SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

jk, I agree. I was thinking the same thing last night. I was really worried that MN was going to have the mo to get the 2nd, killer, goal. But the Sioux seemed to come back with a vengeance, especially Genoway. He did NOT want to lose. When I saw the intensity I had a small feeling that the Sioux would score. It would have hurt bad if they hadn't, or if the gophs would have gotten the 2nd goal, but it was an expected relief to get the 2nd one.

Both teams deserve a lot of credit for how they rose to the occasion last night.

As for Kangas, I'm not too excited about playing him. He's not a lucky goalie. Lucky goalies are flopping around making miracle saves. Kangas is like a robot out there, almost never out of position. I fear that he won't be an up and down type of goalie. He'll always be there.

I also fear that the Sioux helped galvanize the gophers in the middle of a very tough season. With Kangas in nets (yes, I like him that much) I think they have a chance to beat anyone, and I don't believe the gophers will never score more than 1 goal a game this season. I believe the gophers will be in the Final Five, and with a goalie like Kangas they could win it and make the NCAA.

My worst concern is that they come to the Ralph for the first round. If Kangas can win the first game they could play Frazee the 2nd and come back with a fresh Kangas in the 3rd game while Phil has to play 3 in a row. That's not a favorable scenario in a building where the Sioux struggled to play the gophs in December, and recently struggled against Alaska. I can be guilty of looking on the non-bright side of life, but that's a scenario I can readily see.

the season is on the home stretch and i think if the gophers were going to do anything they would have 2-3 months ago. they cant score. doesnt matter if you do hold a team to a goal and 2 goals. if you cant score you cant win. they have been taking 1 point per weekend, thats brutal. they arent going anywhere this season. they simply cant score. in order for the gophers to get into the final 5 i think they will have to win a tough road wcha playoff series whioch they can do if they can score more than 2 goals per game. on top of that they will have to win the final to get a auto bid as they arent just gona flip a switch to score as they have proven all season they cant do that vs decent teams

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I've already said it but I'll repeat it:

We gave UND "haters" ammo this weekend big time. Finley's antics will be lucky to get him suspended for only one game (if the WCHA looks into it, which I'm sure they will).

I hate that. Western College Hockey Blog just wrote an embarrassing story on UND this past weekend and I can't even imagine what the comment section says. Problem is, what deniability do we have? What RJ Anderson may have tried to do? Does it change what Finley did in the handshake line? Or that Zajac checked Anderson from behind? Does it change how Malone jumped in 2 on 1 against Peltier?

Sure, I like feisty play, but this was just bad. The headliner was Hak losing his cool, which is something I've NEVER seen before. Sure, we speculate, but never has it been documented. Yes, it was against Adam, an official who shouldn't be employed by the WCHA right now, but still....

the season is on the home stretch and i think if the gophers were going to do anything they would have 2-3 months ago. they cant score. doesnt matter if you do hold a team to a goal and 2 goals. if you cant score you cant win. they have been taking 1 point per weekend, thats brutal. they arent going anywhere this season. they simply cant score. in order for the gophers to get into the final 5 i think they will have to win a tough road wcha playoff series whioch they can do if they can score more than 2 goals per game. on top of that they will have to win the final to get a auto bid as they arent just gona flip a switch to score as they have proven all season they cant do that vs decent teams

It's not totally out of the question, Gophers seem to play better on the road. I actually hope we have the Sioux luck they have had the last few years, start off a bit slow and then catch fire towards the end........the spark needs to catch VERY soon though! :angry: I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the goals start happening, and if Kangas keeps playing like he is they could make an impressive run. (Keep in mind that I am posting with my maroon glasses on.)

We gave UND "haters" ammo this weekend big time. Finley's antics will be lucky to get him suspended for only one game (if the WCHA looks into it, which I'm sure they will).

I hate that. Western College Hockey Blog just wrote an embarrassing story on UND this past weekend and I can't even imagine what the comment section says. Problem is, what deniability do we have? What RJ Anderson may have tried to do? Does it change what Finley did in the handshake line? Or that Zajac checked Anderson from behind? Does it change how Malone jumped in 2 on 1 against Peltier?

REDWING77 who cares if Chris writes an article about UND, one could make the argument that MSU-M is a bunch of classless hack and goons as well, its a blog, its his opinion he has that right, big hairy deal? Are you familiar with the first ammendment. So what! Are you going to lose sleep over it. I sure as hell will sleep tonight.

For the 100th time good for Zajac, what if Oshie didn't move and blew his knee out on the leg check? Season over for UND. That was a bush league move thank God Oshie saw it at the last moment. That is how Adam Calder got hurt his freshman season on a bush league leg check. People should be applauding Zajac for his actions. How do you know that Wheeler didn't start that move.

