SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no wonder we lare at the top of the league in penalty minutes year after year. I long for the days of a Dean Blais-style coached team.

:D When did you start watching hockey, yesterday? Because I remember Blaise' teams being waaaay more physical that Hak's!

Oshie moved at the last moment or it could have been a bad hit, that still doesn't excuse R.J. Anderson for attempting a bush league move. I also want to know why Hak has him out there with 3.0 seconds, he should have had Malone, Radke and _________. I also would have dressed Brent Davidson this weekend.

This is what I want to know? Only 3 seconds left and a faceoff at center ice, why have Oshie out there?

When you go down in the regional I will come back to finish this. I am not giving the gophers credit, I just wouldn't be pushing the chest out after beating a team that sucks. I have trolled long enough :D congrats and good luck the rest of the way.

when we go down in the regional, ok gopherguy..........thats what i said last night, after we beat the gophes to extend the winning streak i said we have won 8 in a row now vs crappy teams. minny would give thier left nut for a 3 game winning streak vs air force, rit and wayne state but hey..... minny helped with the streak right? another bad team according to minny people :D im not pushing my chest out. you are climbing uphill here saying dumb stuff like when you lose in the regional, blah blah blah, try to make a regional then talk !@#$. your team will be lucky as hell to make it in the final 5. you usually post decent stuff now you are reaching.

When we lost Duncan, it put us in a terrible position. Not only did we play short-handed for 5 minutes, but our lines became all messed up. We also lost a penalty killer and PP scorer. To me, that's why Oshie and Co. were gassed. They played a few more minutes. Add in the rivalry and I'm ok with the 3 points this weekend.

Ryan's 5 and game DQ didn't help that's for sure. Playing 5 minutes short, with 'messed up' lines made me feel pretty good about the team, our team. The Goofs couldn't score and it was the messed up lines kept them from scoring. Last night, I felt like we had lost. In the light of day, after reviewing how the cards werestacked against us, hey, we didn't lose! :D

Oshie moved at the last moment or it could have been a bad hit, that still doesn't excuse R.J. Anderson for attempting a bush league move. I also want to know why Hak has him out there with 3.0 seconds, he should have had Malone, Radke and _________. I also would have dressed Brent Davidson this weekend.

I think Hak had that line out there because it was 3 sec. left, a face off just outside the zone, and weird things can happen with a bounce and a shot that finds it's way to the back of the net. obviously, Oshie tried to drag the puck thru Anderson and get a lane to the net. the attempt to stick a knee out was probably more reaction to the move Oshie put on than trying to injure. Zajac didn't see it that way and retaliated. I have no problem with the scrums. i was at the game and the atmosphere was intense on the ice and in the stands. the extra stuff also made up for the lack of goals but the goaltending was great for both sides all weekend. The Sioux are goons.....? I'd rather have a team that is physical and intimidating than a bunch of sally's. The guys on the other bench weren't wearing halos for their actions either even though the FSN-Gopher cheerleaders would like everyone to think that. Gopher fans also can't accuse the Sioux of being classless when they throw stuff on the ice and at the UND players after the game. Ben Gordon said it best.

"With the rivalry that we have and the history of the series, it's going to be like that," senior forward Ben Gordon said. "Tempers are going to flare up and guys are going to be having high emotions. That's just the way the series is."

Hate to say it, but I'd sure like to see the Gofers sweep Denver this weekend.

Me too. I am glad we are not playing at the Ralph this weekend. Nothing irritates me more than people cheering when the gophers/badgers are losing when a win would actually help us. Take some time to look at the standings. But hopefully DU gets swept and we can put them behind us for good.

Anderson let up and barely touched Oshie,

You had the advantage of watching the incident about 50 times and making a judgement call for your brown and yellow. Do it on the ice, in the heat of the game, your teammate is playing injured and you see someone take a stick to him! This is hockey and decisions right or wrong are made in a split second. Anderson 'let up', Zajac saw it different. Defend all you want but it's clear to everyone, including the impartial, that the Goofs were covered with their own brown $#@! The Sioux aren't innocent but their not anyone's $itch either!

There was no cheap shot on Oshie on the last draw. At worst Anderson thought about it, then let up because he knew the game was over and saw no point in it. He delivered no shot to Oshie.

If you say he had it coming for something earlier in the game, fine. Do it straight up like the Sioux usually do. That play was not your typical hard nosed Sioux hockey, that was Ferris State.

Zajac has to live with getting tossed by Lucia of all people. :D

The Sioux are going places again this year, unlike my boys. They better get it in check before the tourney.

