SiouxSports.com Forum

anyone watching this great stanley cup final

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am rooting for Pittsburgh and no matter what happens I love their future. But as I watch I am almost jealous that with our last 3 frozen fours we have not had that "great game" to watch. I will sleep well no matter who wins but this is a GREAT game for hockey going on right now.

You might happen to love their future but they are going to be a different team next season. Do you realize that literally half of their team will be UFA or RFA in approx 27 days? Right now they have a team full of young, inexpensive talent with the exceptions of Fleury, The Chernobyl Kid and Cindy Criesby.

After this run they are going to be a team of young, EXPENSIVE talent. With the salary cap in place you can wave bye-bye to a handful of the players whose value will have shot up after this season.

You might happen to love their future but they are going to be a different team next season. Do you realize that literally half of their team will be UFA or RFA in approx 27 days? Right now they have a team full of young, inexpensive talent with the exceptions of Fleury, The Chernobyl Kid and Cindy Criesby.

After this run they are going to be a team of young, EXPENSIVE talent. With the salary cap in place you can wave bye-bye to a handful of the players whose value will have shot up after this season.

yeah, it won't be the same team, but they will keep a majority of their core in place. like you said, sid and fleury are locked up for now, and maybe gonchar and whitney? but they have a lot of work to do this summer. it seems the first one out will be hossa, unless he takes a significant pay cut, which won't happen. i think i heard malkin has another year on his contract, but they want to get him signed long term this summer. the big ones would be if they could keep malone, staal and orpik. chances are they will lose one of these also with hossa, but we will see how savvy lemieux is this summer. like you said, with a cap in place, there is only so much you can do. i hope the pens keep on rolling and we have a game 7 to watch this weekend!!

Last nights game was awesome! They played so hard and to get a goal in the last 35 seconds of regulation then goto a third overtime. This is what the NHL needed, I just hope people are watching. It just re-enforces to me why hockey is the best sport to watch.

Still a little bitter about how the Eastern Conference Finals went down? :D

The Penquins and Red Wings are built to succeed in the new, post-lockout NHL. Talented, playmaking forwards, solid defensemen who chip in on offense (especially with the man advantage) and solid goaltending. Other franchises that are following this formula as they build their teams include the Blackhawks, Blues and Canadiens. If I left anyone out, someone please let me know.

Your team also has some good, young talent and they will be tough to beat during the regular season next year. But they had trouble skating with the Pens in the playoffs, just as the Dallas (South) Stars had trouble keeping up with the Red Wings. Teams like the Wild (or Mild as some on here like to call them), the Ducks (last year was a fluke) and the Stars are built for the pre-lockout NHL that no longer exists. The Flyers have enough consistent scoring throughout the line-up to be successful playing like this, but their lack of speed and playmaking still caught up with them in the conference finals. In fact, the Flyers are a lot like a certain college hockey team that most of us on this forum follow with a passion, but I will leave that for another discussion at another time.

You are right about the salary cap factor, but there are ways of managing it. The Pens should follow the formula the New England Patriots have used to stay on top; lock up your core players (Crosby, Malkin and Fleury) and surround them with solid complementary players who plug holes and do their jobs well. This model might work even better in hockey since hockey isn't the numbers game that football is and keeping just one or two stars on a hockey team will have a much bigger impact on the starting line-up than on a football team. Since hockey hasn't had a Cap for too long of a time, we'll have to just watch and see what happens.

GO PENS GO!!!

I'm rooting for the Pens, but the Red Wings are so much more skilled overall, it's not even close. Outshot 55-28, I believe, last night. Red Wings are dominant.

Pens will lose some players, but their AHL team is in the Calder finals, too, so they will reload with inexpensive role players and Goligoski will man the point for many years. They will be different next year, but not worse. Just the way the new NHL works.

I'm rooting for the Pens, but the Red Wings are so much more skilled overall, it's not even close. Outshot 55-28, I believe, last night. Red Wings are dominant.

Pens will lose some players, but their AHL team is in the Calder finals, too, so they will reload with inexpensive role players and Goligoski will man the point for many years. They will be different next year, but not worse. Just the way the new NHL works.

Thank you. Finally someone who is objective about the difference in talent. The Red Wings are far more skilled, and I'm tired of that whiny coach talking about obstruction and the officials swallowing whistles to allow the Pens to play with them. If the game was called evenly, it wouldn't even be close. The Wings are much, much more talented. Gill and Orpik are complete hacks, but the league lets them get away with it, just like they let Roberts and Malone get away with cheap shots to Franzen's head after he had been out with a concussion. I really do not like the East style of hockey.

Go Wings! I hate the goon style hockey of the Pens.

I think people are forgetting how young the Pens are. Most of their best players are in their early 20's. I am surprised that they made it this far this soon. The Red Wings have a nice blend of youth and experience, solid goaltending and forwards that backcheck when necessary. Detriot has one of the best teams they have ever had and it's amazing that the Pens are doing as well as they are in this series. I think the Flyers or Canadiens would have gotten swept by the Red Wings. The Flyers couldn't skate with the Red Wings and the Canadiens don't have the goaltending right now. Whether you love them or hate them, this isn't the last time you will see the Pens in the Stanley Cup finals. The Wild on the other hand.....

Was it just my TV, or wtf? Wasn't able to watch the game until the 3rd period, but once I did get the game on, the ice appeared so bright, that I couldn't see any of the lines or face off circles on the ice. I've noticed this before on the FSSN and FSN, but usually it's corrected right away. This went on for the whole game last night. I was starting to think that it was my TV, but I caught the highlights on ESPN this morning, and everything looked normal.

Was it just my TV, or wtf? Wasn't able to watch the game until the 3rd period, but once I did get the game on, the ice appeared so bright, that I couldn't see any of the lines or face off circles on the ice. I've noticed this before on the FSSN and FSN, but usually it's corrected right away. This went on for the whole game last night. I was starting to think that it was my TV, but I caught the highlights on ESPN this morning, and everything looked normal.

I watched the game on CBC and it didn't appear to be an issue but I have seen this on FSSN.