SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - Tri-City - USHL

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS

MATT WHITE - F - Des Moines - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg Wild - Midget

CARTER ROWNEY - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

AARON DELL - G- Calgary Canucks - AJHL

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - Tri-City - USHL

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS

MATT WHITE - F - Des Moines - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg Wild - Midget

CARTER ROWNEY - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

AARON DELL - F - Calgary Canucks - AJHL

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

Isn't Dell a goalie? :huh:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like we have a helluva lot of forwards committed at this point granted some are still 3-4 years away.

We do have a good amount of seniors leaving.

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Ryan Martens

Andrew Kozek

Brad Miller

Ryan Duncan

Matt Watkins

Aaron Walski

Next years seniors will be (assuming they don't leave early, which is a chance too).

Chay Genoway

Darcy Zajac

Chris VandeVelde

That's 11 players right there. Who knows if a player like Gregoire or Frattin will leave early as well.

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Ryan Martens

Andrew Kozek

Brad Miller

Ryan Duncan

Matt Watkins

Aaron Walski

Next years seniors will be (assuming they don't leave early, which is a chance too).

Chay Genoway

Darcy Zajac

Chris VandeVelde

That's 11 players right there. Who knows if a player like Gregoire or Frattin will leave early as well.

yeah next year is full with seniors coming back and if forney does come back as suggested then mattson or knight would come in and have 2 extra forwards per night instead of 3 like this season. if genoway leaves then you bring in a d man late or get olsen and keep gleason back 1 more year would be ideal with genoway staying.

yeah next year is full with seniors coming back and if forney does come back as suggested then mattson or knight would come in and have 2 extra forwards per night instead of 3 like this season. if genoway leaves then you bring in a d man late or get olsen and keep gleason back 1 more year would be ideal with genoway staying.

For argument's sake I don't think Gleason would be very happy to spend another year in the USHL. Based on Brad's interview last summer he was O.K. with it this year but not in complete agreement: http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=30514 And other players have noted that the coaches usually give the player an option to come in if they believe they are ready, but they just don't gurantee any playing time.

This is the only conflict I see in Olsen's recruitment. Obviously he is a top-end prospect and a guy you definately bring in if he says yes, but it creates an interesting situation for next year's class. In my opinion they will have 8 d-men next year if Olsen chooses UND and Genoway stays and the players will be forced to compete. The one thing that keeps bugging about this is that a player may be compelled to leave if he feels his ice time will be limited. I guess we'll just have to see what Olsen decides.

For argument's sake I don't think Gleason would be very happy to spend another year in the USHL. Based on Brad's interview last summer he was O.K. with it this year but not in complete agreement: http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=30514 And other players have noted that the coaches usually give the player an option to come in if they believe they are ready, but they just don't gurantee any playing time.

This is the only conflict I see in Olsen's recruitment. Obviously he is a top-end prospect and a guy you definately bring in if he says yes, but it creates an interesting situation for next year's class. In my opinion they will have 8 d-men next year if Olsen chooses UND and Genoway stays and the players will be forced to compete. The one thing that keeps bugging about this is that a player may be compelled to leave if he feels his ice time will be limited. I guess we'll just have to see what Olsen decides.

good points. i dont see there a way to have 8 d men work with playing time. 7 is the number that works at this level as you can have the 6/7 guy rotate weekend games and still stay fresh and develop. unless olsen simply decides to wait to see what genoway does. who knows. i have no idea. just throwing ideas out there in order to get him as hes a big time player

good points. i dont see there a way to have 8 d men work with playing time. 7 is the number that works at this level as you can have the 6/7 guy rotate weekend games and still stay fresh and develop. unless olsen simply decides to wait to see what genoway does. who knows. i have no idea. just throwing ideas out there in order to get him as hes a big time player

I have no idea either. But something tells me by recruiting him the coaches know more about future departures then they admit. Because if you only count the current players/commitments the sioux will definately have 8 d-men in 2010 because there is no way forbort and mattson will be held back. If Olsen chose UND that would be 9 d-men that year. Long story longer I can speculate all I want but in the end the coaching staff certainly knows a lot more than I ever will when it comes to recruiting.

We actually ended up having 8 defense this year and Blood and Fienhage sat since Miller moved back. Gleason will be a good Defensemen he's got 17 points this year, his plus minus is brutal but there is no +'s on the entire team. I have no idea what the Olsen deal is but both could be brought in as I was just pointing out.

