SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Commie is the only Sioux alum to make it the 2nd round. Belfour has a chance tonight. The first round was not kind to the rest, Blake, Hale, Johnson, Johnson, Bombadir - I'm assuming I forgot at least one.

Who is more likely to bring the Cup to GF? Belfour did it the first time he won it. Commie only played a couple of years, but he has made some nice donations to UND and appears to have liked his time here, would have to think he would bring it.

I really want to see Belfour win, but it would be fun to see Ottawa and Phily those two have some bad blood.

My $$ is on Calgary for the upset - great goaltending and a couple of players that can get a point a game. Also a decent D core- Leopold is one of the better D men in the NHL. Hard for me to say but I still think he was the best college hockey player the past 10 years.

I believe jloos brings up a good point how commie is the only one to make the 2nd round. It would be nice to see the flames win and be this years ducks but it appears that Belfour has a better shot of winning the cup due to playing in the easier Eastern Conference. Still i wish good luck to Mike and the flames hopefully they knock out the wings.

Belfour is the only reason that the Leafs have made it this far and I think he could carry the team to the cup, he looked solid again tonight!

Good luck to Eddie and Commie in the 2nd round!

I think Commodore will need it more than Belfour. Pang was giving major props to him in game 7 against Ottawa.

Calgary is definitely the dark horse team. They are going to play an excellent Detroit team that may outmatch them. Who knows, though. Stranger things have happened. Of all three series, I'd say the Detroit-Calgary series should be the most interesting. Young-talented vs. Old-talented.

Karl picked up his second playoff win on Friday.

http://www.syracusecrunch.com/stats/games.cfm?objectID=372

He stopped 32 of 34 shots, again against the Americans who are back stopped by Ryan Miller (former Hobey Baker winner).

Once again Karl has proved he's better than Columbus's former 1st round draft pick Pascal LeClaire who has not lived up to expectations, while Karl has consistently exceeded expectations.

TSN's view of Commadore

from TSN.ca

Flames - Wings

``You want to make it miserable for him - but not like I did,'' said Mike Commodore, whose repeated cross-checks on Holmstrom late in the third period set the stage for one of three of Detroit's power-play goals.
``I was hoping to get away with it, but it took about a second and a half and the puck was in the net,'' said Commodore, whose mop of unruly, flaming red curls has made him the most identifiable member of the Calgary squad.

• 1 month later...

The Milwaukee Admirals of the AHL won this year's Calder Cup (AHL's version of the Stanley Cup). This team features our own Tony Hrkac, Curtis Murphy, and Bryan Lundbohm.

Curtis Murphy was named the Eddie Shore Defenseman of the year winner this year.

Congrats all!

Tony was among the team leaders in goals scored this season, too.

Karl picked up his second playoff win on Friday.

http://www.syracusecrunch.com/stats/games.cfm?objectID=372

He stopped 32 of 34 shots, again against the Americans who are back stopped by Ryan Miller (former Hobey Baker winner).

Once again Karl has proved he's better than Columbus's former 1st round draft pick Pascal LeClaire who has not lived up to expectations, while Karl has consistently exceeded expectations.

So, in playoff type games, to include college, the score is

Karl G. - 3

Ryan Miller - 0

:(

That's why I will always say Panzer was robbed. Miller wasn't even the best goalie in college hockey that year, let alone the best player... ;)

I wanted Jeff Panzer to win the Hobey in 2001 as much as anyone, but it's lame to use Ryan Miller's performance since winning the award to prove that Panzer was robbed. I still fume when I hear the "phantom assists in Grand Forks" lie repeated about Panzer's scoring title.

But Miller had an incredible 18 shutouts in two seasons. Karl Goehring had 15 shutouts in four seasons. Miller broke the NCAA career shutout record in two seasons, a record that had stood for 70 years!

In 2001, the year Miller won the Hobey, he had 31 wins, a 1.31 goals-against average, a .950 save percentage and 10 shutouts. He was a very worthy Hobey recipient. If not for Miller's amazing season, I'm sure Panzer would have won the award.

Now, if Hockey East favorite Brian Gionta had won the Hobey in 2001, I would have agreed that Panzer was robbed. But considering the fact that Gionta has had a far more successful NHL career than either Miller or Panzer, perhaps Sioux fans would agree with BC fans that Gionta was robbed. ;):(

I wanted Jeff Panzer to win the Hobey in 2001 as much as anyone, but it's lame to use Ryan Miller's performance since winning the award to prove that Panzer was robbed. I still fume when I hear the "phantom assists in Grand Forks" lie repeated about Panzer's scoring title.

But Miller had an incredible 18 shutouts in two seasons. Karl Goehring had 15 shutouts in four seasons. Miller broke the NCAA career shutout record in two seasons, a record that had stood for 70 years!

In 2001, the year Miller won the Hobey, he had 31 wins, a 1.31 goals-against average, a .950 save percentage and 10 shutouts. He was a very worthy Hobey recipient. If not for Miller's amazing season, I'm sure Panzer would have won the award.

Now, if Hockey East favorite Brian Gionta had won the Hobey in 2001, I would have agreed that Panzer was robbed. But considering the fact that Gionta has had a far more successful NHL career than either Miller or Panzer, perhaps Sioux fans would agree with BC fans that Gionta was robbed. :(;)

Bah. Using facts again to manipulate the masses! ;););)

I don't know how this will affect Karl, but the Blue Jackets just acquired Arturs Irbe... Karl falls down another notch on the depth chart ;)

It makes me wonder what he has to do to get to the big time.

Irbe is at the twilight of his career and Karl is an up and coming star.

I hope Irbe just retires after he fails to make the line up on a regular basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that Nashville resigned Hrkac. Hopefully, he'll get a chance to play in the NHL next year.

The Predators re-signed veteran center Tony Hrkac to a one-year deal. Hrkac played last season for the Predators AHL farm team in Milwaukee and led the Admirals in scoring with 59 points.

Some nice words about Hale and Martin from G.M. Lou Lamoriello

ESPN.com Lamoriello Interview

ESPN.com: Which player made the most significant strides in your estimation or had the biggest impact?

Lamoriello: If I have to look back at the end of a season at one or two players that stand out we haven't played the way our system dictates us to play. But our two young defensemen -- David Hale and Paul Martin -- are highlights because they came right out of college and we gave them a Devils uniform and gave them the minutes and the opportunity and they accepted them. And they are both character and quality individuals.