SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

cindy crosby :silly: cindy i stepped up in game 7 and the whole damn series crosby :) ill take my chances with the kid :D

I don't get the "anti-Sid" stuff.

I know he gets lots of hype. I remember we had a player that got lots of hype, too.

I think they have similar games, too. Not great size but will go to the net to get garbage goals.

Sid's good - let's give him his due.

I hope so too... for my own selfish reasons.

I think Pittsburgh will own Carolina in the next series. I personally think you're lucky that Boston lost tonight, or the Stanley Cup representatives from the East would have been the Bruins. I'll give Carolina their due...they won, Boston lost - and that's all that matters at this point.

I think Pittsburgh will own Carolina in the next series. I personally think you're lucky that Boston lost tonight, or the Stanley Cup representatives from the East would have been the Bruins. I'll give Carolina their due...they won, Boston lost - and that's all that matters at this point.

This one is hard to swallow. I think the B's lost the series in game 2. That was a pittiful effort in front of the home team.

I hope the Pens lose. I would love to see the Whalercanes and the Blackhawks and yep I am chearing for

the blackhawks and ironically as I type this I am wearing Toews T-Shirt.

I don't care who wins as long as Cindy Crosby's team doesn't win.

Crosby and company will be in the Stanley Cup Finals this year. I just hope that Chicago can beat Detroit and Toews ends up with a ring this year.

I personally think that (in an abstract way) you're lucky the Bruins lost to Carolina, as it will save you from being proven wrong about who would have won between the Penguins and Bruins. As soon as the Pens beat Washington I knew they were going to the finals. New Jersey and Washington were the only teams in the Eastern Conference that I feared. Boston/Carolina makes no difference, the Pens were going to own either one of them. If anything, Carolina may be slightly more difficult to dispose of. I had the Pens over Boston in 5 games, it may take 6 to exterminate the Canes.

When you're wrong can I cook you up some crow on the Grill?

You have to click on the headline "Aces rout Vegas, take 2-0 series lead" to access the page and video.

It doesn't show anything regarding Lammy tossing a stick into the stands.

Ya, no stick throwing video, but the slew foot and the run were on there. Side note, Alaska finished off Vegas last night for the sweep. JPL finished with a 0.75 GAA for the series. They play either South Carolina or Cincy for the Kelly Cup.

I'm not going to say which team will win between the Penguins and Carolina, but if Carolina goes to the Cup Finals, I won't be one bit surprised. They're playing team hockey right now...the key ingredient for a Cup run. I was mad when they beat out the Devils, but wanted them to beat the Bruins. Don't think the Hawks can hang with Detroit (hope the Hawks sweep them in 4, but I highly doubt that), so I'm pulling for Bayda and the 'Canes.

I don't get the "anti-Sid" stuff.

I know he gets lots of hype. I remember we had a player that got lots of hype, too.

I think they have similar games, too. Not great size but will go to the net to get garbage goals.

Sid's good - let's give him his due.

Sid is indeed good. However, Toews (whom I think you are referring to), is better in front of a microphone.

Sid is a good hockey player, but he's not as good as the media thinks he is. Offensively, he is ROUTINELY outplayed over the course of a season and even the playoffs by Ovechkin. Defensively among forwards he's not among the top three in that category.

If Crosby is "that good," then AO is even better offensivly and Datsyuk makes Crosby look puny defensively and in all around game. So where does that put Crosby? A-HA! Enter the media-fed hype machine.

Crosby has the makings to be a great hockey player over the course of a career at this pace. However, is he the best in the game in any given season? No. Is he among the best? I'd have to say yes. Does he stand out if you take away the media? I'm not sure. I guess I'd have to watch every Penguin game over the course of a season with and without Crosby to know that.

Will he be remembered as a great hockey player? At this rate, yes.

Will he be a Hall of Famer? Again, at this rate, yes.

Is he what the hype machine makes of him ("the next Gretzky")? No.

Let's do a direct statistical comparison and assume the following conditions:

WHA stats don't count

The "state of hockey" is the same (this presents a flaw in the analysis, but otherwise analysis isn't possible regardless and the media is blowing a lot of smoke without need of comparison)

The teammate effect doesn't matter

Sidney Crosby has played 4 years in the NHL. He has played 290 regular season games and 38 playoff games. Total offensive numbers are:

Regular season: 132g 165a

Playoffs: 21g 32a

Total: 153g 198a

Wayne Gretzky's first 4 years he played 319 regular season games and 33 playoff games.

Regular season offensive totals: 261g 440a

Playoffs: 26g 48a

Total: 287g 488a

Sid the Kid has 3 NHL awards to his name after 4 seasons (could be more after this season).

The Great One had 10.

Great comparison, no? In summation, calling Crosby the next "great one" is fine, but anyone who does so is pretty much saying that they are mentally incapable of rational thought.

And, before you all jump on me asking "When was Sid ever compared to Gretzky?" just listen to the media during Sid's first few NHL seasons. His name and Gretzky's come up ALL THE F---ING TIME.

He is not. He will never be. AO has a better shot at reaching Gretzky's season goal scoring mark than Crosby ever will. I DOUBT Sid the Kid ever touches the 50 goal mark. AO has done it now what... let's put it this way. AO has played 4 seasons in the NHL. He's only failed to score 50 or more goals in a season ONE SEASON.

Seriously, if we want to make that comparison, I think we should be talking more of AO than Crosby.

And I don't even like AO. He's a showboater. I feel he can be rather reckless on the ice at times too.

Kinda vitriolic considering that I still respect both of them for what they do. I just resent the media (DUH!) for not allowing their play to speak for themselves.

I hate hype. I can honestly say that and mean it.

I think the Crosby-Gretzky comparison is similar to LeBron-Jordan. Each played in different eras and essentially in a different league. Would Wayne put up those same stats today as he did back in his time? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think anyone would complain about having Crosby on their team. It's unfair for players who just go out and play the game to get comparisons of the game's legends.

Look at QB's of the 70s and 80s in the NFL compared to QB's today. There were great QB's then, but the game was so different that the stats are no comparison.

Am I a Crosby fan? No. I just take him for what he's worth, and he's someone you have to pay attention to every shift he's on the ice. I think it's fair to say that Crosby has done considerably well for someone of his age and with the amounts of pressure put on him. He's already taken his team to a Stanley Cup final, and is putting his team in position for another appearance.

Winning is what matters, and Sidney, the leader of his team, has done that so far, despite not having his name engraved on that coveted trophy yet.