SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

I share your concerns Heidi. In spite of what the scoreboard has been showing lately, and what some pundits would like us to believe, there is goal-scoring talent on this team that has been largely absent since November.

We laid 6 on St. Cloud and 5 on Mankato, but really no offensive showcase since the 8-spot against Duluth around Thanksgiving.

I think going into Mariucci and taking 3 points from the Gophers is a great showing, but I will feel a whole lot better about this team when I see some more goals. And a lot less shots allowed.

When we lost Duncan, it put us in a terrible position. Not only did we play short-handed for 5 minutes, but our lines became all messed up. We also lost a penalty killer and PP scorer. To me, that's why Oshie and Co. were gassed. They played a few more minutes. Add in the rivalry and I'm ok with the 3 points this weekend.

The goals will come, we put a lot more pucks on the net this weekend then we did vs. AA last Saturday. At least they were more agressive and tried to get the puck on net for most of the game.

I'm also ok with the shot total. 30 shots last night, 22 on Friday. That's an average of 26. 9 per period. With all the power play's both ways, we'll be ok.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only morons disrespect programs like these. I have, however ran into many an idiot. Especially at the Final 5. I think that tourney brings out the Gopher fan who isn't a hockey fan.

That's why me and mrs. stopped going. :)

We really enjoyed the F5 but now we are more the F4type fans.

Where the true college hockey faithful enjoy watching a game. :D

My thoughts on the weekend:

1. I hope the GOphers never get another power play the rest of the season....because it stinks.

2. Wheeler had a bad weekend, for who was our star player at the moment he sure took a turn for the worse with some if his decisions this weekend.

3. It's always a shame to see fights happen during the handshakes, but it would not be a Gopher-Sioux series without something odd like that happening. Wish more guys (Gophers and Sioux) would have done like Oshie and just went to the locker room.

4. Both goalies had great weekends, along with some gamesavers.

A fun series to watch as always.

I have a question though......does Ryan Duncan have some kind of lingering shoulder injury? It seems like his shoulder pads are HUGE for some reason, I know he's not the biggest guy on the ice but it's always caught my attention, thought maybe he needed to extra padding for an old injury or something. (Serious question, not trying to flame or stir any pots here.)

I have to admit, I was wishing Hak and tDon would throw down. :D

That wouldn't be much of a fight. In case you haven't seen Hak in person lately, he is totally ripped. A fight between Hak and Lucia-pet would last all of about three seconds. But I'd pay to see it... :)

Hey to be honest with everyone on this board, I'll take 3 out of 4 anytime. I found something that amaze me here we're just 2 points behind Colorado College in the conference. Now who would have though of that at this time to be honest with you.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

That wouldn't be much of a fight. In case you haven't seen Hak in person lately, he is totally ripped. A fight between Hak and Lucia-pet would last all of about three seconds. But I'd pay to see it... :)

I wonder if there would even be a fight. Hakstol has one of the scariest stares I've ever encountered. Wonder if tDon wouldn't just crap his breezers and head to the locker room? :)

I share your concerns Heidi. In spite of what the scoreboard has been showing lately, and what some pundits would like us to believe, there is goal-scoring talent on this team that has been largely absent since November.

We laid 6 on St. Cloud and 5 on Mankato, but really no offensive showcase since the 8-spot against Duluth around Thanksgiving.

I think going into Mariucci and taking 3 points from the Gophers is a great showing, but I will feel a whole lot better about this team when I see some more goals. And a lot less shots allowed.

Lamoureux has been playing really, really well. (And I am not exactly one of his biggest fans.) But I don't think we can count on him carrying this team by only allowing 1 goal per game the rest of the way out. Wins come a lot easier when you're putting up 4 or 5 goals a game instead for a weekend.

