SiouxSports.com Forum

anyone watching this great stanley cup final

Unreal, under the new CBA, how many all star, high priced players the RWs have kept; seems that no other team has been able to do this under the salary cap. Must be some creative financing going on there. Other teams need to steal that model, whatever it is.

The wings got them signed up before they became top of the line stars. The Redwings have good scouts and player personal people.

Lou Nanne said that the Wings and the Wild have basically the same payroll numbers as far as numbers under the cap. Wow, I bet most of us Wild fans would like to have a recount eh? :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wondering about who's staying and who's going, this is from EJ Hradek's game 6 blog on ESPN:

There is also a very good article at www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/06/backtoback_red_wings_look_good.html. The Red Wings have been able to convince some of their stars to take less than what they might get on the open market because of the success of the franchise and the success that individual players have in Detroit's system. Ken Holland is one of the best, if not the best, GM in professional sports, and they have great scouts and Scotty Bowman helping. Steve Yzerman is also in the front office. Holland reminds anyone that asks that many people predicted the demise of the Wings with the salary cap. They continue to win and managed to not use the entire amount under the salary cap.

My take:

Pittsburgh should definitely re-sign the big three mentioned.

They don't need to re-sign Dupuis (seriously, he's Joe Third liner. And, he couldn't score in a $2 brothel with a $10 bill stapled to his shirt), Laraque, Ruutu, Roberts, and maybe Eaton. Most of these types of players I really think they could replace easily through their AHL/ECHL network or they could sign some oversea players (worked for the Wild ala Backstrom). I really think they should focus on Fleury, Orpik, Malone, and Hossa. I don't know if they'll get Hossa, but I'd definitely try.

Detroit is another matter. I don't think they need to focus on anyone listed other than Stuart and Filpulla. Lilja is gritty, but again, I think that if he were to go, they could get someone in house.

Maybe they can trade Hudler for a replacement. That would get some stupidity off the Red Wing ice. :) Yeah, I know he's pretty good most of the time, but MAN he took stupid penalties.

Guess what Redwing_77 enjoy the win and take a picture of your championship team. The Redwings will be very different next year than they are right now, next season. Hasek is gone, Chelios is gone and there NO WAY the Redwings can keep Franzen, Zetterberg, Holmstrom and Datsyuk together, because the Redwings will not be able to afford to keep all of these players. I will bet you a beer or six that the Redwings don't get out of the first round next season and I would predict that the Wild finish higher in the the post season than the Redwings.

Hasek is gone? Chelios is gone? Oh no! Their presence and play in the playoffs was KEY to Detroit winning the Stanley Cup. :)

No Red Wings out of the first round and the Wild finishing higher in the post-season? Dude...put down the beer bong!

Maybe if your beloved Wild would actually find a good pick-up at the deadline (Brad Stuart) as opposed to recycling garbage (Chris Simon), they might have a chance at going somewhere.

Maybe if your beloved Wild would actually find a good pick-up at the deadline (Brad Stuart) as opposed to recycling garbage (Chris Simon), they might have a chance at going somewhere.

The fact that Stuart was successful is kind of puzzling to Bruins fans, he was part of the Thornton trade and did little was then was traded to Calgary as well but has now found a home in Detroit. I think the Redwings should resign him.

The fact that Stuart was successful is kind of puzzling to Bruins fans, he was part of the Thornton trade and did little was then was traded to Calgary as well but has now found a home in Detroit. I think the Redwings should resign him.

Admittedly, you never know what you'll get with those pick-ups. Detroit picked up Todd Bertuzzi two years ago and he was HORRIBLE for them in the playoffs. He goes packing to Anaheim last season and actually was somewhat productive. I almost puked, though, when I saw him holding the Stanley Cup.

Also, for those folks who continue to talk about Detroit's first-round failures (Calgary, Edmonton, etc.). I believe in the Calgary series a few years ago, didn't Yzerman and Shanahan both break ankles diving to block shots? Hard to win with injuries. Not an excuse, but it'd be like saying the Avalanche choked against the Red Wings this year.

Goon- Yeah, I'll take that action!

The only way the Wild make the playoffs next year is if the same thing that happened this year happens next year. The Wild's division sucks with Colorado and the Wild sharing most of the talent...except Colorado's was injured most of the year.

The Wild just AREN'T THAT GOOD. They're system is flawed. They have an over abundance of role players, 3rd and 4th liners, and wingers that may have speed but their offensive abilities are overestimated. Risebrough (or however the name is spelled) doesn't have the team built to keep up with teams like the Red Wings, the Penguins, or even a more mature Blackhawks.

You saw this Stanley Cup finals. Did you see how fast the game was? Did you see how neither team needed a player like Boogaard on their team in order to keep up the flow of the game? That was an exciting series! It was feisty, sure, but it wasn't necessary to have the "Fear of the Boogey man" in them.

Second, the Red Wings' secondary scorers were extremely good. The Wild's secondary scorers (guys who aren't on the first line or expected to score like first liners) are just mundane grinders and role players. They are players that would normally be 4th liners and part time players on other teams.

LeMaire is so scared of odd man rushes that a run and gun game like that the Red Wings and Penguins employ would be terrifying to him.

And as for first liners: Dastyuk and Zetterberg make Demitra and Gaborik or Koivu and Gaborik or ANY WILD and Gaborik look like Bantams.

Heck, I'd take Zetterberg against the Wild's entire first line and I'd still come out on top!

The Wild need guys who know how to score. Who ONLY score, if need be. Yes, I'll even say whom: Players like a Malkin type (examples: Kessel, Vanek, Ovechkin, Kane) to compliment Gaborik. Demitra isn't it. Bouchard isn't it. Veillieux? He sucks. He's a toss up for Dupuis. Koivu? He might make it there someday.

Right now the two best wingers the Wild have are Koivu and Gaborik (when he's healthy). The Red Wings simply have too much weapons.

And Hasek can go for all I care. Osgood was dynamite. They also have a young goaltender by the name of Jimmy Howard (heard of him?) who would do admirably backing Ossie up.

So, yeah, you're on. :)

Good to know they are taking "good" care of the Cup...

Stanley Cup OK After Slight Dent

It's been through worse!!

http://chrkos.blogspot.com/2008/04/lord-stanleys-cup.html

--Players have used /abused the Cup in many ways. Among them: It has been used as a baptismal font. It was 'forgotten' on the side of the road by a group of players when they stopped to fix their flat tire--it was still there when they went back to get it. Has been used as a cooler at parties. Has had cereal eaten out of it. Several players have tried to see if the Cup 'will float' by throwing it in a swimming pool or lake. (I guess it doesn't.)

???

Yeah, I like that part too. ???

The Red Wings have their share of feisty players (Maltby, Franzen, Holmstrom, and even Draper at times. I'd put Hudler in the list, but I don't think he gets feisty. I think he just gets stupid) and I'm sure they've on occasion dropped the gloves (or someone else on the Wings have dropped the gloves), but that aspect entered into the Finals exactly ZERO times.

THAT is what will make the NHL a better sport. And, yes, I know that it would lose some ratings in doing so because people for some reason seem to enjoy the fights.

I can't wait for next season. The Pens, Wings, Hawks, and perhaps a few other teams will be high flying and a ton of fun to watch.

As for the Wild, they'll probably be just like they were this year. They'll make the playoffs and fall in the first round (second round tops) and Risebrough will say something like "We're a bit disappointed in how our season ended, but overall, I think we had a great season. We made the playoffs and we're very proud of our players in their effort.") Blah blah blah blah blah. :)