Sure, I like feisty play, but this was just bad. The headliner was Hak losing his cool, which is something I've NEVER seen before. Sure, we speculate, but never has it been documented. Yes, it was against Adam, an official who shouldn't be employed by the WCHA right now, but still....

This was the perfect storm for Sioux haters, for sure. And the Sioux have some responsibility for it.

It was compounded by it being televised by FSN. FSN seemed to have cameras on Hak, so they were looking for some good stuff. Someone posted that they thought FSN had an agenda and I thought it interesting that they had so much footage of Hak on camera Saturday. I can only imagine they have plenty of opportunity for that kind of stuff from coaches all the time but you never see it.

This was the perfect storm for Sioux haters, for sure. And the Sioux have some responsibility for it.

It was compounded by it being televised by FSN. FSN seemed to have cameras on Hak, so they were looking for some good stuff. Someone posted that they thought FSN had an agenda and I thought it interesting that they had so much footage of Hak on camera Saturday. I can only imagine they have plenty of opportunity for that kind of stuff from coaches all the time but you never see it.

This is another example of the FSN people piling on UND.

I also fear that the Sioux helped galvanize the gophers in the middle of a very tough season. With Kangas in nets (yes, I like him that much) I think they have a chance to beat anyone, and I don't believe the gophers will never score more than 1 goal a game this season. I believe the gophers will be in the Final Five, and with a goalie like Kangas they could win it and make the NCAA.

My worst concern is that they come to the Ralph for the first round.

The good news for the Sioux fans that don't want to see the Gophers in the 1st round is that you can't have BOTH of the situations happen that you have listed above.

The Sioux will more than likely finish 2nd or 3rd in the WCHA (with an outside shot at 1st if CC struggles). If the Gophers start to score some goals and get some wins, they're not going to finish in 8th or 9th place in the WCHA. Now, if they continue to struggle, then that is a definite possibility of them coming to GF in the 1st round.

It looks like UAA has the cellar wrapped up, it will just be settling the mess that is 4th-9th in the standings right now. UW, UMD, MSUM, UMN, MTU, and SCSU all battling for those spots. I think that UW, UMN, and SCSU are the most talented of those 6...and the ones that I would least want to see visit the Ralph for the 1st round. I don't know how SCSU is in 9th place right now with the group of talented forwards that they have...

REDWING77 who cares if Chris writes an article about UND, one could make the argument that MSU-M is a bunch of classless hack and goons as well

Agreed.

While I agree with redwing77 that the "UND haters" certainly got some new ammo this weekend, I try not to let what others say bother me too much. Every team has stuff in their past that they would rather not hear about...and the fans that believe otherwise are just fooling themselves.

I also agree with Goon that Chris is just kidding himself when he writes anything about UND and them being "goons". Chris supports MSUM, which are like a less talented version of the Sioux when it comes to the physical, intimidating style of hockey. The Sioux can switch between the physical play and the speed game when needed depending on opponent, where MSUM doesn't have that luxury without the talent. :angry:

The only thing that is bad for the team was Hakstol's non verbal communication with the official.

As far as I'm concerned the Gophers were running at the mouth and unwilling to back it up on the ice. (We know that about Bickel for sure). Joe was ready to settle it then.

I'd rather be on our side than the Gophers.

Secondly Malone didn't throw any punches. If you've got a guy who's what 150 pounds being attacked by one of their larger guys you step in to break it up. The worthless linesman wasn't ready to stop Peltier but could facemask Malone.

I also doubt that they'll suspend Joe for a number of reasons. 1) Pretty much sends the message to start swinging in that situation does it not? 2) There must be a precedent. 3)If they're going to drop their "decision on the ice stands" we're going to wonder why Denver got awarded two bogus wins and really wonder why Peltier doens't get a retroactive fighting major.

Agree with Malone doing what he had to do to protect a teammate who not only is the lightest guy on the team, but also was NEVER in a position to defend himself.

How is Lucia going after Zajac any different? It is worse. Darcy did not pile on Anderson and start feeding him after knocking him down from behind.

Someone made a comment about Darcy being like McCracken keeping his stick...I would guess in the BC league you need to keep that stick until you know your opponent isn't planning on using his. In a straight up fist fight, I'll take a veteran of the Canadian junior ranks over a kid from Wayzata any day.

The refusal to back it up sans helmet and golves is a Gopher trademark. While I am disappointed in Big Joe for pulling a guy out of the handshake line, it is pretty clear that Joe was hoping for them to drop the gloves. I almost think they should've let Joe and Wheeler go at it. Get it done and over. Joe's problem is with Wheeler. It has to be settled. Only way to settle it is without helmets and gloves on the ice.

Bickel, well, Stu had his opportunities to challenge someone to go without the gloves. I haven't seen him do so. Instead he talks sh*t from behind his coach.

