23 saves.........

SUN OCT 31ST....AHL....

lee goren played for manitoba and had 1 goal in 2-1 win over hamilton

Doesn't everyone carry an (albeit shaky) Dutch to English dictionary with them?

Son of Tony 'Calimero' Palmiscno signs with Flyers

Vadeko Flyers have reinforced themselves with the Italian Canadian (Canadian?) Tyler Palmiscno. Tyler is the son of Tony 'Calimero' Palmiscino who formed a dangerous combination in the 1977-78 season for the Flyers with Leo Koopmans. The last four seasons Tyler played for the University or North Dakota (UND). In the distant past father Tony and uncle Steve played for UND and Tony ended up playing an important play role in the choice of his son. Tyler is beside Don Nichols and Robert Starke on the third line(?).

Tyler, born on 27 December 1979 at East Grand Forks, says he's a hard working attacker who does not shun doing the dirty work to clean up. A very useful player for any team, which fit perfectly in a line with real goal getter on its right. He who the goal getter will become is not yet clear, President Gerd Lindemann is still in negotiation with the Oleg Timchenko.

Did the best I could with what I had. :silly:

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 5TH AHL STATS...

BINGHAMTON VS ALBANY.... 3-2 ALBANY WINS IN SHOOTOUT...PARISE 1 ASSIST FOR ALBANY AND BOCHENSKI 1 ASSIST FOR BINGHAMTON.....PARISE 1 OF 2 IN SHOOTOUT ATTEMPTS AND BOCHENSKI 0 FOR 1.....

SYRACUSE LOSES 5-0...GOEHRING GIVES UP 5 GOALS..30 SAVES VS SAN ANTONIO....

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 6TH AHL....

lowell beats springfield..........4-3.....commodore (lowell) with 1 assist and 1 goal..ryan bayda 1 assist for lowell

bochenski (binghamton) 1 goal in 5-4 loss to rochester

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

manchester 5 albany 2 Zach Parise[albany] 2 shots -1 + -.

Spiewak, Daigneault lift Rays

STINGRAYS 3, INFERNO 2

BY ANDREW MILLER

Of The Post and Courier Staff

With Washington Capitals head coach Glen Hanlon and general manager George McPhee looking on Thursday night, one could understand if goaltender Maxime Daigneault might have been a little nervous against the Columbia Inferno.

But if the rookie was nervous, he didn't show it.

Daigneault made 22 saves and Kevin Spiewak scored two first-period goals to lead South Carolina past Columbia, 3-2, before a crowd of 3,536 at the North Charleston Coliseum.

With the victory, the Stingrays improved to 4-1-1 (9 points) and moved into a first-place tie with Pee Dee in the East Division of the American Conference. The Inferno dropped to 2-2-3 (7 points).

With the NHL lockout in place, Hanlon and McPhee wanted an opportunity to see the Capitals' 2002 second-round draft pick and possibly the goalie of the future for the organization.

What they saw, they liked.

Daigneault improved to 3-0-0 on the season. Daigneault made two crucial saves, one a breakaway in the second period and the other a stop in the final seconds that preserved the victory.

"I think the most impressive thing I saw from Max was the save he made at the end with the game on the line," Hanlon said. "It was a save (the Stingrays) needed, and he made it. I think from our standpoint, this is what our agreement is all about. It allows us to develop some players that might not be ready to play American (Hockey) League.

"For them to come down here and play and to be successful, it's huge. Especially with a goalie like Max, this is a great league for him to develop."

The Capitals already have a history of placing goalies in the ECHL. Olaf Kolzig, the Capitals' top goalie, began his pro career with Hampton Roads.

"Olaf Kolzig started his career in the ECHL," Hanlon said. "There are lots of players in the NHL that got their start in the ECHL. There's not enough room for some players in the AHL or the NHL because of the way the leagues are structured. You usually have one player that's going to give you a chance to win and then you want to develop that one extra goalie, so you need that extra spot. This is just a great arrangement for us to have."

Afterward, Hanlon came up to Daigneault and congratulated him on his effort. The soft-spoken Daigneault just shrugged off the compliment and, like most goalies, complained about the goal he gave up to Ryan Campbell in the third period that pulled Columbia to within 3-2.

"I was a little nervous," Daigneault said. "Every time in juniors that there was a scout there I had butterflies in my stomach. I know I have to perform well, but it's a part of the game and I have to deal with it. I thought I played well tonight. I would have liked to have had that one goal back in the third period. It just got under me."

The Stingrays jumped to a 2-0 lead behind Spiewak, who dominated the action in the first period. The former North Dakota star literally stole the puck out of the air when Columbia goalie Mike Minard tried to clear it out of the Inferno zone. Spiewak picked up the loose puck and easily beat Minard.

