SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

sioux7>5

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why gerbe? he had a on ice incident didnt he?? they wrote a article on inch about it and maybe the hobey and thats why hensick got left off last year if i recall correctly. gerbe should be sitting it home if thats the case. why is it different? shouldnt be a reason. oh thats right, BC invented hockey..i forgot, sily me........ same reason tj isnt there as the incident hurt his chances big time and it took a lot just to crack that top 10 for him.

oh yeah i forgot about that. yeah then I have no idea. it just doesnt make sense. they are trying to avoid UND getting both for some reason. and 2 in a row. who knows. its just BS.

oh yeah i forgot about that. yeah then I have no idea. it just doesnt make sense. they are trying to avoid UND getting both for some reason. and 2 in a row. who knows. its just BS.

thats not it as phil wouldnt have won it. porters winning it and has been locked in to win it for months but the gerbe thing is interesting. i guess if it happens at the beginning of the year and not late in a regional then you are ok :lol: over it.........

Sorry to get off the subject a bit, but we are talking about the hobey.

i have a ryan duncan autographed puck signed when he won the award last year.

Any ideas on what it's worth?

I can get you in contact with a lady that will give you $10k for it.

:lol:

Sorry to get off the subject a bit, but we are talking about the hobey.

i have a ryan duncan autographed puck signed when he won the award last year.

Any ideas on what it's worth?

20 bucks, there was a decent amount of his stuff signed on hobey stuff and it all went from 15-25 bucks each. pucks, posters ect....

I am an obviously biased Sioux fan and also feel that Jeff Panzer deserved the Hobey Baker award in 2001, however, stats don't lie.

Let's compare:

Games played: Ryan Miller 40 JPL 41 (and counting)

Record: Ryan Miller 31-5-4 JPL 27-10-4 (and counting)

Saves: Ryan Miller 1,024 JPL 983 (and counting)

GAA: Ryan Miller 1.32 JPL 1.64

Those statistics are very similar. However, in 2001, we're screaming that Jeff Panzer got robbed. Now, in 2008, we're saying a goalie with similar stats to the goalie who won the Hobey in 2001 got robbed. We can't have it both ways.

By the way, I bolded the number of saves to refute a comment made by the previous poster.

I am not saying JPL should have won the award, I am saying it's a joke he didn't make it to Denver as a part of the Hobey Hat Trick. Not inviting JPL to Denver is nothing short of an insult after the numbers he has put up and how important he is to our success.

However many saves Miller made per game, it must have helped to have a trapping defensive system to limit odd man rushes and scoring chances. I'm sorry, but that is a legitimate factor that should be considered. I know Karl Goehring never had that luxury during his career; Dean Blais favored a more wide-open, agressive attacking style that sometimes left the goaltender in a vulnerable position. But Goehring never got much credit for putting up the numbers he did. And I think that the school he played for had something to do with it.

I don't think there is an actual conspiracy against our program, but I DO think there is a definite bias against our program. With all the great players we have had over the past quarter of a century, it is more than curious that there have been only two Hobey Baker winners (Hrkac and Duncan) from the University of North Dakota. Simply put, if Chris Drury can win the award in 1998 with his numbers that year (I think he had better numbers the year before), then Jeff Panzer should have been able to win the award in 2001 with the numbers he put up. If Ryan Miller should be considered a candidate based just on his numbers, then why wasn't Karl Goehring considered a strong candidate based just on his numbers as well? There is no consistency in how the criteria is applied. And that is what makes the Hobey Baker award so subjective and political. It is no better than the Heisman Trophy in college football. The committee has no one to blame but themselves for the conspiracy theories and the public venom they are subjected to because they bring it on themselves most of the time.

I think we should get rid of the Hobey Baker and instead have awards for best forward, best defenseman, best goaltender, etc. Name each award after a college hockey legend. Then we can stop trying to compare forwards with goaltenders and trying to determine if a defenseman should be judged on goals and assists or a strong defensive game. But like I said before, winning team championships is way more important than politically-biased individual awards like the Hobey Baker. That is what Gionta and Panzer said in 2001. And I think that is what most players think as well.

End Rant.

For those going to Denver:

On Friday at the Hobey Baker ceremony, let's not be idiots and boo Ryan Jones and/or do anything stupid. I agree in being supportive of JPL, but don't ruin a guy's day when he doesn't deserve it. It's not Ryan Jones' fault he is in the hat trick and not JP.

I can see some people being dumb, so let's be classy about it.

As the infamous "Coach" would say:

coachosh_CONV.jpg

For those going to Denver:

On Friday at the Hobey Baker ceremony, let's not be idiots and boo Ryan Jones and/or do anything stupid. I agree in being supportive of JPL, but don't ruin a guy's day when he doesn't deserve it. It's not Ryan Jones' fault he is in the hat trick and not JP.

