SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs PIONEERS

AZSIOUX

Would like to comment on the goalies. Mannino is constantly being heralded as one of the top goalies in the WCHA and nation. He looked horrible this weekend. Rebounds left and right and saved by the pipes on at least 4-5 occasions this weekend. JPL though is thought by many to be a good goalie in the WCHA even with his nation leading stats. I understand that JPL wasn't great this weekend, but for once can he get the credit he deserves! DU is going into their 2nd half tank job and some of that has to do with Mannino. UND is on an amazing unbeaten streak and JPL has a lot to do with that.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to comment on the goalies. Mannino is constantly being heralded as one of the top goalies in the WCHA and nation. He looked horrible this weekend. Rebounds left and right and saved by the pipes on at least 4-5 occasions this weekend. JPL though is thought by many to be a good goalie in the WCHA even with his nation leading stats. I understand that JPL wasn't great this weekend, but for once can he get the credit he deserves! DU is going into their 2nd half tank job and some of that has to do with Mannino. UND is on an amazing unbeaten streak and JPL has a lot to do with that.

I doubt he will. UND goalies never get the credit they deserve. Parise didn't and JPL won't get it either. People will say things like JPL is a flopper and does the Statue of Liberty all the time and use these as reasons to discount him being a good goalie. He should be at least 2nd team All-WCHA this year, if not 1st Team. I'll believe that will happen when I see it though.

Then again, who cares? People can say JPL is an average goalie all they want but he's had a great year and that is all that really matters.

I agree. He gave up rebounds all weekend. You could tell he was upset about his play this weekend by taking that shot at Joe. He let his poor play get to him. While most of DU's goals were on odd man rushes, Mannino was beaten clean on deep zone shots. As I said before, I don't care if UND plays a badgering style game or if JPL has his moments of acting. You can't argue with the results.

Right it was Malone, he had tripped over a DU player (who was lying on the ice.) After the whistle the guy skated up to Malone from behind and slashed him on the back of the legs. Both Hunt and a linesman saw it and refused to call it. That set the stage of what was going to happen later in the game.

Vandervelde took at least two slashes during play that was not called.

Oshie was getting a beating every play. He took a slash that I heard from a long ways away.

Marco Hunt is 100% responsible for the brawl that took place.

Meanwhile Malone's "hooking" penalty was nothing like it. He didn't touch the DU player with the stick. The DU player fell backwards and Hunt from 10 feet away called it hooking. The replay would confirm that it wasn't hooking in that the guy fell over backwards, not towards the hooker.

That "Freeman" guy from Friday night was ok, but Hunt was as worthless as they come. He was officiating for 1) a split and 2) a brawl.

i agree that the officiating sucked sat., but hunt officiated both games. his stuff didnt come in on time fri. so he wore freeman's stuff with orange bands on his arms.

Nicely said, Phil played great last night, he just didn't get the stick down fast enough. Friday night I believe he truly gave up only one soft goal (2nd). Two other goals were situations that his defense doesn't usually put him in (3rd and 4th). Overall, great weekend for the Sioux despite 16 minutes. Phil kept us in the game at sometimes on Friday, and didn't see much Saturday but still has playing consistently all season.

My 3 stars for Friday were

kozek, duncan, oshie (hard not to put kaip in there as he made oppurtunities)

My 3 stars for Saturday

oshie, genoway, watkins (he developed a lot of chances that just seemed to fall off his stick, sometimes it happens)

3 stars for the weekend

Kozek (offensive player of the week)

Oshie (workhorse)

Eades

Lastly, has anyone else noticed the outstanding and heads up play of Martens as of late. In my mind, he is playing the best hockey of his Sioux career right now and he deserves a spot on the roster every night.

Lastly, has anyone else noticed the outstanding and heads up play of Martens as of late. In my mind, he is playing the best hockey of his Sioux career right now and he deserves a spot on the roster every night.

Martins did have a great weekend. It's nice to see him coming into his own after struggling quite a bit.

I'm gonna take credit for that cause I recently bought his Quesnel Millionaires jersey. :lol:

"Get your guys to take off the skirts!" ;)

Its just another example of a wanna-be team starting something and the Sioux finishing it. Woog said it himself during the Gophers series that we stick together and stick up for each other like a real team should.

i agree that the officiating sucked sat., but hunt officiated both games. his stuff didnt come in on time fri. so he wore freeman's stuff with orange bands on his arms.

Maybe it's just me, but since he put the name in quote marks, I think he already knew that.

Martins did have a great weekend. It's nice to see him coming into his own after struggling quite a bit.

Totally agree. On that 4th line, he is the one that can set things up. His hockey sense/IQ is very good and as he has become more comfortable, his skills are starting to surface. Was talking to my buddy, who goes to a lot of games, last night and we both agreed he and Watkins are two very overlooked players as far as what they bring to this team.

I believe that Martens has stepped up his game for several weeks now. He has been making a noticeable impact. One of several players who have begun to step up so that the Sioux are on a streak. It is fun to watch these guys come on.

I should have never told hunt that he did a good job officiating on Friday night...

Funny moment:

During the pregame after Hennessey had finished talking with Eades he said "Now we're going over to see what George is wearing tonight." :lol:

Laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.

TH is awesome. He was talking to Eades post game about the Radke fight and dropped the getting hit with so many rights he was begging for a left.

Funny Moment #2 - In the post game wrap up on 96.1, they were talking about the weekend that Kozek had. And they topped it off by saying it would be a complete weekend if he had a girl to take home tonight. After a brief silence it was: "You know, to buy her breakfast or something!" Right - we are all that gullible. :lol:

Funny Moment #2 - In the post game wrap up on 96.1, they were talking about the weekend that Kozek had. And they topped it off by saying it would be a complete weekend if he had a girl to take home tonight. After a brief silence it was: "You know, to buy her breakfast or something!" Right - we are all that gullible. ;)

Well, he does have his Mom in town :lol:

I don't know what the league would say to Gwoz but they'll have a hissy-fit on GPL regarding that kind of behavior.

Over there the Halos are back to calling UND a bunch of hacks and goons. The WCHA blogger leading the way.