SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

sioux7>5

The Hobey voters are most impressed with goal scorers. Porter, Gerbe and Jones are the only 30+ goal scorers this year. Seeing these three as the Hat Trick is not at all surprising to anyone who actually follows the Hobey.

1 Kevin Porter Michigan SR F 33-29-62

2 Nathan Gerbe Boston College JR F 30-30-60

15 Ryan Jones Miami SR F 31-18-49

Only two goaltenders have ever won the Hobey: Ryan Miller (2001) and Robb Stauber (1988). Miller was sick the year he won, 1.32 GAA and 0.950 Save%. I don't recall Stauber's stats, but he played in the "dark ages" of college hockey, so they might not be as stellar as either Miller's or JP's.

Lamoureux's had a helluva year. I am proud of him, and thrilled that he's garnered some post-season awards. But a goalie wasn't going to win the Hobey this year; not with the gaudy numbers Porter and Gerbe put up.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hobey voters are most impressed with goal scorers. Porter, Gerbe and Jones are the only 30+ goal scorers this year. Seeing these three as the Hat Trick is not at all surprising to anyone who actually follows the Hobey.

1 Kevin Porter Michigan SR F 33-29-62

2 Nathan Gerbe Boston College JR F 30-30-60

15 Ryan Jones Miami SR F 31-18-49

Only two goaltenders have ever won the Hobey: Ryan Miller (2001) and Robb Stauber (1988). Miller was sick the year he won, 1.32 GAA and 0.950 Save%. I don't recall Stauber's stats, but he played in the "dark ages" of college hockey, so they might not be as stellar as either Miller's or JP's.

Lamoureux's had a helluva year. I am proud of him, and thrilled that he's garnered some post-season awards. But a goalie wasn't going to win the Hobey this year; not with the gaudy numbers Porter and Gerbe put up.

Obviously, these aren't the same voters who voted for Ryan Miller over Jeff Panzer and Brian Gionta, because those 2 forwards put up some pretty big #s that year too. And Miller's #s were a product of playing a weak CCHA schedule that year, so where is the consistency here?

Obviously, these aren't the same voters who voted for Ryan Miller over Jeff Panzer and Brian Gionta, because those 2 forwards put up some pretty big #s that year too. And Miller's #s were a product of playing a weak CCHA schedule that year, so where is the consistency here?

Anyone want to bet that Porter, Jones and Gerbe would have simular numbers to Oshie if they played in the WCHA?

I'm sure if given the choice of being named the Hobey Baker winner, or the MOP of the Frozen Four, JPL would choose the latter every time.

Goon, I think that you're right about the the Hobey Finalists having similar numbers to Oshie's if they played in the WCHA. Would love to see Oshie's numbers if he played in the CCHA.

Anyone want to bet that Porter, Jones and Gerbe would have simular numbers to Oshie if they played in the WCHA?

I don't think they'd come close to Oshie's numbers. Of course I'm biased.

Seriously, Jones with his size could probably handle the interference better than the other two, that is until someone pulled him by his hair.

I'm sure if given the choice of being named the Hobey Baker winner, or the MOP of the Frozen Four, JPL would choose the latter every time.

Goon, I think that you're right about the the Hobey Finalists having similar numbers to Oshie's if they played in the WCHA. Would love to see Oshie's numbers if he played in the CCHA.

I want to see 2 shutouts posted by JPL at the Frozen Four. That will show them all.

That doesn't count!

<for some reason>

I didn't expect Lammy or Oshie to win, but I did think JPL would have been in the final 3.

thats my main reason for being dissapointed hes not in the top 3. porter is winning it but its pretty cool to be chosen in the hobey hat trick. oh well, moving on

#8 it is

I sat right behind JPL last weekend in Madison for three of the six periods. He is, without a doubt, the most impressive goalie I've seen at this level.

If the starting goalie for all but 1 game on the team with the toughest schedule in the NCAA puts up the best numbers....well...I'd say that, right there, is reason enough to land him on the Hat Trick list.

