SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

People will have to help me out, I don't remember everything.

-The White team won 5 or 6 to 0.

-Rylan Kaip scored. McMahon went into the net a got the puck for him. :D

-Kaip skated with McMahon and Prpich quite a bit.

-Zajac and Stafford were kept together most of the night, and both looked good.

-Murray, Spirko and Porter were kept together most of the night.

-Foyt had the only penalty. It was called by the other ref, who I didn't catch his name.

-Radke still looked a little out of place.

I will try to remember more, but I'm sure others will help. (schmidtdoggydog, jloos, driscol)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Massen also scored a goal or two. He played with Zajac and Stafford most of the scrimmage.

Lee Marvin looked to solidified a spot on the 4th line also.

-bochesnski scores 1 goal on 3 shots vs the crunch in a 5-3 win..goehring get loss

..does not look like panzer played in this game

other known players from wcha in this game above..

-joe motzko (st. cloud) had 1 goal

-grant potulny (-1)

-ryan bayda has 1 goal in 1 game for lowell lockmonsters in preseason

-jason notermann 2 games 1 assist for worcester icecats in preseason

-matt demarchi 1 game 2 assisits for albany

An interesting sidenote on what is defined as a former player.

Josh Siembida looked "stellar" last night only allowing 5 goals in a miracle OT victory for Quinnipiac over Windfred Laurier.

Now, in defense of Josh, perhaps Winfred was a decent team and Quinnipiac didn't recruit any defensemen the last four years. It is a possiblity.

Edit: Changed it to Quinnipiac. Merrimack and Quinnipiac: both schools that are easily mixed up because both are worthless hockey programs.

Karl Goehring from Hockey's Future

Goaltending

Goaltending remains the most critical position for Syracuse in the new campaign. Returning for the third straight season are the tandem of 21-year-old Pascal Leclaire and 26-year-old Karl Goehring. Both players were moderately successful last season and each will need to continue to improve for the Crunch to find success.

This season is easily the most important of Pascal Leclaire

FYI, just got some pictures online from the preseason game between the Albany River Rats and Worcester Ice Cats. Hale and Parise both played for Albany; didn't see Notermann on Worcester's roster although it definitely contained a few mistakes.

http://devsrule.com/2004_10/2004_10_09_P1.html (through page 21)

I'm sure I'll make a few more Rats games during the lockout.

I'm looking to buy a ticket for the October 29 game at Boston College. If anyone has any tips on where I could get one in advance, please let me know (devsrule@nyc.rr.com). I'm in NYC so I don't want to take time off work to drive up to Boston without knowing if I'll be able to get in. Won't lie - I'm a BC fan, but I'll be taking pictures of both teams.

thanks for any help,

-Melissa

sat night.16th.AHL GAMES..

syracuse vs binghamton....panzer 1 goal vs bochenski 1 assist. 4-1 binghamton wins..........

bridgeport vs albay...albany loses 4-1..parise 1 assist.....

portland 4 st johns 1...jason ulmer 1 assist for portland

lowell wins 5-4 win over providence..ryan bayda 1 goal 1 assist for lowell

sunday night 17th AHL GAMES

jason ulmer 2 assists for portland in 5-4 win

Many of you keep referring to something called the "NHL" and I'm not sure what it is, but I know it don't exist.

At least not this year and they are talking about scabs for NEXT year.

Oh well. We have Sioux hockey and they never go on strike/lockout.

USA Hockey has a good article on Zach Parise on its Web site.

"Playing my freshman year, I was always looking forward to the [NHL]draft," Parise said. "I wouldn't say it was pressure, but it was always something to think about. Last year, I just played ... except when the Devils came to watch [and] I got a little nervous."

More properly should be in "Former Players now Coaching" category, from NHL.COM:

Dave Tippett: Good coaching makes good coaches

Tippett then played two years for Gasparini at the University of North Dakota, winning a national championship in 1982 on a team that included Patrick, Craig Ludwig, Rick Zombo, Troy Murray, Dave Donnelly and goalies Darren Jensen and Jon Casey.

Teammate Cary Eades is back at North Dakota as an assistant coach. Eades was a two-time NCAA titlist as a senior in 1982, having won the 1980 NCAA title after losing the title game the year before, 4-3, to Minnesota. He remembers Tippett for his courage, determination and understanding of hockey.

"Dave was phenomenally mature for his age," Eades said. "Right away it was like we had an extra coach on the bench. He'd make guys aware of line changes and he'd study the other team. That was really apparent. At that time in his career, he was an above-average player, but through his work ethic and understanding of the game, he developed into an NHLer.

"This is something I'll never forget: Dave had a really bad thigh bruise and couldn't play the semifinal. It was bleeding inside and swollen so badly he couldn't wear regular pants. He had to wear sweatpants. It was obvious he wasn't going to be allowed to play in the final against Wisconsin, but Dave wouldn't take the doctors' opinion. The day before the game we get to practice and coach Gasparini freaked out when he saw Tippett, wearing all his gear and trying to skate on one leg. Gino went bonkers on Dave, but in a respectful way. You'd have to cut off his leg to keep him off the ice. That shows his mental toughness. He is one of the most mentally tough people I've ever known in my life.

"His success as a player and now as a coach is not surprising, if you know his background. He was seeing things that were beyond us, experience-wise. Dave is also a very intelligent man, business-wise and hockey-wise. If had a little more size or offensive ability, who knows what the end result would have been, but he was smart enough to know his role and master it so that he was a very valuable member of any team he was on. We're very proud, all of us at North Dakota, of what Dave has accomplished."

How did you end up at North Dakota? I see that only one player from your championship team, leading scorer Phil Sykes, is in the Fighting Sioux Hall of Fame. That's a tough Hall.

I'm heading up there in a couple weeks for homecoming and to see the new Ralph Engelstad Arena. They're inducting one more member, Darren Jensen, and Dave Christian, who played on the 1979 team that lost the title game, 4-3, to Minnesota. They're also inducting the whole 1980 team. Sykes played on all three teams. He earned it.

My brother was at Michigan and I was looking around while also getting recruited. North Dakota had an outstanding program and Gino was a well-respected coach. It seemed like a good fit. There were six freshmen that year that Gino said might be the best recruiting class in the history of the NCAA. All six went on to the NHL. Patrick, Donnelly, Gord Sherven and me all left to join the Canadian national team after two years. Zombo stayed three years. Jim Archibald was the only one to stay four years and then he played for Minnesota.

I remember the great leadership that Gino and his staff got from the players like Sykes, Cary Eades and Dean Dachyshyn. We had older guys who were real character players who knew how to win. We had a great group of freshman. The middle-classes guys like Murray and Glen White were high-end players and we had great goaltending. Sixteen guys on that team played some type of pro hockey.

Several have had successful coaching careers. That reflects a great deal on Gasparini. To play for him you had to structurally know how to play the game. With him, it was always commitment to team play.

TSN.ca

Commodore speaks his mind on the lockout

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aparently there is a brain under all that hair.

Rant:

Ok, it's not like either side is wrong, but just who is the ultimate loser sitting at the table? If teams start folding, the owners just take a loss of investment and move on with their lives. If the NHL folds, the players just move on with ANOTHER CAREER. Sure, some of them (the older ones) have enough money so that they could feasibly retire and never work again, so let them. The NHL doesn't need the old players when they have young and exciting ones to watch like Ilya Kovalchuk, Rick Nash, and a few others. I really think it is the Union who is killing the NHL. They need to swallow their pride and come back to work. Or the owners need to say "F&*^ YOU!" and hire scabs. The reality is this: Players come and go, but once a team is gone, it's gone barring some miracle.

End Rant