SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that good teams find ways to get points. MN is in terrible shape on the national picture. I also think that we are a better team than we represent against them. I don't know why or what or how, but they always play us tough.

Did get a little annoyed tonight at the John when some idiotic Gopher fan says to me in the bathroom something about the cost of having such an elite program that players only play one or two years. I looked at him and said, "I know what you mean."

He goes, "Well, you didn't lose Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel and Kyle Okposo."

Too which I replied, "No, unlike Okposo, our losses are skating regular shifts in the NHL."

He says,"like who?"

And I say, "Oh, I don't know, Jonathan Toews, Travis Zajac, Zach Parise, Matt Jones, Matt Greene, Drew Stafford."

Next point: Is everyone forgetting that we played 64:53 without last year's Hobey Baker winner?:D Agreed it was anyone's game tonight. You'd be crazy to think it wouldn't have been different with Duncs out there.

is erik johnson playing in the NHL or AHL? you could throw in Brian Lee and Brady Murray

I have met great Gopher fans too. The kind who shake hands and say, "This one must be your year" after a loss. Only morons disrespect programs like these. I have, however ran into many an idiot. Especially at the Final 5. I think that tourney brings out the Gopher fan who isn't a hockey fan. I think Sioux hockey fans are mostly the kind who understand the game, could tell you how the PWR works and what RPI is (both the team and the stat). I think the Final Five is more of a social event for Twin Cities people who really don't know the game. I have to caveat that i do know plenty of good gopher fans who are also good hockey fans and understand this stuff. I think in a metro of 3 million people, the odds just favor meeting the rubes.

Hey 9 game unbeaten streak intact!!

I have met great Gopher fans too. The kind who shake hands and say, "This one must be your year" after a loss. Only morons disrespect programs like these. I have, however ran into many an idiot. Especially at the Final 5. I think that tourney brings out the Gopher fan who isn't a hockey fan. I think Sioux hockey fans are mostly the kind who understand the game, could tell you how the PWR works and what RPI is (both the team and the stat). I think the Final Five is more of a social event for Twin Cities people who really don't know the game. I have to caveat that i do know plenty of good gopher fans who are also good hockey fans and understand this stuff. I think in a metro of 3 million people, the odds just favor meeting the rubes.

Hey 9 game unbeaten streak intact!!

it goes both ways! there are a lot of Sioux fans that should get slapped across the face too! like i said before i dont mind the ribbing and stuff between fans, i will sit and talk to a gopher fan or any other hockey fan as long as each of us has a valid argument!

EJ is in the NHL. I could add Bochenski too.

Which Gophers are currently skating regular NHL shifts?

Vanek, Ballard, Johnson, Leopold, Martin and Kessel jump to mind.

Bottom line, both programs are elite. To speak otherwise is silly.

Johnny Pohl is a fourth line center in Toronto :D

WCHA

Minnesota-Duluth 2 at Wisconsin 1 ot

Michigan Tech 2 at Alaska-Anchorage 2 ot

North Dakota 1 at Minnesota 1 ot

Denver 2 at Minnesota State 3

Check this out the most goals scored tonight were 3.

That is why I am not worried about tonights game with the Goofs.

The mean number of goals scored is like 1.4 That is horrible.

I have been reading some other boards, and everyone seems to be buying the load of crap that Masucko, Woog, and Dubay are selling that everything that happened was all The Sioux's fault.... Wah Wah.... look at the tape and make up your own mind. But if you do, you will have to agree that there is no way in Hell to call that a fight.... Any suspensions will only help Denver over the next two weeks....Hhmm...And as far as the Finley/Wheeler scrum.... only they could tell you what really started it...

But the biggest loser out of this night is probably Wayne Gretzky and the Phoenix Coyotes. They draft Wheeler with their first pick when they probably could have got him in the second round or lower.....and they watch him piss down his leg for a couple of years under achieving. Then they see tonight...when a man of his size acts like a raisin hunter instead of a first round NHL pick... He could have dropped the gloves like a man with Finley(remember the Commodore million dollar fight?) , but instead had to be dragged out of the handshake line kicking and screaming....what a !@#$%!. Now they know for sure he is a flounder. And to top it off... Wheeler takes a stupid penalty in overtime that negates a great chance for the rodents to steal a win....tool. Glad he plays for them.

And what alot of the rodentia fans are forgetting is....they had seven straight minutes in the first period to set the tone and put a few goals in after UND lost Duncs for the game...They have no one to blame but themselves for their futility...idiots!

I just can't wait to be at a rodent free Xcel Energy Center in March.... Maybe Ecolab will want to sign on as the corporate sponsor...

And as far as Hak's finger...BFD!!! Get over it... Sh*t happens in heated rivalry games....

It would really suck to be a rodent fan.....glad I don't have that problem....

GO SIOUX!!

#8 IN 08

Also just for the record go back and watch the tape R.J. Anderson tried to perform a leg check on Oshie and Zajac to issue with it.

I have watched the tape few time and that is what started this. key word is attempted. Oshie was able to side step it.

It's always the Sioux's fault because it is proper hockey etiquette in Minneapolis to cheap shot and sh** talk, and avoid the consequences. If I would have been Hak, I would have thrown a chair across the ice shades of bobby knight. I have to go now, thinking about the goofers makes me sick. Wheeler is a beyatch.

Whatever happened to Hockey???

Was at the game, just read through the full thread. Take it easy in Sagaard. He has always been a decent poster despite his rodent roots!

I've sen it a million times, but it still kills me. MN has this way of instigating and then looking innocent. This is why fighting should be allowed in the game and why guys shouldn't wear full masks. If you're going to act and talk like a punk, then be prepared to settle it like a man. Now fighting is stupid, but if you're going to talk the talk, then you'd better walk the walk. Minny is the princess of the world, and they love to take a shot, do a facewash, and then run for help from the official. Stand and deliver. If you want t ogo, take off the helmet and gloves and do it like a man.