As to not winning by a wide margin, thereby indicating the parity of these two teams, there was no Duncan. Sioux survived tremendous adversity in the game. We had a short bench the entire game, and a ridiculously short bench with Malone in the box for 10. The result is tired legs and no line cohesion. Especially on the top powerplay unit.

These teams hate each other. They have to fight in order to move on.

From a very close source it was Blake Wheeler who made a verbal statement to Joe Finley after they shook hands. It was a chicken sh** pot shot by Wheeler after getting thrown around like a rag doll by Big Joe in Grand Forks at the Ralph back in December. It was vintage Edina vs. Breck (oh yea, Wheeler was recruited by Breck after playing his entire youth career at Wayzata). I can tell you Wheeler would be mopped off the ice if Big Joe had a legitimate shot going toe-to-toe with him. Mazacco and Woog are such homeboys calling Finley out. Minnesota is a gut-less organization that gets the blessing of the WCHA brass every single season to host the Final Five and piss poor tournaments in the early season. This season is showing that if they had a first class, respected organization their "cake eating recruits" would stay beyond their freshman seasons (Kessel, Johnson, Okposo 1.5). North Dakota breeds success by welcoming their recruits into "the Fighting Sioux Family" for life and taking care and genuinely keeping track of every player that dons that jersey. Ask guys like Ginny Christian, John Noah how special it is to be a Fighting Sioux. The program honors and recognizes these Fighting Sioux Hockey alumni every chance they get. Ask guys like Oshie, Duncan, Finley and Chorney why they stayed at UND this season. They will tell you the brotherhood and honor of being a Fighting Sioux.

You reap the seeds you sow. Minnesota prides themself in marketing "Pride On Ice". They need to get some class and wishing they had what UND Fighting Sioux players have .. loyalty, respect, dignity and toughness.

From a very close source it was Blake Wheeler who made a verbal statement to Joe Finley after they shook hands. It was a chicken sh** pot shot by Wheeler after getting thrown around like a rag doll by Big Joe in Grand Forks at the Ralph back in December. It was vintage Edina vs. Breck (oh yea, Wheeler was recruited by Breck after playing his entire youth career at Wayzata). I can tell you Wheeler would be mopped off the ice if Big Joe had a legitimate shot going toe-to-toe with him. Mazacco and Woog are such homeboys calling Finley out. Minnesota is a gut-less organization that gets the blessing of the WCHA brass every single season to host the Final Five and piss poor tournaments in the early season. This season is showing that if they had a first class, respected organization their "cake eating recruits" would stay beyond their freshman seasons (Kessel, Johnson, Okposo 1.5). North Dakota breeds success by welcoming their recruits into "the Fighting Sioux Family" for life and taking care and genuinely keeping track of every player that dons that jersey. Ask guys like Ginny Christian, John Noah how special it is to be a Fighting Sioux. The program honors and recognizes these Fighting Sioux Hockey alumni every chance they get. Ask guys like Oshie, Duncan, Finley and Chorney why they stayed at UND this season. They will tell you the brotherhood and honor of being a Fighting Sioux.

You reap the seeds you sow. Minnesota prides themself in marketing "Pride On Ice". They need to get some class and wishing they had what UND Fighting Sioux players have .. loyalty, respect, dgnity and toughness.

well said as always

Dear lord, it's is threads like the last one and comments like "i'd rather be on the Sioux side of this" that make we want to vomit.

There were more cheap shots by the SIoux than the Gophers. That said, I have no problem calling the Gophers out for their actions. We weren't saints by any means.

I would love to sit down with you guys and go through the game film and break down each of the hits/cheap shots.

The one play that bothered me the most in the entire game was at the end when Kaip hooked Gordon to the ice, then another Sioux player came over, stood over him and then leaned down on him. Not sure who it was, but it was well after the whistle and he wasn't even involved in the play. Is this is the guy that Wheeler took out, then I have to say, he sort of asked for it.

Also, the cross check on Anderson form behind at the end of overtime was totally cheap, but I've heard that we may have hit your players head just moments before at the face off, so i have to wait until I see the play again before saying anything for certain.

The one play that bothered me the most in the entire game was at the end when Kaip hooked Gordon to the ice, then another Sioux player came over, stood over him and then leaned down on him. Not sure who it was, but it was well after the whistle and he wasn't even involved in the play. Is this is the guy that Wheeler took out, then I have to say, he sort of asked for it.

Also, the cross check on Anderson form behind at the end of overtime was totally cheap, but I've heard that we may have hit your players head just moments before at the face off, so i have to wait until I see the play again before saying anything for certain.

