SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a new poster I have noticed that monitoring junior league play of recruits seems to consist primarily of posting statistics. This is understandable I suppose given that few posters appear to be able to actually see these recruits in action. I enjoy reading the rare reports from posters who have seen the boys in action. I have been fortunate to see quite a few AJHL games this season in which Dell, MacWilliam and Knight have played. MacWilliam doesn't put up the scoring numbers or have GAA and save % that Dell has to act as indicators of how well he is doing. His type of game doesn't come across easily by looking at box scores but I have been able to find some info that paints a more complete picture for those who haven't seen him play. He's got good numbers for a D-man with 7 goals and 18 assists. More importantly he leads his team with +31 (next closest is +15) and has been named the Kodiaks Player of the Game 10 times this season (most recently on Feb 13). He's had a number of fighting majors but the box scores show that he has not had one instigating penalty. His most recent fight last week was against a Brooks Bandit player who had speared one of the Kodiaks the period before and had later thrown an elbow into the face of another Kodiak re-breaking his jaw (the victim was playing his first game after missing 30 games with a broken jaw and was wearing a full cage). What shows in the box score is a fighting major but what doesn't show is MacWilliam delivering a message to the other team on behalf of his fallen teammate. The box scores also don't show numbers of hits. I'd be willing to bet that MacWilliam leads the league in that category. I'm attaching link to Kodiaks stats that shows more than on the AJHL website. http://www.camrosekodiaks.com/2008season/kodiakstats.pdf

Alta- You are a breath of fresh air on this board! Thanks for the info.

I've really liked everything I've read about MacWilliam including this post. Thanks again, Alta. Sioux Habit- I hope you mean Greene from his last year and not his first. Matt turned into a nice player but most of his tenure with the Sioux was, imo, marred with bad penalties and slow decision making when breaking the puck out. The Mankato Greene/Blais incident is one of the classics. Of course I did love that he threw one big hit after another. I always thought he got a bunch of penalties for hitting too hard. ;) I don't think everything clicked for Matt until the 2nd half of his last season. That said, I enjoyed watching him with the Sioux, good and bad.

MacWilliam sounds like he'll fit in very nicely next season.

Alta- You are a breath of fresh air on this board! Thanks for the info.

I've really liked everything I've read about MacWilliam including this post. Thanks again, Alta. Sioux Habit- I hope you mean Greene from his last year and not his first. Matt turned into a nice player but most of his tenure with the Sioux was, imo, marred with bad penalties and slow decision making when breaking the puck out. The Mankato Greene/Blais incident is one of the classics. Of course I did love that he threw one big hit after another. I always thought he got a bunch of penalties for hitting too hard. ;) I don't think everything clicked for Matt until the 2nd half of his last season. That said, I enjoyed watching him with the Sioux, good and bad.

MacWilliam sounds like he'll fit in very nicely next season.

Saw the Canucks-Kodiaks game this afternoon. Impressive display by Kodiaks after losing 6-5 to Canucks on Friday. Dell played better giving up 5 on Friday in 46 shots than he did giving up 4 today on only 17 shots. Kodiaks played a controlled game and kept out of the penalty box. Olsen played a solid game for Kodiaks as did MacWilliam who showed no signs of the effects of a nasty hit from behind (according to Kodiaks broadcasters) the night before that caused him to miss a few shifts. There had to have been 30 scouts at the game today - presumably scouting Olsen. Good article on him and MacWilliam just posted on AJHL website. See link below. Canucks and Kodiaks do battle again next Saturday and could very likely meet in first round of playoffs starting Feb 24. Okotoks (Knight) will probably play Canmore Eagles in first round if they can't catch Brooks for first place in South Division. Grande Prairie (Rowney) will finish second in North and will play Lloydminster in first round. More opportunities for the 4 (or maybe 5) future Fighting Sioux to show their stuff. All games are broadcast (audio only) on internet and you can find broadcasts by going to "Schedule" and "Internet Broadcast Links" on AJHL website. Alberta time is one hour behind North Dakota.