My friend and I got back into town last night at around 3 AM. It was our first Sioux/Gopher series in Minneapolis and we had a great time! We didn't have tickets for Saturday's game but after speaking with a few of the locals we decided to stick around and try to get tickets. We walked up to the box office at Mariucci Arena at 4:30 and got two seats on CENTER ICE two rows behind the player's boxes! And for only $30 a piece! We could not believe our luck. Needless to say, the seats were amazing! :D

Friday nights game was intense. During the last ten minutes and overtime my heart was racing at a mile a minute. Trupp's game-winner was a thing of beauty! Saturday's game was highly entertaining. It was a bummer to see Duncan get ejected so early and some of the Gopher fans sitting around us were kind of bummed as well---if you can believe that. The guy sitting in front of me stated that he really loves watching Duncan play (I thought we dominated that 5 minutes). Our powerplay this whole weekend was disappointing. The fact that we play much better on the PK is baffling to me---not that having a a solid PK is a bad thing. I just wish we could have generated something on our 12 powerplays. I was not surprised by the physical play on both ends. I was actually surprised a lot of that stuff didn't happen sooner. The players were jawing at each other from the benches all night. I couldn't see what happend but durimg the second period I looked over at the Gopher bench and Don Lucia was throwing an absolute fit. He was screaming at the refs and flailing his arms in the air like a madman. There really was a lot of emotion on both sides of the benches. Some of the expressions were priceless! At the end of the game there were two guys seating near me that seriously needed to take some chill pills. One of the guys stood up, put his hand on the glass and started screaming at Hakstol. He was so angry his hands were shaking! I seriously thought he was going to crawl over the glass and attack Hakstol.

Overall it was a fantastic weekend of hockey! The majority of Gopher fans we encountered were rather civil and very complimentary of the Sioux and their fanbase. Thank you to whomever it was that suggested going to Sally's pre-game. They had great food and a great atmosphere!

It's going to be a long two weeks!

The highlight of the night for me was UND's response to the Gopher goal. Tensions were extremely high by the time MN scored; it seemed (from my couch) like the crowd really exploded, and the rouser was extra vigorous. That kind of atmosphere can sometimes empower the home team to pour on the pressure. Instead the Sioux got the forecheck going on the very next shift and kept the pressure on until the game was tied.

There was no cheap shot on Oshie on the last draw. At worst Anderson thought about it, then let up because he knew the game was over and saw no point in it. He delivered no shot to Oshie.

Because Oshie ducked it. Anderson had his knee out there to knee him and DID NOT PULL BACK.

I appreciate the rest of your comment.

Lucia did slam Zajac, but only after Darcy had already had him down and was working on getting the helmet off. If you watch the immediate follow up to that, Zajac gets out from under Tony and proceeds to try and rack him up against the glass. Fortunately for tDon's daughter, the official was able to stop it at that point.

A little shot in the back on a cross check happens in games like this...it isn't a chess match or the marching band, it is WCHA hockey.

leg stuck out on the Osh, cross check to the back by Zajac, Lucia and Flynn go after Zajac, TJ makes it even by grabbing Flynn. Struggle ensues. Zajac has Lucia down and is working on his helmet. Lucia trurns it around and takes down Zajac wrestling style. Zajac tries to rack Luica against the glass with arm cocked. Meanwhile TJ heads for the locker room.

The fight showed more life from the Gophs than we've seen all year.

I still can't get over the amount of clutch and grab the Gophers do this year. It is as bad as playing Mankato or Alaska. Every single time that Oshie had the puck he was mugged.

Positive is we had no puck luck and got 3 points. A lot of pucks that wouldn't stay flat and bad hops/bounces. We played without Duncs. We still got 3 points. Almost every decent Gopher chance came off a fighting Sioux mistake or bad hop.

Repeating: Adam lost control of the game on the Trupp check from behind, where tough Gopher took it to Trupp while Trupp was in no position to defend himself. Malone went in, because the ref was too late. Should've been 5 and a game for the check from behind, and double minor for roughing on the Gophs. Malone got what he deserved.

Blake Wheeler is going to have to learn to watch his mouth, especially if he ever gets a shot at the NHL. When the Capitals play the Coyotes, Wheeler is going to have to face Joe without a face mask, and with officials who won't step in.

for the first time in my life I can say I will be pulling for the gophs this weekend against denver to get at least a split. plus I really hope we don't face them in the first round unless we can figure out way to solve kangas.

wont be pulling for them one damn bit, thats just crazy but if they split or get a couple of ties then thats fine :D:)