SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

An interesting read on Shane Pinto signing a new deal with the Senators. From the Athletic

But on Tuesday, shortly after Staios dumped Mathieu Joseph’s two-year, $2.95 million contract to St. Louis, the Ottawa general manager phoned Gross with a new offer.

As Pinto explained: “All of a sudden it just kind of changed. It all happened with just one phone call. Lewis said to me, ‘I think this is going to be the last phone call for a while.'” The Senators were willing to bump the AAV up to $3.75 million on a two-year deal, which was enough to convince Pinto to sign without any hesitation.

“It was such a sigh of relief,” said Pinto. “I said, ‘F— yeah. Let’s do it.” Pinto immediately jumped on a phone call to chat with Staios. In that conversation, there was not a single trace of animosity or lingering bitterness over a contract negotiation that likely went on a bit longer than each party desired.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-great-greg-johnson-posthumously-diagnosed-with-cte

Greg Johnson, UND's all-time leading hockey scorer, has been posthumously diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease affecting people with repeated concussions and head trauma.

"I’m so proud to have my dad’s legacy attached to this research and know the kindness and generosity he showed others during his life will continue to make a difference for years to come," said Piper Johnson, Greg’s youngest daughter. “He truly was the best dad ever, and to lose him to suicide was beyond anything we could imagine. It was awful, but we want to talk about it to help others struggling know they are not alone, and there is help available.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/10/2024 at 1:41 PM, brianvf said:

I'm not surprised and honestly the stupidity of any pro league denying CTE deserves any lawsuits they get. There is no point in denying CTE any longer, just accept it and help these athletes later in life.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit to still being a little frosty because Blake's timeline didn't line up with mine (mine was thinking smaller player and legacy would lead to another year).  But it's his life to lead, and when I get over it I'll consider him one of the most memorable players I've watched.  Just uncanny deception.  When he had the puck, there was always a chance of something magical happening.  (Sometimes for the other team if he coughed it up at the blue line with no one back, but he got better with experience.)

I recall he had a goal questionably disallowed as a freshman, so when he scored again later that period, he adamantly gave the referee's goal signal, pointing at the net.  Classic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jk said:

I'll admit to still being a little frosty because Blake's timeline didn't line up with mine (mine was thinking smaller player and legacy would lead to another year).  But it's his life to lead, and when I get over it I'll consider him one of the most memorable players I've watched.  Just uncanny deception.  When he had the puck, there was always a chance of something magical happening.  (Sometimes for the other team if he coughed it up at the blue line with no one back, but he got better with experience.)

I recall he had a goal questionably disallowed as a freshman, so when he scored again later that period, he adamantly gave the referee's goal signal, pointing at the net.  Classic.

Agreed. Would have loved to have seen one more year from him, especially with the team we already knew was coming back (and incoming). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jk said:

He didn't wait until the day before Fall classes started like a certain former player did a few years back, so I didn't have a problem with how Blake left. I just hope he can handle playing against grown men in a very physically challenging game.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 10:54 PM, brianvf said:

Spirko still trucking along in pro hockey...pretty impressive.
He's one of many that I wish we could have gotten another season out of...

I’ll always miss Sparky.

On 7/31/2024 at 10:54 PM, brianvf said:

Spirko still trucking along in pro hockey...pretty impressive.
He's one of many that I wish we could have gotten another season out of...

I can't believe that he's 40 already. That makes some of us old. :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I always wonder what his role would have been on that already stacked team.  Put him on the first line with Hrkac and Joyce?:D

It is a most interesting thought exercise.