But no, he was left off for some reason. Maybe because the selection committee just couldn't decide how to differentiate between a goal scorer and a goal tender...I don't know.

So, here it is. JPL, this is for you dude....You are the best goalie I've seen in a Sioux sweater, and I've seen a few over the years. I stand up and applaud the year you've put in between the pipes, and I look forward to watching you in your last two games as the Sioux goalie. And I look forward to standing and cheering you and your teammates as you hoist the NCAA D1 trophy above your heads.

You will be long remembered by the Fighting Sioux "family" and their fans for the seasons you've had.

My best to you and yours.

:ohmy: I spent my day with a Gopher fan and even he said JPL should be in the Hat Trick. He even admitted he was the best goalie around. Hard to believe from a die hard Gopher fan. I know it hurt him a little to say it.

I understand the whole 30+ goal criteria but how do you not include a goalie and an athlete of JPL's caliber? Bias or not JPL got robbed.

I still think Oshie is probably the best player in college but he did not score enough for the committee. I am sure he will be show that he is the best at the next level.

Let's hope he and the team use this to come out flying on Thursday and tear up BC. And then Michigan (but I am hoping for Notre Dame).

This ranks right up there with Panzer getting robbed in 2001. That was the year that I stopped caring about the Hobey Baker award. If Panzer had played for an East Coast team or a "big time" program, he would have been handed the award on a silver platter. But since he played for North Dakota, it was given to a goaltender who faced about 15 shots a game with the help of a neutral zone trapping system. To this day, everytime I see Ryan Miller's smiling mug on TV I get mad all over again.

Yes, I know Duncan won it last year and I was happy for him. But had there been another credible candidate from a "big time" school, Duncan would have gotten screwed as well. Hrkac won it in 1987 because the numbers he put up just could not be ignored (116 points in 48 games). What were they going to do, say his defense wasn't good enough and then give it to someone else? :ohmy: I don't think so.

The bottom line in this sport is winning National Championships and we have seven of those (hopefully eight after next Saturday night). And most players would give up the Hobey Baker award if it meant winning an NCAA title. This snub will only make JPL more lethal, if that is even possible.

GO SIOUX, BRING HOME #8!!!

A WCHA player has won the Hobey six years in a row, I'm not convinced that the Hobey Baker Committee is quite as pro Hockey East as you think. :ohmy:

Disappointing for JPL, but oh well.

I don't believe in conspiracies, or that for some reason UND can't win the Hobey two years in a row. Whatever the reasons are, Phil was left out of the top 3. Not sure it's deserved, but that's the way it goes. IMO, too bad the team let down a little last Saturday and allowed Princeton to get a goal. Might have helped Phil. Personally, after he won the tournament for the team last weekend I thought he made a strong case to be in the top 3.

Hopefully in 2 weeks we all forget this.

I don't believe in conspiracies, or that for some reason UND can't win the Hobey two years in a row. Whatever the reasons are, Phil was left out of the top 3. Not sure it's deserved, but that's the way it goes. IMO, too bad the team let down a little last Saturday and allowed Princeton to get a goal. Might have helped Phil. Personally, after he won the tournament for the team last weekend I thought he made a strong case to be in the top 3.

Hopefully in 2 weeks we all forget this.

im over it, nothing can be done. oh well. cant wait til next wednesday to get on that plane

Ive seen Ryan Jones play a couple of times this season. Yea he is ok, but he is not that great. I think he is just a big fatty who skates around out there. Dont think he is that impressive. But he should have a good time in Denver watching the Frozen Four. GO SIOUX #8

Ive seen Ryan Jones play a couple of times this season. Yea he is ok, but he is not that great. I think he is just a big fatty who skates around out there. Dont think he is that impressive. But he should have a good time in Denver watching the Frozen Four. GO SIOUX #8

all i know is he has REALLLLLY bad hair! :ohmy: