SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Commodore did score the first goal of the 2000 national championship game against BC. It was a rebound off Brian Lundbohm's shot. Ulmer scored the game- winner in a simlar manner on a rebound off Goren's shot.

Commodore did score the first goal of the 2000 national championship game against BC. It was a rebound off Brian Lundbohm's shot. Ulmer scored the game- winner in a simlar manner on a rebound off Goren's shot.

Isn't it amazing what happens when, in a close game, you actually shoot the puck on net and not try to get really fine around the edges (and end up shooting wide)? :D

I misread Mad Man's post. I thought he was saying that was Commie's first goal. In fact he was saying Commie scored the first goal of the nc game. Big difference. Sorry about that.

That was his fifth goal of the season. :D He ended that season 5-7-12, a real scoring machine. ;) A third of his scoring came in the post season (2 goals, 2 assists)

Mike Commodore mixing it up at the end of the period when one of Vancovers thugs cheaps a Flame along the benches. Classic Mike sticking his nose in there and getting it dirty. Mike has the classic Commodore hair due sticking out of his helmet.

Mike Commodore mixing it up at the end of the period when one of Vancovers thugs cheaps a Flame along the benches. Classic Mike sticking his nose in there and getting it dirty. Mike has the classic Commodore hair due sticking out of his helmet.

Speaking of Commie, he registers an assist on Calgary's first goal!

Also odd he didn't get an assist on the GWG, as it was his shot that deflected and went in:

The Flames caught a break on Iginla's goal that snapped a 1-1 tie. A shot by defenseman Mike Commodore ricocheted in off Iginla and the skate of Canucks defender Mattias Ohlund, who was tied up in the crease with Flames forward Martin Gelinas.

Also odd he didn't get an assist on the GWG, as it was his shot that deflected and went in:

The Flames caught a break on Iginla's goal that snapped a 1-1 tie. A shot by defenseman Mike Commodore ricocheted in off Iginla and the skate of Canucks defender Mattias Ohlund, who was tied up in the crease with Flames forward Martin Gelinas.

I'm no expert but if it went in off a Canuck maybe they give the goal to the last Calgary player who touched the puck but don't give any assists.

Maybe Woog was the scorer that night.

FYI, Hale is FINALLY playing. I guess watching Giroux get pushed several feet across the ice by Primeau multiple times was finally too much for Burns to take. Now, if he'd just replace Albelin with DeMarchi, I'd feel much better.

The game is on ABC (you can check Center Ice if you don't get this game); the time for tomorrow's game won't be announced til after this one :-).

-Melissa

i would just like to say that one of the fighting sioux's greatest alums tony hrkac has been playing in the ahl, its sad to see one of the college's greatest all-time players on his way at playing teams called the ice cats, lock monsters, or everyones favorite team the always popular Bridgeport Sound Tigers. I'm fine seeing Travis Roche, Lee Goren, and Ryan Bayda try and build their careers through minor league hockey, but to see Hrkac end his career playing against people half his age if very saddening. On a good note it was nice to see Murray Baron playing playoff hockey for the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night, and Brad Bombadir of Nashville.

i would just like to say that one of the fighting sioux's greatest alums tony hrkac has been playing in the ahl, its sad to see one of the college's greatest all-time players on his way at playing teams called the ice cats, lock monsters, or everyones favorite team the always popular Bridgeport Sound Tigers. I'm fine seeing Travis Roche, Lee Goren, and Ryan Bayda try and build their careers through minor league hockey, but to see Hrkac end his career playing against people half his age if very saddening. On a good note it was nice to see Murray Baron playing playoff hockey for the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night, and Brad Bombadir of Nashville.

Hrkac, whether you want to admit it or not, is getting up there in age. For someone with his age, he's lucky to be still in professional hockey at all. And, mind you, he may be in the AHL, but I thought his rights were owned by an NHL team, therefore allowing him to be called up if need be.

With the lockout looming, it would not be surprising to see Hrkac retire.

A note about that link listed earlier in the thread, it is out of date. But I'm surprised, as I perused the Hockey Database site, that most of those players listed are still playing hockey in some form professionally.

Also, did you know that UND had a player drafted #8 overall way back when play for the Sioux? Josh Herper was his name. Didn't know that. Evidentally, he was also a bust as he never made it to the NHL. I think he played with UND in the early 90s and only for a season or two.

FYI, Hale is FINALLY playing. I guess watching Giroux get pushed several feet across the ice by Primeau multiple times was finally too much for Burns to take. Now, if he'd just replace Albelin with DeMarchi, I'd feel much better.

The game is on ABC (you can check Center Ice if you don't get this game); the time for tomorrow's game won't be announced til after this one :-).

-Melissa

I have no idea why Giroux was playing instead of Hale. Its a joke.

Also, did you know that UND had a player drafted #8 overall way back when play for the Sioux?  Josh Herper was his name.  Didn't know that.  Evidentally, he was also a bust as he never made it to the NHL.  I think he played with UND in the early 90s and only for a season or two.

Do you mean Jason Herter? There was no Josh Herper. :D

He played 3 years for the Sioux.

Hrkac, whether you want to admit it or not, is getting up there in age. For someone with his age, he's lucky to be still in professional hockey at all. And, mind you, he may be in the AHL, but I thought his rights were owned by an NHL team, therefore allowing him to be called up if need be.

With the lockout looming, it would not be surprising to see Hrkac retire.

The word is that this maybe the last hurrah for a lot of these veterans that are trying to hold on to living the dream. If you watch CBC, you will hear the guys talking about this on the hot stove. This maybe the end of Chelios, Hull, Shannahan, Federov, Forsberg, Insert your favorite multi millionare _________ that has been in the NHL for a long time and made a lot of money.

Also there are a lot of guys like Hrkac hanging on for one more chance in the NHL.

On a good note it was nice to see Murray Baron playing playoff hockey for the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night, and Brad Bombadir of Nashville.

Ryan Johnson also plays for the Blues, while his brother Greg plays for Nashville. We have Belfour in Toronto, Blake for NY, Commie in Calgary, and Hale in NJ. I'm sure I missed some other playoff roster former Sioux. Any others?