http://ajhl.ca/news/2009/02/14/defensive-a...eading-kodiaks/

Saw the Canucks-Kodiaks game this afternoon. Impressive display by Kodiaks after losing 6-5 to Canucks on Friday. Dell played better giving up 5 on Friday in 46 shots than he did giving up 4 today on only 17 shots. Kodiaks played a controlled game and kept out of the penalty box. Olsen played a solid game for Kodiaks as did MacWilliam who showed no signs of the effects of a nasty hit from behind (according to Kodiaks broadcasters) the night before that caused him to miss a few shifts. There had to have been 30 scouts at the game today - presumably scouting Olsen. Good article on him and MacWilliam just posted on AJHL website. See link below. Canucks and Kodiaks do battle again next Saturday and could very likely meet in first round of playoffs starting Feb 24. Okotoks (Knight) will probably play Canmore Eagles in first round if they can't catch Brooks for first place in South Division. Grande Prairie (Rowney) will finish second in North and will play Lloydminster in first round. More opportunities for the 4 (or maybe 5) future Fighting Sioux to show their stuff. All games are broadcast (audio only) on internet and you can find broadcasts by going to "Schedule" and "Internet Broadcast Links" on AJHL website. Alberta time is one hour behind North Dakota.

http://ajhl.ca/news/2009/02/14/defensive-a...eading-kodiaks/

thanks a lot for the updates. hope we can figure out a way to get lsen in. that article was posted here a couple days ago. awesome article. would love to see teh duo both come to grand forks!! thanks again

thanks a lot for the updates. hope we can figure out a way to get lsen in. that article was posted here a couple days ago. awesome article. would love to see teh duo both come to grand forks!! thanks again

Yeah, Forbort and Olsen might be the two best defensemen to come in since first-rounders Lee and Finley.... ;)

In my earlier post I messed up on the SOG in the Canucks-Kodiaks game on Monday. Dell turned aside 34 of 38 shots. His teammates only mustered 17 against Flette the Kodiaks goalie. Late night posting is prone to errors I see.

I guess I didn't get the joke in that statement.

Lee and Finley were both first round draft picks that everyone expected to come to UND and tear it up, but when they didn't they both got thrown under the bus and the majority of Sioux fans don't like them....not including me.

I guess I didn't get the joke in that statement.

He was talking about them being first rounders and how people picked on them and called them the terrible 2's

and how some never really appreciated either of their talents.

Lee and Finley were both first round draft picks that everyone expected to come to UND and tear it up, but when they didn't they both got thrown under the bus and the majority of Sioux fans don't like them....not including me.

Yeah I don't get the blatant Finley hating. You still see it from time to time.

In spite of some of the posting on here the last couple years, majority my be exaggerated.

Yeah I don't get the blatant Finley hating. You still see it from time to time.

Yeah, I hear some pretty mean nicknames all the time about him. We were doing pretty badly without him this year. Whether it's because of Joe for other reasons, who knows, but Joe has played pretty well in my opinion since last year. He really moves his feet well now and is starting to use his body more. His passing outlet passes are second to none on the team IMO.

kristo 1a in 5-2 win tonight - tied for 4th on team with 32 pts 12-20=32 , 2nd on team with 125 shots

cichy - 10-12=22 pts in 12 games with indiana and 20-31=51 pts in 38 gp overall - 1st on team and 5th in ushl in scoring

danny mattson 4a in 8-1 win

derek forbort 1a, 2 pim in 8-1 win

kristo 1a in 5-2 win tonight - tied for 4th on team with 32 pts 12-20=32 , 2nd on team with 125 shots

cichy - 10-12=22 pts in 12 games with indiana and 20-31=51 pts in 38 gp overall - 1st on team and 5th in ushl in scoring

danny mattson 4a in 8-1 win

derek forbort 1a, 2 pim in 8-1 win

These four right here will be special..Forbort might be a first round pick, he's solid on the blue line..Danny Mattson what more can you say about the kid he changes the play of the game with his speed...Cichy and Kristo will make an impact next year I feel pretty comfortable with them coming in.

Also remember with Kristo's stats he missed a chunk of the season because of the World Juniors.

These four right here will be special..Forbort might be a first round pick, he's solid on the blue line..Danny Mattson what more can you say about the kid he changes the play of the game with his speed...Cichy and Kristo will make an impact next year I feel pretty comfortable with them coming in.

Also remember with Kristo's stats he missed a chunk of the season because of the World Juniors.

then throw in nick mattson with forbort as a top tier d man