(edit: Nice avatar Homey. :D)

I am with you both, concerned that the Sioux lowered their play to Gopher level rather than make the Gophers play Sioux hockey. The lack of offensive production is a concern...I had expected a seven to nine goal weekend from the Sioux...not three. To score three goals and come out of the John with three points is truly amazing...and fortunate. Lamoureaux's ability to hold teams to 1 goal per game SHOULD have the Sioux winning handily...not tying or winning in OT. Sure, I'm glad to leave the John with three WCHA points, and always will be...however it sure seems to me that it should have been four points, and much more handily than it was.

Having Duncan may have changed things some, but tell me, where is the Sioux team that lost Oshie to Michigan State and won 6-0?

THAT is the Sioux team that needs to make a showing from here on out.

I'm somewhat with you. Tony L. immediately went after Zajac sticking up for the blindside crosscheck. Things didn't go well at first, but he got up and eventually threw the coward down. Tony Lucia can't score to save his life, but he righted a wrong.

I don't think I could possibly be more disappointed with Wheeler this weekend. Fighting with guys like Kaip and Malone, then his OT poke. Ridiculous. He needs to take Oshie's approach and just skate away. He let let the Sioux get under his skin.

All in all it was the best weekend of Gophers/Sioux at Mariucci for a long time. Eight periods of teams going all out.

Zajac was sticking up for Oshie and Lucia for Anderson. Coward? I think Wooger was calling that out...on the Gophers!! Don't just defend Lucia without seeing Zajac's side of it. From however you want to see it, Anderson was trying to take a shot at Oshie as the horn sounded and Zajac wasn't going to take it. Kudos to Lucia for being the only Goof to strap on a jock this past weekend!! But was entertaining to say the least.

To comment on our offense from other posts. What offense? And our PP is no existant over the past couple weeks. JPL can't win every game for us.

A productive weekend of hockey playing in a traditional rivalry series in a hostile barn. Sure, a sweep would be nice. Sure scoring more goals would be nice. That's hockey. Sometimes you win 2-1, sometimes you win 6-5, heck, sometimes you win 10-0. Sometimes you are on. Sometimes you are a step off. What is important is learn what it takes to win, whether it is 1-0 or 7-3. They both add up to two points in the standings. A team develops over time. Expectations for big results, week in and week out, is simply unreasonable. This is the WCHA. A nine game streak, or whatever it is, is damned impressive from a group of boys who have been listening to their coaches, working hard, learning from losses, and even ties, and melding into a championship caliber team. I am not going to worry about lack of scoring, or "playing down" to your opponent, so long as wins continue to accrue and so long as the team continues to meld. The mission is on. The goal is Denver. The drive has begun.

There is no shame at all to taking three of four from a perennial power, playing in its own barn with its back on the wall. The team that lost Oshie and still beat Michigan State 6-0 on October 13 has played 25 games since that time, has learned much about themselves along the way, is safely back home in Grand Forks this morning, and will be well ready for Denver and the rest of The Drive. I am glad that we are no longer looking at the team that beat MSU in the opener. We are looking at a much much better team than that, final scores be damned. Final scores mean little to nothing. It is the W's and L's that are of consequence.

Great series. Great fun. All five matches in the First Round will be wide open and well up for grabs. The make-up of the Final Five has rarely been more in question this late in the season.

Zajac was sticking up for Oshie and Lucia for Anderson. Coward? I think Wooger was calling that out...on the Gophers!! Don't just defend Lucia without seeing Zajac's side of it. From however you want to see it, Anderson was trying to take a shot at Oshie as the horn sounded and Zajac wasn't going to take it. Kudos to Lucia for being the only Goof to strap on a jock this past weekend!! But was entertaining to say the least.

To comment on our offense from other posts. What offense? And our PP is no existant over the past couple weeks. JPL can't win every game for us.

Anderson let up and barely touched Oshie, he has never hit anyone in his career. He might have had some bad thoughts, but he sure didn't act on them. Darcy wasn't doing anything but taking a wack. He would have kick Tony's tail as well, but he pretty much quit after he thought he had him finished. Then Lucia was able to turn it around on him.