We actually ended up having 8 defense this year and Blood and Fienhage sat since Miller moved back. Gleason will be a good Defensemen he's got 17 points this year, his plus minus is brutal but there is no +'s on the entire team. I have no idea what the Olsen deal is but both could be brought in as I was just pointing out.

yes we have 8 but not by design. by default when fins got hurt and miller stepped in and was much more productive than being a forward. i am excited to see gleason as well but i was ust brainstorming on how to get olsen in as they wont carry 8 d men. it wont work unless 1 d man happens to be a walk on type or something that doesnt expect to play and we dont have that at d. maybe olsen waits his process out to see if genoway leaves or not right away? i have no clue. just trying to think of all possibilities on his status

Wouldn't we rather have Olsen than Gleason? No offense to Gleason, but Olsen is as highly touted as you can pretty much get by the sounds of it. The only downside is, we might only have Olsen 2, maybe 3 years versus Gleason 3-4 for sure.

yes but you aren gona pull a scholly because of that. the only way to do that would be to hold gleason back 1 more year or if genoway leaves IMO. you dont carry 8 d men at this level

ajhl tonight

macwilliam 2 pim in 4-2 win - 8th in ajhl with 214 pim

dell stopped 35 of 39 shots in 7-4 win - 6th in ajhl 2.45 gaa - 1st in minutes played 2,867 - tied for 4th in wins with 23 - tied for 1st in games played with 49 - 1st in sv% in ajhl .926

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Ryan Martens

Andrew Kozek

Brad Miller

Ryan Duncan

Matt Watkins

Aaron Walski

Chay Genoway

Darcy Zajac

Chris VandeVelde

I hear ya on player's leaving early...but I don't think we have to worry about Darcy Zajac!! Although I guess he could go over to some B league in Europe and play. For the first time in a while I do not see any early departures.

I hear ya on player's leaving early...but I don't think we have to worry about Darcy Zajac!! Although I guess he could go over to some B league in Europe and play. For the first time in a while I do not see any early departures.

I put Darcy on the list since he's a junior and will be gone after next year for sure. I mentioned the fact they can leave because VandeVelde could bolt, and a slim chance of Genoway. Darcy will be here next year for sure unless something absolutely strange happens, which isn't going to happen. Basically just look at the list of seniors and juniors.

I put Darcy on the list since he's a junior and will be gone after next year for sure. I mentioned the fact they can leave because VandeVelde could bolt, and a slim chance of Genoway. Darcy will be here next year for sure unless something absolutely strange happens, which isn't going to happen. Basically just look at the list of seniors and juniors.

Yeah I knew what you meant. Just kind of pointing out that Darcy has had a pretty lousy year.

Yeah I knew what you meant. Just kind of pointing out that Darcy has had a pretty lousy year.

Darcy isn't here to score, and if he does it's a plus. He's a grinder that's going to shut down some of the better players on opposing teams. He's a role player, and without players like Darcy, we wouldn't be as successful as we have been. Look at a team like Minnesota that stacks their talent but has no chemistry or role-players...that's what you'll get.

Darcy isn't here to score, and if he does it's a plus. He's a grinder that's going to shut down some of the better players on opposing teams. He's a role player, and without players like Darcy, we wouldn't be as successful as we have been. Look at a team like Minnesota that stacks their talent but has no chemistry or role-players...that's what you'll get.

I understand he is not here to score and I get the role player part etc...but you can't win if you do not put the puck in the net. I believe he had 8 or 9 as a freshman. He needs to score more than 2 goals....bottom line.

I understand he is not here to score and I get the role player part etc...but you can't win if you do not put the puck in the net. I believe he had 8 or 9 as a freshman. He needs to score more than 2 goals....bottom line.

Darcy had 10 pts as a freshie and 8 last year. He's got 13 this year, which I believe is more than both those years. :huh: There are plenty of guys to put the puck in the net, and as long as we win, I don't see a huge deal if he scores 2 goals or 30.

wow maybe some of you should have been at the earlier games this year when he was the hardest working player on the ice most night---lousey year ---hardly----hes playing hard every shift---hes having a great jr year unless you have to be on the stat sheet to have a good year----this is the reason i seldom post here but this one about darcy ---just not factual

Even if Genoway leaves early and we get Olsen, 2010 would be a logjam for D

1 Sr Marto

2 Sr Lapoint

3 Jr Blood

4 Jr Feinhage

5 So Mc Williams

6 So Olsen

7 So Gleason

8 Fr Mattson

I don't see Marto or Lapoint leaving early. Forbort is not on this list and he is a cinch to be a top draft pick and it would be hard to make him wait a year. Even if we don't get Olsen, it is still a logjam.

The numbers don't add up for Olsen to come here.