I believe the Sioux players felt that Gordon had embellished it. As far as I'm concerned you don't complain about that when you had your stick up around his chest. Nice work by Wheeler to negate the power play. :angry:

Not only did #16 (Carmen?) try to cross check Oshie, Anderson tried to knee him and Oshie ducked. Dirtiest play in hockey.

The game was going to get out of hand when Adam rewarded the Gophers for having one of their larger guys attack our smallest guy with no provocation. Now the players are responsible for their own actions but in my opinion when the officials don't protect your players the team has to, any way they have to.

Dear lord, it's is threads like the last one and comments like "i'd rather be on the Sioux side of this" that make we want to vomit.

There were more cheap shots by the SIoux than the Gophers. That said, I have no problem calling the Gophers out for their actions. We weren't saints by any means.

I would love to sit down with you guys and go through the game film and break down each of the hits/cheap shots.

That bothered me too. Tha fact that Adam called that with 2:03 left in OT is insane. After all the crap, by both teams, during the game Adam finally finds his stones and calls that?? Was it a penalty--yes, but again it goes back to trying to give the Gophs once last chance to salvage their season when all the other slashing, interference, grabbing was not called all night long. Thanks goodness for Wheeler!!

When you slow down the replay you will see #16 Carmen cross-check Oshie (who didn't bring his stick up at all) in the jaw. Flynn #22 sneaks in with a butt end to Oshie's ear, Lucia #12 does a Prpch on Oshie, then RJ comes in with a viscious knee-to-knee hit. Lastly DeMarchi comes flying in from the crowd and delivers a heinous cross-checking from behind on Oshie. :angry:

When you slow down the replay you will see #16 Carmen cross-check Oshie (who didn't bring his stick up at all) in the jaw. Flynn #22 sneaks in with a butt end to Oshie's ear, Lucia #12 does a Prpch on Oshie, then RJ comes in with a viscious knee-to-knee hit. Lastly DeMarchi comes flying in from the crowd and delivers a heinous cross-checking from behind on Oshie. :angry:

Wow, you must have high def!

Come on pstar take the maroon colored glasses of for just a little while. Bikel should have been called for two elbows in the third against Trupp and Malone and Genoway should have been called for yapping at Gordan.(probably justing asking how his parents are) Zajac blasting Anderson from behind after he stuck his leg out was maybe out of line but if you do that in the NHL you will pay for it one way or the other, both sides were going at it very hard and in a tie game with lots on intensity s#$% happens. One difference from most teams is the Sioux wont take for very long before they settle it. As fot the big wuss Wheeler he was trying to be the third guy in when they played at the Ralph and Big Joe pulled him out of there like a big rag doll and Wheeler turtled then. I suppose he thought he was safe in the hand shke line to do or say whatever he wanted to, why didn't he say something during the game? Where was the tough guy Bickel during the game? He waited until everthing was over then yelled from behind Lucia when he knew nothing would happen.

Genoway had one goal when he went to yap at Gordan. It was to draw a penalty. It was the gopher couldn't handle a little talk.

Genoway is adding more to this Sioux team every week. Genoway can play defence, pass, shoot, score, play forward, and talk a good game. I bet the gophers wish they had him. Wooger was in love with Genoway all weekend.

Genoway was FIRED up this weekend! anyone see when he took it coast to coast and tried to score? he was a man on a mission and wasnt going to let anyone get in his way this weekend!

on a lighter side...does mike prpich have any brothers?

That is what I want to see on Gophers weekend, Chay is an awesome player...

Genoway had one goal when he went to yap at Gordan. It was to draw a penalty. It was the gopher couldn't handle a little talk.

Genoway is adding more to this Sioux team every week. Genoway can play defence, pass, shoot, score, play forward, and talk a good game. I bet the gophers wish they had him. Wooger was in love with Genoway all weekend.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED...

Kaip deserved to be called for that hook, no doubt. I think Kaip and the Sioux coaches were upset with the call, not because it wasn't a hook, but because so much stuff had been let go to call this one now. Still, it was so blatant that it had to be called. I also think Adam was looking for a chance to even it up and Wheeler gave him that chance. Genoway knew Adam wouldn't throw 2 guys, so he tried to incite a response and he got it, just not from the guy he expected to get it from. Some people say Genoway should have gotten a penalty. Maybe. But how different is that from 2 guys standing toe and toe and jawing at each other on the boards?

When you slow down the replay you will see #16 Carmen cross-check Oshie (who didn't bring his stick up at all) in the jaw. Flynn #22 sneaks in with a butt end to Oshie's ear, Lucia #12 does a Prpch on Oshie, then RJ comes in with a viscious knee-to-knee hit. Lastly DeMarchi comes flying in from the crowd and delivers a heinous cross-checking from behind on Oshie. ;)

I thought I recognized that guy but without the number couldn't place him. :angry: