SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Yeah. NJ chose an ill opportuned time to suck.

Carolina faces Boston now. I have strong odds that, at best for Carolina, Boston takes it in 6.

Detroit plays Anaheim. Now, truthfully, Detroit should blow them out of the water. Reality-wise, part of me is saying 7 games.

I think the NHL analysts are far too complimentary of the Hawks D. I think Vancouver ends the Hawks' season... I'll say in 6. On a tangent, Luongo needs to get a new mask. His plain dirty white mask is UGLY.

Datsyuk takes the Selke Trophy again.

Washington's run ends in this next round.... I think they play Pittsburgh. Gosh... Two teams that are overhyped. I wish both teams could lose.

NHL on the Fly is going to be hard to watch. They'll spend 15 minutes of a 45 minute show analyzing every move Ovechkin makes and counteranalysing with Crosby's actions.

Top Losers of this year's playoffs thus far (in no particular order):

1. San Jose

2. Sean Avery

3. Donald Brashear

4. Mike Cammelleri

5. Cristobal Huet (ok, he never saw the ice, but I think that's the point. He was brought in to replace Khabibulin and he became a sieve-like $$$ benchwarmer)

6. New Jersey - Silver lining is that at least they made it a series... San Jose only made it close twice.

I'll add more, but right now, the only teams that get a pass on this list are Columbus and St. Louis. I think both teams did their very best to get where they ended up and could not be expected to have done more in the playoffs despite being swept.

Redwing had the Hawks dead and buried after game 4 in series one. And it also looks like he didn't watch much of the Ducks/Sharks series either. No one that paid attention expects the Wings to blow the Ducks out of the water.

Jim- Maybe, and I can understand the dislike for the Wings. We've been dominant for a while now and we do spend a lot of money (despite the fact that some of our best players came from the draft). However, the Caps and the Pens are deplorable to me because of Crosby and Ovechkin. Yeah, they're good hockey players, but seriously.... who cares about the team? As long as AO and Sid "The NHL God Child" Crosby are facing off, who cares?

I think the Pens/Caps series would be AWESOME if Crosby and AO were scratched for the series. Of course, the media would still cover the two not playing, but I think the commentators would do a better job of covering the teams rather than analysing every time AO or Crosby even blinks at one another.

It looks like stickboy misread my post. I said, on paper, Detroit should blow Anaheim out of the water. Reality is, though, so should have San Jose. San Jose not only didn't blow them out, they didn't show up for most of the games against Anaheim. Nabakov got burned a few times, but never gave up any really truly weak goals. Osgood was giving up weak goals all over the place in Game 4 vs. Columbus.

I don't see the Wings winning in less than 7 games. I just don't. I think there's also a pretty good chance that the Ducks end the Wings' season.

Osgood has "shot his wad" so to speak in Games 1-3 vs. Columbus. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

As for the Hawks, yeah I did have them out. They looked AWFUL in Calgary. Khabibulin looked Osgood-like in weak goals. Yeah, they pulled it off.

I think Vancouver's offense is better than Calgary's (and that's saying a lot considering how good Iginla is).

So, yeah, I'm a negative Nick and saying it is going to be Vancouver awaiting the victors of the Detroit/Anaheim series.

Jim- Maybe, and I can understand the dislike for the Wings. We've been dominant for a while now and we do spend a lot of money (despite the fact that some of our best players came from the draft). However, the Caps and the Pens are deplorable to me because of Crosby and Ovechkin. Yeah, they're good hockey players, but seriously.... who cares about the team? As long as AO and Sid "The NHL God Child" Crosby are facing off, who cares?

I think the Pens/Caps series would be AWESOME if Crosby and AO were scratched for the series. Of course, the media would still cover the two not playing, but I think the commentators would do a better job of covering the teams rather than analysing every time AO or Crosby even blinks at one another.

It looks like stickboy misread my post. I said, on paper, Detroit should blow Anaheim out of the water. Reality is, though, so should have San Jose. San Jose not only didn't blow them out, they didn't show up for most of the games against Anaheim. Nabakov got burned a few times, but never gave up any really truly weak goals. Osgood was giving up weak goals all over the place in Game 4 vs. Columbus.

I don't see the Wings winning in less than 7 games. I just don't. I think there's also a pretty good chance that the Ducks end the Wings' season.

Osgood has "shot his wad" so to speak in Games 1-3 vs. Columbus. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

As for the Hawks, yeah I did have them out. They looked AWFUL in Calgary. Khabibulin looked Osgood-like in weak goals. Yeah, they pulled it off.

I think Vancouver's offense is better than Calgary's (and that's saying a lot considering how good Iginla is).