As the infamous "Coach" would say:

coachosh_CONV.jpg

How about we don't even go

I am not saying JPL should have won the award, I am saying it's a joke he didn't make it to Denver as a part of the Hobey Hat Trick. Not inviting JPL to Denver is nothing short of an insult after the numbers he has put up and how important he is to our success.

However many saves Miller made per game, it must have helped to have a trapping defensive system to limit odd man rushes and scoring chances. I'm sorry, but that is a legitimate factor that should be considered. I know Karl Goehring never had that luxury during his career; Dean Blais favored a more wide-open, agressive attacking style that sometimes left the goaltender in a vulnerable position. But Goehring never got much credit for putting up the numbers he did. And I think that the school he played for had something to do with it.

So how do you clarify something when you're a voter by saying "yea, but MSU plays a trap-style defense so even though Miller faces over 1,000 shots, they weren't real quality shots?". Couldn't you also say that Tony Hrkac's offensive numbers were overly-inflated due to North Dakota's going-like-gangbusters-offense under Gino in the 1980's?

I basically agreed with you on the fact that I think JPL was a far better choice than Jones. I'm not sure what the criteria is exactly but I'm guessing that the committee doesn't necessarily want winners from the same team two years in a row. Then again, Peter Sejna won it in 2003 and Marty Sertich won it in 2005, so honestly, I have no clue what the selection committee thinks.

I don't think there is an actual conspiracy against our program...

The committee has no one to blame but themselves for the conspiracy theories and the public venom they are subjected to because they bring it on themselves most of the time...

Committees don't make conspiracies; fans do.

I am usually amazed at what better sportmen our players are than some of us fans tend to be. Applaud the Hobey Hat Tricksters and the winner, and if you can't work up anything more than a polite little golf clap, then at least you would have suppressed the desire to boo.

Brendan Morrison, the '97 HB winner, is still remembered for the sour grapes of his Hobey acceptance speech ("sometimes the best team doesn't win," he said, picking up the Hobey following Michigan's elimination by BU in the Frozen 4). Seems clear to me which piece of hardware he would have preferred to have hoisted.

Character builds excellence, certainly, but JPL's excellence between the pipes will get us #8.

as much as i think elliot olshansky is an east coast tool... he made one legit point in his recent hobey blog on uscho.com. he said it's porter's hobey this year, so who really cares who finished third and who finished fourth in the voting? gerbe is in because there is no way the hattrick wouldn't have an east coast player, and he is a hell of a hockey player. jones deserves to be there as much as the other two, and as much as jpl, but it was three guys vying for the last two spots, so who really gives a rats ass who the two are who get to shake porter's hand when he wins it? again, hate to give props to olshansky, but as he stated... "I'm sure Lamoureux would rather do that in the handshake line after the national championship game." i agree with that majority here, let's not boo or show poor sportsmanship. hey, the way i see it, now we've got the full day friday to do our own thing. great day for the brewery tour. GO SIOUX!!!!

I always read on this forum and hear people talk about how classless "other" fans are. I'd hope that everyone that goes to the Hobey ceremony thinks about that and gives all 3 of these young men that are in the Hat Trick the respect they deserve. It doesn't matter if you think they belong there or not, they were the 3 chosen.

Please treat them the way you would like JPL treated, if he were there.

I guess if I were going to be there I wouldn't go to the award ceremony, more out of a lack of interest. But those folks who are saying not to boo or act badly are 100% correct.

The bottom line there's no way to compare a goalie with any other position player. So why get worked up about it?

I am usually amazed at what better sportmen our players are than some of us fans tend to be. Applaud the Hobey Hat Tricksters and the winner, and if you can't work up anything more than a polite little golf clap, then at least you would have suppressed the desire to boo.

Brendan Morrison, the '97 HB winner, is still remembered for the sour grapes of his Hobey acceptance speech ("sometimes the best team doesn't win," he said, picking up the Hobey following Michigan's elimination by BU in the Frozen 4). Seems clear to me which piece of hardware he would have preferred to have hoisted.

Character builds excellence, certainly, but JPL's excellence between the pipes will get us #8.

no reason to go, just a another hour to test out a new bar :lol:

Best cheer of the '97 Frozen Four by Sioux fans after defeating BU 6-4:

BEST TEAM WON! BEST TEAM WON! BEST TEAM WON!

83:17

Miller's numbers were certainly stellar the year he won. I don't know this, but I'd be very surprised to find out that MSU played the toughest schedule in the country that year. Actually, I'd be surprised to find out their schedule was in the top ten with regard to difficulty. JPL's numbers should have been enough to guarantee him a spot in the hat trick. He isn't there and it's disappointing, but the boys still have work to do.