SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

UND football to host Portland State on Sept. 8, 2012 in nonconference game. Portland replaces Central Arkansas on UND schedule according to Wayne Nelson.

Is this the Potato Bowl game? If so, better than a lot of the dogs we have played in years past for Potato Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Is this the Potato Bowl game? If so, better than a lot of the dogs we have played in years past for Potato Bowl.

Yes it will

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/223074/group/homepage/

Portland State is a Big Sky Conference member and UND will join the league next season. The Sept. 8 game, however, will be a nonconference contest.

It will also be UND's annual Potato Bowl.

Next year is gonna be verrrrrryyyyyy different. I can't wait. If SD Mines remains on the schedule, it isn't the worst thing, but it would sure be nice to get a team like Valpo in (we play them several years from now also). What I am saying is get a FCS team in that is technically a counter, but an easy win.

Next year is gonna be verrrrrryyyyyy different. I can't wait. If SD Mines remains on the schedule, it isn't the worst thing, but it would sure be nice to get a team like Valpo in (we play them several years from now also). What I am saying is get a FCS team in that is technically a counter, but an easy win.

Can we get NW St back? We swept them in a home and home. Maybe Faison will be in front of a conference directory and a calendar to get rid of Mines. Anything DI would be great. Call James Madison :lol:

Central Arkansas, which lost to Montana last week in the second round of the FCS playoffs, will have to pay $150,000 to buy out of its contract with UND. No reasons were given for the decision, but Central Arkansas is scheduled to play a guarantee game next season at Ole Miss — an FBS program.

I think that number needs to go north of $250,000 from now on.

I would imagine when Cental Arkansas agreed to the original 2 game series they thought it would be 2 easy wins for them. First we beat them at their place. Then when they made the playoffs this year they realized that with UND being a ranked team this year that it would probably be tough to win the return game in Grand Forks. They decided they would rather buy the game out then take a loss next year in Grand Forks and maybe knocked themselves out of a playoff spot next year. It worked out great for UND. We get to have a future Big Sky team coming to Grand Forks. I do wonder what the financial deal was with Portland State to entice them to come to Grand Forks. Great job Mr. Faison. It really would be be great if they could get the Mines game switched too.

As other have said, good job by Faison to replace Central Arkansas so quickly. Both Massey and Sagarin have UCA and PSU ranked very closely, but it will be nice to get a preview of a Big Sky opponent a year earlier than planned. Still would have been nice to get a playoff team from this year at home though. Has anyone heard if its a one game deal with a guarantee for PSU or if we did a home and home deal? My guess would be a guarantee with the money from Central Arkansas but I haven't heard one way or another (might have just missed it).

It will be interesting to see if there is any room in the budget to get rid of the SD Mines game. As much as it pains me, I would rather see us go on the road against a counter than play a non-counter that is a no-win situation for the team.

I would imagine when Cental Arkansas agreed to the original 2 game series they thought it would be 2 easy wins for them. First we beat them at their place. Then when they made the playoffs this year they realized that with UND being a ranked team this year that it would probably be tough to win the return game in Grand Forks. They decided they would rather buy the game out then take a loss next year in Grand Forks and maybe knocked themselves out of a playoff spot next year. It worked out great for UND. We get to have a future Big Sky team coming to Grand Forks. I do wonder what the financial deal was with Portland State to entice them to come to Grand Forks. Great job Mr. Faison. It really would be be great if they could get the Mines game switched too.

Yeah everyone is scared of playing UND. You obviously didn't read the whole article as they are scheduled to play a guarantee game next season at Ole Miss. A bus trip that will net them some cash even after the buy out. Portland State should be a good game.

Yeah everyone is scared of playing UND. You obviously didn't read the whole article as they are scheduled to play a guarantee game next season at Ole Miss. A bus trip that will net them some cash even after the buy out. Portland State should be a good game.

To be clear, UCA did not trade UND for Ole Miss, as they are on different dates. They traded UND for Murray State. The article as written did however imply there was an Ole Miss tradeoff.

Biison Dan You obviously didn't check out all the facts. Murray State was the replacement game. Did I hear you say oops.

It is pretty clear that are not willing to risk a loss. So in a sense they are indeed afraid to come up and play us in our house. It seems like a lot the "better" schools are afraid to come up to North Dakota in general (Georgia Southern was supposed to play at NDSU); a stigma of sorts seems to be there in that these teams think that the world is ending if they lose in North Dakota.

Props to PSU for stepping up (even though we are most likely paying them and they desperately need more d1 games) as I think they learned their lesson after this seasons schedule.

I know this is asking too much but can we just get the Mines game replaced? I don't care who it is as long as it counts (D1).

It is pretty clear that are not willing to risk a loss. So in a sense they are indeed afraid to come up and play us in our house. It seems like a lot the "better" schools are afraid to come up to North Dakota in general (Georgia Southern was supposed to play at NDSU); a stigma of sorts seems to be there in that these teams think that the world is ending if they lose in North Dakota.

Props to PSU for stepping up (even though we are most likely paying them and they desperately need more d1 games) as I think they learned their lesson after this seasons schedule.

I know this is asking too much but can we just get the Mines game replaced? I don't care who it is as long as it counts (D1).

The question was asked in the Herald live chat yesterday, and according to either Wayne Nelson or Tom Miller (can't remember which one), it didn't sound likely that this game will be replaced for one with an FCS opponent.

The question was asked in the Herald live chat yesterday, and according to either Wayne Nelson or Tom Miller (can't remember which one), it didn't sound likely that this game will be replaced for one with an FCS opponent.

This game should never have been on the 2012 schedule. Probably too late to find a replacement. Of course we did get the Portland State last minute...so maybe we can reel in another FCS team. I just hope Faison is trying to find a replacement, becasue if he isn't even trying, that would be really unfortunate.

How about a FBS opponent. Go the NDSU route and make it against a winnable team. How about the bottom of the MAC or a Western Kentucky.

This game should never have been on the 2012 schedule. Probably too late to find a replacement. Of course we did get the Portland State last minute...so maybe we can reel in another FCS team. I just hope Faison is trying to find a replacement, becasue if he isn't even trying, that would be really unfortunate.

If I'm not mistaken, SD Mines doesn't even have a conference at present, so chances are they won't have a full 11-game schedule in 2012, just like Sioux Falls only had a nine-game schedule this past season. The point being, this was probably a game which could have been added at the last minute, if all else fell through with dI opponents. It would be interesting to hear the rationale behind not only scheduling this game, but announcing it so far in advance.

If I'm not mistaken, SD Mines doesn't even have a conference at present, so chances are they won't have a full 11-game schedule in 2012, just like Sioux Falls only had a nine-game schedule this past season. The point being, this was probably a game which could have been added at the last minute, if all else fell through with dI opponents. It would be interesting to hear the rationale behind not only scheduling this game, but announcing it so far in advance.

Problem is that the game is in Week 1. SD Mines would have no problem finding a D-II or NAIA school to play in the first two weeks of the season because that is when everyone is looking for non-conference games. They probably chose to play UND because they got a bigger guarantee than if they were to play a lower division school. I very much doubt that that they would still have a week one opening in March, however. If the schedule opening was in October or November... completely different story.

I would rather play an FBS on the road and take the chance of getting beat than play a DII (non counter) and win. At least with an FBS we get a paycheck. In the eyes of a playoff selection committee the DII game never happened. Our goal every year is to make the playoffs and how our schedule is set up now we are asking our team to win 7 out of 10 games in a new conference vs. schools much more established with their depth. Not easy for any team.