Seems like most forget that Pelletier started all of the extracurriculars last night when he went after the smallest Sioux player on the ice and threw punches, but I am sure a certain AR was looking the other way. After that it was a typical classless game by the Gophers, with lots of squeaks and whistles and then run down your little hole at the first sign that things are getting serious. Whoever picked their name knew what they were doing.

If you had told me the Sioux were going to hold the Gophers to only two goals in their home series I would have been pleased. If you also told me the Sioux would only get three points I probably wouldn't have believed you.

Seems like most forget that Pelletier started all of the extracurriculars last night when he went after the smallest Sioux player on the ice and threw punches, but I am sure a certain AR was looking the other way. After that it was a typical classless game by the Gophers, with lots of squeaks and whistles and then run down your little hole at the first sign that things are getting serious. Whoever picked their name knew what they were doing.

If you had told me the Sioux were going to hold the Gophers to only two goals in their home series I would have been pleased. If you also told me the Sioux would only get three points I probably wouldn't have believed you.

What an embarassment our program has become. It's no wonder that opposing fans classify us as they do. Unfortunately, the dirty and chippy play that our team exudes starts from the top. It's no wonder we lare at the top of the league in penalty minutes year after year. I long for the days of a Dean Blais-style coached team.

What's also embarassing is some of the rogue posters on this forum that justify our team's behavior.

What an embarassment our program has become. It's no wonder that opposing fans classify us as they do. Unfortunately, the dirty and chippy play that our team exudes starts from the top. It's no wonder we lare at the top of the league in penalty minutes year after year. I long for the days of a Dean Blais-style coached team.

What's also embarassing is some of the rogue posters on this forum that justify our team's behavior.

Hey Dean, if this is the way you feel about our team? Not your team you might as well crawl into YOUR hole. You are not a true Sioux fan. We don't fight unless there is a good reason for it. It is hockey, grow up.

You baby gophers make me sick.

There is a reason way the Gophs are struggling and the Sioux are on a 9 game points streak. It is called team . You can say what you want, these two teams hate each other but it was the guys from up north that stood by each other, fought for each other and gave for each other. Not to mention that tDon is wasting talent by not each that team is greater than an individual. Wheeler is the perfect example of a "me" player. Pop the jersey at every opportunity to show how great "I" am, but when push comes to shove...head for the closest hole.

Not saying the Sioux are faultless in the antics of last night, but as the Wogger said in post game "you got to show some degree of courage, some degree of stand-up-ness" :D . There in lies the difference between these two teams. Both are skilled but one team will go to battle for each other while one team wait for the coach to get on the ice before spouting off and looking tough.

But the sad part is most of this could have been avoided if the WCHA had officials that had any courage themselves to call a game the right way so things don't getting out of hand like last night. Adam lost control with the Peltier/Trupp incident.

Not saying the Sioux are faultless in the antics of last night, but as the Wogger said in post game "you got to show some degree of courage, some degree of stand-up-ness" :D . There in lies the difference between these two teams. Both are skilled but one team will go to battle for each other while one team wait for the coach to get on the ice before spouting off and looking tough.

But the sad part is most of this could have been avoided if the WCHA had officials that had any courage themselves to call a game the right way so things don't getting out of hand like last night. Adam lost control with the Peltier/Trupp incident.

I'm somewhat with you. Tony L. immediately went after Zajac sticking up for the blindside crosscheck. Things didn't go well at first, but he got up and eventually threw the coward down. Tony Lucia can't score to save his life, but he righted a wrong.

I don't think I could possibly be more disappointed with Wheeler this weekend. Fighting with guys like Kaip and Malone, then his OT poke. Ridiculous. He needs to take Oshie's approach and just skate away. He let let the Sioux get under his skin.

All in all it was the best weekend of Gophers/Sioux at Mariucci for a long time. Eight periods of teams going all out.

I'm somewhat with you. Tony L. immediately went after Zajac sticking up for the blindside crosscheck. Things didn't go well at first, but he got up and eventually threw the coward down. Tony Lucia can't score to save his life, but he righted a wrong.

I don't think I could possibly be more disappointed with Wheeler this weekend. Fighting with guys like Kaip and Malone, then his OT poke. Ridiculous. He needs to take Oshie's approach and just skate away. He let let the Sioux get under his skin.

All in all it was the best weekend of Gophers/Sioux at Mariucci for a long time. Eight periods of teams going all out.

last nights game was the best ive seen since the regional final last year. FSN could not be more biased. i hope that minny fans realize that. every event that is 2 sided and they constantly get on the sioux players for playing "old time hockey" it would be nice if they could acknowledge the fact that its usually not one sided.

...I am concerned that we were not able to chase these guys from the building this weekend...this is two weekends in a row that we didn't play anywhere near to what we are capable of and this is going to really hurt us in the long run.

I share your concerns Heidi. In spite of what the scoreboard has been showing lately, and what some pundits would like us to believe, there is goal-scoring talent on this team that has been largely absent since November.

We laid 6 on St. Cloud and 5 on Mankato, but really no offensive showcase since the 8-spot against Duluth around Thanksgiving.

I think going into Mariucci and taking 3 points from the Gophers is a great showing, but I will feel a whole lot better about this team when I see some more goals. And a lot less shots allowed.

Lamoureux has been playing really, really well. (And I am not exactly one of his biggest fans.) But I don't think we can count on him carrying this team by only allowing 1 goal per game the rest of the way out. Wins come a lot easier when you're putting up 4 or 5 goals a game instead for a weekend.

(edit: Nice avatar Homey. :D)