So, yeah, I'm a negative Nick and saying it is going to be Vancouver awaiting the victors of the Detroit/Anaheim series.

sid and AO are two of the best players if not the best 2 in the league and thank god someone in the NHL brings flare to the game which is so needed in AO. Not sure what media you are referring to as there isnt much major media covergae anyhow for the NHL, all tsn (canada), nhl network and vs and thats it pretty much. thank goodness for sid and AO and malkin, the nhl needed them and they are the new faces in a sport that is ran by a complete idiot. any covergare even if it is just AO and sid is still good for the league but the thing is its deserved credit they get as they are great players. sean avery was dead on in his E60 interview when he said the nhl is broing and most of their stars are very boring as well. like him or not hes exactly right and thats why AO especially is huge for the sport in north america. the rivalry between sid and AO is great for the sport and the rivalry between AO and malkin is just as good for the sport. everyone knows the redwings are a dominant franchise and thats why many dislike them as casual fans want to see other teams besides one team win it year after year.

sid and AO are two of the best players if not the best 2 in the league and thank god someone in the NHL brings flare to the game which is so needed in AO. Not sure what media you are referring to as there isnt much major media covergae anyhow for the NHL, all tsn (canada), nhl network and vs and thats it pretty much. thank goodness for sid and AO and malkin, the nhl needed them and they are the new faces in a sport that is ran by a complete idiot. any covergare even if it is just AO and sid is still good for the league but the thing is its deserved credit they get as they are great players. sean avery was dead on in his E60 interview when he said the nhl is broing and most of their stars are very boring as well. like him or not hes exactly right and thats why AO especially is huge for the sport in north america. the rivalry between sid and AO is great for the sport and the rivalry between AO and malkin is just as good for the sport. everyone knows the redwings are a dominant franchise and thats why many dislike them as casual fans want to see other teams besides one team win it year after year.

Actually I am kind of partial to Marc Savard, Zedno Chara and Milan Lucic. ???

Actually I am kind of partial to Marc Savard, Zedno Chara and Milan Lucic. ???

and thats great as thats your team but the nhl is already hanging by a thread as we speak medie coverage wise in the united states thanks to the d-bag gary bettman so sid and AO and malkin and a few others are needed more than ever and i know you realize that as a nhl fan in general but just pointing it out! go hawks and i cant wait to see this wash/pitt series!

It was just announced that Travis Zajac will be joining Team Canada in Switzerland in time for their next game.

i was hoping to hear this!! zajac had a hell of a season overall and will benefit from it in the long term and this is a good start representing canada

and thats great as thats your team but the nhl is already hanging by a thread as we speak medie coverage wise in the united states thanks to the d-bag gary bettman so sid and AO and malkin and a few others are needed more than ever and i know you realize that as a nhl fan in general but just pointing it out! go hawks and i cant wait to see this wash/pitt series!

Bruno was on with Kevin Gorg yesterday on KFAN and they were basically talking about how no one really go to see the Carolina and New Jersey in game 7. Wow, what a finish. There was really no reason they could have had those two games on seperate nights or at different times so they could both be seen. I know hockey is a niche sport but I think maybe they need to figure out how to market the game better. Also, on your side of the country some places are reporting that the NHL is now running the Yotes. Whether that is true it yet to be seen.

Bruno was on with Kevin Gorg yesterday on KFAN and they were basically talking about how no one really go to see the Carolina and New Jersey in game 7. Wow, what a finish. There was really no reason they could have had those two games on seperate nights or at different times so they could both be seen. I know hockey is a niche sport but I think maybe they need to figure out how to market the game better. Also, on your side of the country some places are reporting that the NHL is now running the Yotes. Whether that is true it yet to be seen.

I was listening to ESPN Radio and they interviewed Gary "Fire me now" Bettman and he basically implied that the NHL was, at the very least, working very closely with Phoenix.

In my opinion, Phoenix was a market that never panned out. It's very unfortunate. And, what's worse, the NHL isn't economically stable enough to really do much with it.

Gary also said that ratings were up on the NHL. How is this possible when Vs. isn't even included in basic cable? OR is it? I can see why it would be among the higher rated programs on Versus, though. Other than MMA, what's on Versus anyways? Fishing shows? Please. Fishing is fun to do, but it ranks up there with bowling and billiards as "Not for TV games and sports."

DaveK- I have no problem with Lemieux and Gretzky now. They proved themselves nicely. But, to truthfully answer your question, I had no opinion on them. I wasn't really exposed to much hockey until I was in high school. And even then, I really didn't watch many hockey events on TV. So, no, I didn't really have much of an opinion on the rivalry while those two faced each other.

My opinion is that AO and Crosby are great players, but their teams are the ones that win games. They factor into the game, sure, but they aren't THE team. Be a fan of the team, great. Like AO, sure. But I'm more interested in team play, rather than individual showdowns.

------------------------------

In other news, I was quite surprised at Game 1 for in the Hawks-Canucks series. However, I will note, that none of Vancouver's goals were weak. That's great news for fans of Khabibulin. I love how resilient the Hawks are. However, in the end, the Canucks won because they forced the Hawks to make mistakes. I think this is a trend that is going to continue. I'm now further convinced that this will be an exciting series, but I still think that the Canucks progress.

In Game 1 of the Boston-Carolina series, nothing new to report. NJ dropped a load on the ice and, thus far, that opinion is standing up nicely.