As usual the Sioux have a nice team, the biggest question is whether they will keep their cool in the tourneys when the refs actually start making calls.

Anderson let up and barely touched Oshie, he has never hit anyone in his career. He might have had some bad thoughts, but he sure didn't act on them. Darcy wasn't doing anything but taking a wack. He would have kick Tony's tail as well, but he pretty much quit after he thought he had him finished. Then Lucia was able to turn it around on him.

As usual the Sioux have a nice team, the biggest question is whether they will keep their cool in the tourneys when the refs actually start making calls.

Hard to argue who thought what, but it appeared Anderson tried to leg check Oshie, and didn't really connect, although it may have appeared to Zajac that he did. The Zajac retaliation was immediate and came quickly after the leg check/attempted leg check. The teams could have skated away from the puck on the faceoff but it was unlikely that it was going to happen, given the surliness of both teams by the end of the game.

THe chaos on the handshake was bush league. This is the WCHA, not junior B in ALberta. Malone needs to cool his jets. You can't ever go third man in. Get the guys number and go after him next shift. That being said, I like sticking up for your teammates, you have to do that. That ruckus began because a Gopher decided to work over the smallest guy on the SIoux roster...really tough. Try that on Kaiper or FInley.

Sioux picked up 3 points in Mariucci without Duncan for tonight's game. I call that a victory.

If Hakstol flipped the bird, he has a lot of explaining to do.

I blame the chaos at the end entirely on Don Adam. The game was out of control. Emotions were running high. He should've grabbed both captains and told them that next junk was getting a game, and then followed through.

I think Malone needed to step in because you had a larger guy attacking a smaller skilled guy. You can not allow that to happen. If anything is bush league it's that the referee rewarded that bush league behavior.

Hakstol will probably be fined. I got $20 bucks to pay my share because I was doing it at home (behind my kids back). :)

Don Adam is entirely to blame for the stuff at the end. You cannot reward the Peltier's goonism (no offense) and not expect things to get out of hand.

I have to admit, I was wishing Hak and tDon would throw down. :D

Me too, and Eades would have killed the fem-glasses guy as well.

If you look at the play you will see that R.J. Anderson tryed to perform a dirty leg check on Oshie and Zajac took issue with it.

I don't have a problem with this.

I hadn't noticed that last night but you're right. Kneeing is the dirtiest play in hockey.

We saw the same game, but we'll just agree to disagree on this one. Regardless, blame Adam! :D

I haven't read the whole thread as I watched this game from a hotel room in bumbledonk Wisconsin last night, so I may repeat what many have said but here it is:

1. We should have lost this game. I have never seen two teams on the ice so downright pathetic in a very long time. At one point I wondered if I was watching UMN vs. UND or AIC vs. Wayne State. Thank you JPL. Thank you VV. Both of you saved your team's bacon.

2. Just in case anyone is wondering: You don't score if you don't shoot. Might want to think about that the next time we're on the FING POWER PLAY!

3. Got passing? Anyone? Hello? FIrst we can't pass at all, then we pass too much. I understand the need to cycle the puck and why cycling is important, but what I don't understand is why it takes almost half of your powerplay to set it up. I don't think we made the Gopher penalty kill work that hard.

4. It's either a dive or a penalty. Either whoever it was need to go for interference or JPL for diving. You can't dive on a penalty! It's simply not possible! Did JPL dive? It's more than likely possible. The replays showed he was definitely interfered with, but I'm not sure what JPL should have done. With Adam, you never know what is going to be called and what isn't.

5. Kangas is good.

6. Hakstol had legit concerns but expressed them in an improper manner. The officiating was terrible. At one point Gordon went for interference when Chorney skated headlong into him. It should have been either a noncall or Chorney for charging (pathetically really). Clutching and Grabbing was ALL OVER the place.