"I was surprised that I got lucky like that because he handles the puck so well," Spiewak said. "I thought it would be out of the zone for sure, but it accidentally hit my stick and he was out of place and left the net open."

Spiewak gave the Stingrays a 2-0 lead on the Stingrays second power-play goal of the season.

"We've been working on the power play all week, so it was good to get the monkey off of our back," Spiewak said.

After a scoreless second period, Joe Tenute put the Stingrays up for good when he scored off a nice pass from defenseman Mark Ardelan to give the Stingrays a 3-1 lead early in the third.

"I was screaming for the puck and I think Mark heard me," Tenute said. "I got it off as quick as I could and luckily it got under his pad."

THREE STARS

1. Kevin Spiewak. Spiewak had two goals, including one on the power play. Spiewak set the tone for the Stingrays offensively during the first period.

2. Joey Tenute. Tenute had the game-winner in the third period, his third game-winning goal of the season and his second against the Inferno in two weeks.

3. Aaron Power. Power didn't record a single point against the Inferno, but played another solid game defensively.

SLAP SHOTS

-- Columbia goalie Mike Minard left the game early in the second period. Minard left the game and skated directly to the team's bench. Minard later returned to the Inferno's bench in the third period.

-- Going into the game the Stingrays had just one power-play goal in 22 chances. The Stingrays were one of seven on the power play against the Inferno.

-- The Stingrays came into the game with the ECHL's 7th-ranked penalty kill at 93.5 percent. The Inferno recorded one power-play goal in five chances. In the last two games against the Stingrays, Columbia has three power-play goals.

-- Tenute leads the ECHL with three game-winning goals this season.

-- The Stingrays are 2-1-0 against the Inferno this season. The Stingrays are 2-0-1 at home this season.

COMING UP

The Stingrays will host Greenville at 7:05 tonight. The Stingrays play at Charlotte at 7 p.m. Saturday.

South Carolina 2-0-1--3

Columbia 1-0-1--2

First Period: 1. SC, Spiewak 2 (unassisted), 5:31. 2. SC, Spiewak 3 (Andress, Tenute), 14:57. 3. C, Fitzpatrick 4 (Carruthers, Ralph), 19:10. Penalties: Campbell, C (tripping), 9:07; Power, SC (interference), 11:52; Amadio, C (slashing), 14:08; Tenute, SC (tripping), 17:11.

Second Period: No goals. Penalties: Slaton, C (slashing), 6:09; Slaton, C (slashing), 9:59; Power, SC (interference), 10:11; Demmans, C (slashing), 12:28; Boulanger, SC (elbowing), 15:17; Slaton, C (elbowing), 15:34; Owens, C (holding the stick), 17:00.

Third Period: 4. SC, Tenute 4 (Clapton, Ardlen), 2:04. 5. C, Campbell 3 (Busniuk, Carruthers), 5:24. Penalties: Peverley, SC (cross checking), 14:53.

Shots on goal: South Carolina 7-13-7--27; Columbia 7-5-12-24; Penalties: South Carolina 5-10; Columbia 7-14; Power Plays: South Carolina 1 for 7; Columbia 1 for 5. Goalies: South Carolina, Daigneault (3-0-0) 24 shots-22 saves; Columbia, Minard (1-0-2) 8-6. McVicar (1-2-1) 19-18. Att: 3,526.

CURRENT ECHL AND AHL FORMER SIOUX PLAYERS ON 2004/2005 ROSTERS

I MAY HAVE MISSED A COUPLE BUT THIS IS THE MAJORITY......

ECHL

jason notermann...atlantic city boardwalk bullies

david lundbohm...florida everblades

kevin spiewak...south carolina

AHL

dave hale and zach parise...albany river rats

brandon bochenski...binghamton

mike commodore and ryan bayda...lowell

lee goren...manitoba

jason ulmer...portland

jeff ulmer...hershey bears

travis roche...chicago wolves

tony hrkac...milwaukee admirals

jeff panzer and karl goehring...syracuse crunch

CURRENT ECHL AND AHL FORMER SIOUX PLAYERS ON 2004/2005 ROSTERS

I MAY HAVE MISSED A COUPLE BUT THIS IS THE MAJORITY......

ECHL

jason notermann...atlantic city boardwalk bullies

david lundbohm...florida everblades

kevin spiewak...south carolina

AHL

dave hale and zach parise...albany river rats

brandon bochenski...binghamton

mike commodore and ryan bayda...lowell

lee goren...manitoba

jason ulmer...portland

jeff ulmer...hershey bears

travis roche...chicago wolves