SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs PIONEERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at the fight again, I really wish the tv had caught the beginning. Nice to see Jones, Finley, and Genoway taking on the whole DU bench. It seemed very odd that basically the whole DU bench was still out while we only had the 3 players I mentioned before along with Kozek and another still on the ice. Its great to see the camera they have in the tunnel showing Radke turn around after he heard the crowd. Also great to see Trupp go nuts on some guys. Great night for the boys, got the sweep and Radke got his fight. Nice!

Just watched "the fight" again. What all the camera's seemed to miss was the 4 guys on top of Genoway in the middle of the Denver team, and they were pummeling him good. Radke NEEDED to come in and set someone straight.

yeah, i was wondering this too. I heard someone on the forum talking about this, but never actually saw it in the video. Anybody know what that was about?

I was wondering if anyone else saw the remarkable resemblance to a certain high school hockey game. Nice catch jk.

I forget, was that the championship game? This looked exactly like that. And if I recall correctly, wasn't the game against Brian Lee and Chris VandeVelde's Moorhead Spuds?

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw that play. Good catch.

As for the game, this has to be their best effort of the season. It was men against boys pretty much all night long. I was a little worried with five minutes left when DU started getting a little energy. It would have been a shame to have this game slip away after the tremendous effort they put into it. Lost in all the glory passed around this weekend was Kaip with a pipe each night. His move tonight might have been second only to Oshie's Friday wrap as the top play of the weekend.

Watkins couldn't buy a goal tonite. That whole line of Watkins/Kaip/VandeVelde was awesome tonite and generated many chances. They deserved a couple of goals, just didn't get them.

Nice game by the Sioux. This was a pretty good effort top to bottom with just a few mistakes here and there, and a couple of intensity drops, but overall great effort and execution throughout. DU hit a post or 2 of their own, but this could have been a 6-3 game easily.

just saw the replay of the game on fox rocky montain. gwoz didnt say it was gona be a blood bath. he simply stated if thats how the rest of the game is gona be played then so be it and he wasnt happy that any of his players didnt help out a guy or 2 in the scuffle. i like that a lot coming from a coach gwoz, a lot. he didnt go on camera after a very emotional situation and say there is no room for this in college hockey blah blah blah. he called it for what it was and moved on. very nice

From where I was and you can see some of it on the tape as well. Gwoz comes running over to where his guy is getting pummeled and pushes Brookwell from behind towards the fight and was pretty demonstrative at another DU player as well, as they were both just standing there watching their teammate getting hit with so many rights he was begging for a left. He was pi$$ed at his "team" for not backing up a teammate.

. Gwoz comes running over to where his guy is getting pummeled and pushes Brookwell from behind towards the fight and was pretty demonstrative at another DU player as well,

A. "Go get him girls."

B. "That man insulted my suit."

C. "Are you men or are you Pioneers?"

D. Other

What exactly did George say?

It was in the second OT in the Class A state title game, against Totino Grace.

Lee and VandeVelde's Spuds lost to a Centenial 1-0 that year in the 2A Title game, with a controversial goal by VandeVelde was dissallowed near the end of the game and was one of the big reasons they went to video replay in the state tournament.

From where I was and you can see some of it on the tape as well. Gwoz comes running over to where his guy is getting pummeled and pushes Brookwell from behind towards the fight and was pretty demonstrative at another DU player as well, as they were both just standing there watching their teammate getting hit with so many rights he was begging for a left. He was pi$$ed at his "team" for not backing up a teammate.

Seen the same view from my seat in Sec 106.

Wonder what the league will say to Gwoz on that? :lol:

The Sioux were great last night. Really dominated and shut down the Pioneers from the start. The D came to play last night. The only thing I got frustrated with (and the radio anouncers talked about it too) was that in the 3rd when we had the lead it seemed like Cary told the boys to hold the line and there was very little pressure in the DU end. I understand the strategy, but it was frustrating to watch Duncan et al get the puck in and then back off to the blue line and basically just try to keep Denver from braking out.

I am surprised that no one has posted some of the stuff that went on in the game. Early in the first period, after a whistle, a Sioux player was skating to the bench for a change. I believe that is was Malone and a Pioneer came up behind and game him a slash across the back of the calf that dropped him to the ice. No call.

In the third, Mannino slashed a Sioux player as he went past the side of the net to go behind the net. He did not go through the crease or close to the crease. Hunt was right there and didn't call it.

Whereas I thought Friday nights game was fairly clean, Saturday night Denver was taking some liberties with the stick and was getting away with it.

Overall I thought it was a dominating performance by the Sioux. They made Denver look like a lower level team for most of the game.

I am surprised that no one has posted some of the stuff that went on in the game. Early in the first period, after a whistle, a Sioux player was skating to the bench for a change. I believe that is was Malone and a Pioneer came up behind and game him a slash across the back of the calf that dropped him to the ice. No call.

In the third, Mannino slashed a Sioux player as he went past the side of the net to go behind the net. He did not go through the crease or close to the crease. Hunt was right there and didn't call it.

Whereas I thought Friday nights game was fairly clean, Saturday night Denver was taking some liberties with the stick and was getting away with it.

Overall I thought it was a dominating performance by the Sioux. They made Denver look like a lower level team for most of the game.

Right it was Malone, he had tripped over a DU player (who was lying on the ice.) After the whistle the guy skated up to Malone from behind and slashed him on the back of the legs. Both Hunt and a linesman saw it and refused to call it. That set the stage of what was going to happen later in the game.

Vandervelde took at least two slashes during play that was not called.

Oshie was getting a beating every play. He took a slash that I heard from a long ways away.

Marco Hunt is 100% responsible for the brawl that took place.

Meanwhile Malone's "hooking" penalty was nothing like it. He didn't touch the DU player with the stick. The DU player fell backwards and Hunt from 10 feet away called it hooking. The replay would confirm that it wasn't hooking in that the guy fell over backwards, not towards the hooker.

That "Freeman" guy from Friday night was ok, but Hunt was as worthless as they come. He was officiating for 1) a split and 2) a brawl.

It has probably already been observed through these pages here but that was about as sweet, and as challenging, of an empty net goal that one will ever see in hockey. Oshie skates down a DU carrier, puts him to the boards, and in a single motion steals the puck and, with his back to the goal, backhands the puck 130+ feet dead center empty net. A shortie to boot. Wow. No garbage goal there. After all of the pucks that he was putting on teammates' tape all weekend, TJ really worked for, and earned, that empty netter.

It has probably already been observed through these pages here but that was about as sweet, and as challenging, of an empty net goal that one will ever see in hockey. Oshie skates down a DU carrier, puts him to the boards, and in a single motion steals the puck and, with his back to the goal, backhands the puck 130+ feet dead center empty net. A shortie to boot. Wow. No garbage goal there. After all of the pucks that he was putting on teammates' tape all weekend, TJ really worked for, and earned, that empty netter.

I don't think it matches up on the sweetness scale with the last goal of Lee Goren's career in 2000. Of course that one was from the blueline so technically it was a bit easier.

And lets not forget that little girl teswuede slashing Radke behind the play which started the first fight. Can you say Kozek for National POTW.