In Game 1 of the Anaheim-Detroit series, I'll say this: If Anaheim continues to hold Detroit's offense to 3 goals or less, the better the chances are that Osgood will drop a stink log on the ice and Anaheim moves on. If Detroit scores more than 3 goals and doesn't have to spend much time more than 1 goal down, I think Detroit will advance. And I also guarantee that Game 4 vs. Columbus will not be an anomaly. Detroit will drop at least one of the games to Anaheim in stupendous blowout fashion. Yes, I am saying that one of the games Anaheim blows Detroit out of the arena. Being a Wings fan, I still say Detroit in 6.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh. I say the winner of Game 2 takes the series.

Washington vs. Pittsburgh. I say the winner of Game 2 takes the series.

We probably should have started an NHL playoffs thread instead of hiding out in the former players thread, but nonetheless -- I know what you're saying. Game 1 seemed just like game 1 of Washington-NYR but with Pittsburgh as Washington and Washington as NYR. Pittsburgh fans (and players) have to feel like they should have had that one, whereas I kind of feel like the Caps managed to steal it. If Washington can dig that hole deeper it becomes very hard to climb out of, but if the Penguins can tie it up then they'll likely have been the better team for two games in a row, worrying for Caps fans.

I feel like Washington was a lot deeper on offensive opportunities (which redwing77 should like -- team sport and all that) and the penalty kill was sharp. Of course the penalty kill wouldn't have had to be so sharp if not for the imbalance in PIM and what was with the defensive breakdowns? The defense was really pretty good against the Rangers, and needs to start stopping a few more of those shots from reaching the goaltender. Whatever the Crosby containment strategy was, it could use some work. Fortunately, Fleury looked a lot softer than Lundqvist, so outscoring Pittsburgh seems like an ongoing possibility even if the Penguin top line can't be completely shut down.

We probably should have started an NHL playoffs thread instead of hiding out in the former players thread, but nonetheless -- I know what you're saying. Game 1 seemed just like game 1 of Washington-NYR but with Pittsburgh as Washington and Washington as NYR. Pittsburgh fans (and players) have to feel like they should have had that one, whereas I kind of feel like the Caps managed to steal it. If Washington can dig that hole deeper it becomes very hard to climb out of, but if the Penguins can tie it up then they'll likely have been the better team for two games in a row, worrying for Caps fans.

I feel like Washington was a lot deeper on offensive opportunities (which redwing77 should like -- team sport and all that) and the penalty kill was sharp. Of course the penalty kill wouldn't have had to be so sharp if not for the imbalance in PIM and what was with the defensive breakdowns? The defense was really pretty good against the Rangers, and needs to start stopping a few more of those shots from reaching the goaltender. Whatever the Crosby containment strategy was, it could use some work. Fortunately, Fleury looked a lot softer than Lundqvist, so outscoring Pittsburgh seems like an ongoing possibility even if the Penguin top line can't be completely shut down.

Uh, Jim....

Fleury looked a lot softer than Lundqvist because he is.

I don't think this series is going to be a duel of goaltenders really.

Not acknowledging it either, just laughing hysterically at it. Truth be told, the Gophers are my favorite college hockey team that plays home games outside the state of North Dakota. :D

So, back to the point, how do you feel about those two Bruins?

I get the same questions from my friends, and although it makes my stomach queasy that these 2 play for the B's, as long as they're in Boston it's nice to see that they're doing good. If they get traded or go somewhere via free agency, then adios.

I'm a Bruin fan, and to take a line from Herb Brooks - it's about the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

I get the same questions from my friends, and although it makes my stomach queasy that these 2 play for the B's, as long as they're in Boston it's nice to see that they're doing good. If they get traded or go somewhere via free agency, then adios.

I'm a Bruin fan, and to take a line from Herb Brooks - it's about the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Once they became Boston Bruins they were no longer vile and disgusting. I thought I read somewhere that one of our former Sioux

were actually working out with Blake Wheeler.

But doesn't it make you feel like somewhat of a hypocrite to change your opinion of a player just because that player changed the jersey on his back? Honest question, not intended as smack.

They're still the same guys they were before. It must make you somewhat uncomfortable at the very least. I know I would feel a conflict of interest if the Green Bay Packers were to someday end up with a couple of former NDSU Bison in their starting lineup.

But you are going to quit being a fan of UND if they change the nickname and they aren't called the Fighting Sioux any longer. The players wouldn't even be changing teams, just nicknames. Doesn't that sound a little hypocritical?

Once they became Boston Bruins they were no longer vile and disgusting. I thought I read somewhere that one of our former Sioux

were actually working out with Blake Wheeler.

most all players that play for the sioux, gophers, denver, uw and so on all played together at some point in a select team, all star team, juniors, midgets ect........tons of gophers/sioux/uw/scsu players work out together in off seasons especially when most are from minnesota and live there in the summers. the bruins took one on the chin last night. good game by carolina. ryan bayda > wheeler/kessel :D:)