7. I have no individual players who showcased good or bad really other than JPL and VV making a critical goal. I do think we played alright in our defensive zone. But this game was excruciating to watch. Didn't appreciate Malone or Zajac's antics. Especially Malone's. But the post game shenanigans was Adam's fault. With no fighting in the NCAA, he's the one in charge of keeping it safe, but.. as we all know, Adam has more important things to worry about rather than player safety, right Bina?

8. Beaurline (AR) grabbing Malone by the facemask and dumping him in the penalty box. Ummm.... Non suspension necessary, because Shepherd doesn't have the balls.

Now I backed Sagard earlier in this post, but to call out DZ as a coward is just assinine. The cross check from the back was retaliatory and designed to instigate. it wasn't cowardly, as he was definitely prepared to back it up.

One thing Sagard said last night was that he respects the Sioux for going face to face. I don't disagree with your characterization of Zajac as non-cowardly but putting it into context with that it does make a difference. It was a retaliation for a cheap shot (2 in as many seconds) directed towards our best player who's playing injured.

Anderson let up and barely touched Oshie, he has never hit anyone in his career.

Oshie moved at the last moment or it could have been a bad hit, that still doesn't excuse R.J. Anderson for attempting a bush league move. I also want to know why Hak has him out there with 3.0 seconds, he should have had Malone, Radke and _________. I also would have dressed Brent Davidson this weekend.

One thing Sagard said last night was that he respects the Sioux for going face to face. I don't disagree with your characterization of Zajac as non-cowardly but putting it into context with that it does make a difference. It was a retaliation for a cheap shot (2 in as many seconds) directed towards our best player who's playing injured.

He was healthy coming into the weekend, but I guess the constant slashing and hacking can even wear down the best player on the ice!

A productive weekend of hockey playing in a traditional rivalry series in a hostile barn. Sure, a sweep would be nice. Sure scoring more goals would be nice. That's hockey. Sometimes you win 2-1, sometimes you win 6-5, heck, sometimes you win 10-0. Sometimes you are on. Sometimes you are a step off. What is important is learn what it takes to win, whether it is 1-0 or 7-3. They both add up to two points in the standings. A team develops over time. Expectations for big results, week in and week out, is simply unreasonable. This is the WCHA. A nine game streak, or whatever it is, is damned impressive from a group of boys who have been listening to their coaches, working hard, learning from losses, and even ties, and melding into a championship caliber team. I am not going to worry about lack of scoring, or "playing down" to your opponent, so long as wins continue to accrue and so long as the team continues to meld. The mission is on. The goal is Denver. The drive has begun.

There is no shame at all to taking three of four from a perennial power, playing in its own barn with its back on the wall. The team that lost Oshie and still beat Michigan State 6-0 on October 13 has played 25 games since that time, has learned much about themselves along the way, is safely back home in Grand Forks this morning, and will be well ready for Denver and the rest of The Drive. I am glad that we are no longer looking at the team that beat MSU in the opener. We are looking at a much much better team than that, final scores be damned. Final scores mean little to nothing. It is the W's and L's that are of consequence.

Great series. Great fun. All five matches in the First Round will be wide open and well up for grabs. The make-up of the Final Five has rarely been more in question this late in the season.

All excellent points, sir, and well argued. It is the "W" that counts. Like I said, I'll watch the Sioux take three points out of the John and be happy every time...there is no shame in that at all. I think it's just my personal "comfort level" that wants to see more lopsided scoring...especially against the brown and yellow.

So, let us turn our attention to DU, who will be hungry for points after this past weekend. The Drive continues!

And yes, the Final Five should be very interesting and competitive hockey this year.

He was healthy coming into the weekend, but I guess the constant slashing and hacking can even wear down the best player on the ice!

I thought I heard Tim say last weekend that TJ was finally health and then during the post game last night Tim and Hak talked cryptically about TJ being injured again. Anybody know if he got hurt again in the UAA series or the UM series?

One person who I thought needs recognition for a hard-working night Saturday is Kozek. He was fierce in his forecheck, and had some opportunities to score. He needs to finish. But he's showing me hustle I was beginning to wonder if he still possessed.