SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned:

The University Bookstore/Barnes & Noble - Book Signing -- "75 Years of Fighting Sioux Hockey History" -- Saturday, August 28th, 11am to 1pm -- with Zach Parise, Jay Panzer, Jeff Panzer and Karl Goehring.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned:

The University Bookstore/Barnes & Noble - Book Signing -- "75 Years of Fighting Sioux Hockey History" -- Saturday, August 28th, 11am to 1pm -- with Zach Parise, Jay Panzer, Jeff Panzer and Karl Goehring.

Here is the link

Does anyone know who the author is of this new book?

Does anyone know who the author is of this new book?

Several local writers contributed to it, including your's truly. ???

The person behind it is Mike Bynum. If you do a search for his name on amazon.com, you'll see that he's been involved in many sports books related to some big-time names and programs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was flipping through AM stations yesterday (looking for the Twins game) when I came across a Winnipeg station that was interviewing Lee Goren. He signed with the Moose and was excited about playing in his hometown. He said he had been skating at the Ralph (he said in GF, I assume it was at the REA) with some former college teamates.

I may have to make a trip up North to see the Moose this year. I believe they just built a new rink, Winnipeg is always a good time regardless.

I was flipping through AM stations yesterday (looking for the Twins game) when I came across a Winnipeg station that was interviewing Lee Goren.  He signed with the Moose and was excited about playing in his hometown.  He said he had been skating at the Ralph (he said in GF, I assume it was at the REA) with some former college teamates. 

I may have to make a trip up North to see the Moose this year.  I believe they just built a new rink, Winnipeg is always a good time regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like we'll have some chances to see a few former Sioux players in Winnipeg. They play Binghampton (Bochenski) and Syracuse (Goehring and Panzer) at home this season. Too bad they don't play Albany.

albany river rats get shutout in first preseason game...hale and demarchi did not look like they dressed. parise -2 with no shots...almost every player was in the negative after this game...

syracuse vs scranton preseason....went to shootout..panzer misses his shot..2 shots in game. goehring 30 minutes. 4 for 4 on saves in game..

bochenski scored at least 1 goal in binghamton intersquad scrimmage..thats all that was reported..

binghamton and syracuse both have another game today in their preseason round robin.....albany also plays again...

zach parise (wearing # 51??) had 1 power play game winning goal on 1 shot for albany today in a 4-2 win over philadelphia. david hale racked up 7 penalty minutes......8 days until the AHL open up regular season play....

Parise and Hale

Devils' minor-league affiliate hopes for a rise in attendance

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/06/04

By MIKE KERWICK

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE -- Elmer Fudd, the Looney Tunes character who sits atop Scott Stevens' locker, was still there keeping a set of eyes on the locker room. But the nameplate that marks Stevens' territory was replaced by the name Pascal Rheaume.

One stall down, the spot where Martin Brodeur usually holds court with reporters after practices, there was no indication the two-time Vezina winner had popped by anytime recently. His nameplate had vanished too. Scott Clemmensen, a young man who backed up Brodeur late last season, found his name above a legend's locker.

While Stevens, Brodeur and the rest of the Devils sit tight during a National Hockey League lockout that shows few signs of ending, Rheaume, Clemmensen and the Albany River Rats are prepping for the start of their season.

For two weeks now, Albany, New Jersey's American Hockey League affiliate, has been down in Jersey for training camp. The River Rats will wrap up today and head back north. Albany coach Robbie Ftorek, a guy Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello brought back to the organization last season to resuscitate a last-place team, thinks his building will see a spike in attendance.

"In '95 people came out because we were the only game in town and because we had a good team," Ftorek said.

He has some guys worth watching. There's David Hale, the 23-year-old defenseman who played 65 games for the Devils last season. There's Rheaume, the journeyman NHL center who suited up for New Jersey's 2003 Stanley Cup championship squad.

And there's Zach Parise, the phenom, the kid New Jersey is hoping will be the league's next big star.

"The fans at Albany are going to love him," Ftorek said.

Parise played college hockey at the University of North Dakota but really made his mark playing in the World Junior Championships last winter. He was named Most Valuable Player for the tournament, leading Team USA to the gold medal. Had the lockout been avoided, you might have seen the 20-year-old Parise playing on a line with Jeff Friesen and Jamie Langenbrunner this winter.

"It's always a 'what if,' " Parise said.

But the NHL and AHL are different animals. In yesterday's preseason meeting between the River Rats and Philadelphia Phantoms at South Mountain Arena, four fights broke out within the game's first six minutes. Parise tried to shrug off the notion that some AHL thug might take a run at him to make a name for himself.

"I'll keep the flies off his back," promised Rob Skrlac, Albany's veteran enforcer.

As for Hale, he tried to put a positive spin on spending the season in the AHL after making the Devils out of training camp last autumn.

"It's another year of experience in a professional league," Hale said.

"I'm happy to be playing hockey," he added.

Ftorek said he wouldn't be surprised to see fans from New Jersey making the drive up for some weekend games. Upstate New York's NHL team, the Buffalo Sabres, will also be on hiatus, leaving more fans scrambling for something to follow.

"Our club's going to be a good team," Ftorek said.

Give us some information about the Meet the Sioux!! Who won the scrimmage, who scored, who looked good and bad!!!:blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People will have to help me out, I don't remember everything.

-The White team won 5 or 6 to 0.

-Rylan Kaip scored. McMahon went into the net a got the puck for him. :D

-Kaip skated with McMahon and Prpich quite a bit.

-Zajac and Stafford were kept together most of the night, and both looked good.

-Murray, Spirko and Porter were kept together most of the night.

-Foyt had the only penalty. It was called by the other ref, who I didn't catch his name.

-Radke still looked a little out of place.

I will try to remember more, but I'm sure others will help. (schmidtdoggydog, jloos, driscol)

Moreland gets no respect, no respect :blush:

RIP Rodney D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah. They forgot to announce Jake Moreland (who aparently is on the team, wearing #5 with no name on the jersey). They announced him as an afterthought about 2 minutes after everybody else was announced.