SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/tyson-jost-excited-to-join-colorado-avalanche/c-288261146

Maybe I'm being too presumptuous but reading this article, I really believe Tyson will regret leaving UND so early. It feels like a hastily made decision with good intentions but I can't help but remember former NHLers saying 'Man I wish I would've stayed another year'. Tyson barely got to even take it all in. An excerpt:

"A lot went through my head, but then when that contract was in front of me, I thought, 'Yeah, this is my dream, and this is what I've wanted all my life. I've worked for almost 18 years to get to this point.' So I thought I'd sign," Jost admitted. "It was a wave of emotions. Obviously, it was a dream come true to sign my contract and be with this organization. It happened in a pretty quick span of time there. Things went pretty quick. I didn't really get to enjoy it just because it was kind of a rough process but to say the least, I'm really excited to be a part of this organization."

There's no doubt in my mind Jost will have an incredibly successful career at the pro level and I'm very happy he came to UND but 3...5...maybe 10 years down the line I gotta believe he's gonna wish he stuck around a little longer.

EDIT: Also, this is an unnerving part of the article:

He could have stayed in Grand Forks, working on his education and chasing the dream again next season, but watching a teammate like Brock Boeser leave for the NHL and linemates Shane Gersich and Austin Poganski enter talks of making the leap reignited his deep-seated desire to join the ranks of the top tier of the sport.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Probably about 0 legacy even though he was a great player to watch. If he has NHL success UND will obviously pimp that for all it's worth though.

It's hard to create a legacy in one year. I will remember him as one of the best freshman to play here, but always wonder what he would of been like had he stayed for another year. I'm still glad he came here and I hope he has a great pro career. He seemed like such a good kid.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

It's hard to create a legacy in one year. I will remember him as one of the best freshman to play here, but always wonder what he would of been like had he stayed for another year. I'm still glad he came here and I hope he has a great pro career. He seemed like such a good kid.

Agreed that legacy for 1 year and not winning a Natty, will be minimal.  Hopefully his decision to go now works out the best for him in the long run.  That being said, if he had returned, would most likely have furthered his leadership abilities and that could be a big benefit of his success at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

0 NCHC regular season titles.

0 NCHC playoff titles.

0-1 in NCAA tournament play.

Great freshman year, great talent, hopefully a great NHL career ahead, but legacy?

'Member when Josty came in and led us to the late game on Saturday at the Target Center?

#No3rdPlaceGame

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

0 NCHC regular season titles.

0 NCHC playoff titles.

0-1 in NCAA tournament play.

Great freshman year, great talent, hopefully a great NHL career ahead, but legacy?

That's really the point I was trying to make.....it seems like unfinished business.

About to watch the Avs/Blues game which will be the first for Jost. I won't lie, I wanna reach through the tv and punch McNab, Mike Haynes, and crew in the eye! They're going on and on about Jost (and rightfully so) but it's just a little raw for me just one week removed from UND's season coming to a startling end. 

• Upvote 2

Best freshmen years in recent memory:

1.  Parise- guy was the most anticipated recruit in history, and he did not disappoint.  Generated offense every shift.

2.  Osh- electric, just kind of surprised everyone on how great he was.  Clutch goals, lots of them, and big hits!

3.  Boeser- Natty and a monster year, kid shot out the lights. 

4.  Toews- Understated perfection, huge talent, big time recruiting get, what can you say about him...he's one of the 100 greatest ever

5.  Zajac- 20 goal freshman campaign key add taking the team to the NCAA finals

6.  Rocco, Kristo, Duncan, Bayda, Sparky, Jost...

So Jost might squeak into the top 10 best first years IMO, but not legacy material

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Best freshmen years in recent memory:

1.  Parise- guy was the most anticipated recruit in history, and he did not disappoint.  Generated offense every shift.

2.  Osh- electric, just kind of surprised everyone on how great he was.  Clutch goals, lots of them, and big hits!

3.  Boeser- Natty and a monster year, kid shot out the lights. 

4.  Toews- Understated perfection, huge talent, big time recruiting get, what can you say about him...he's one of the 100 greatest ever

5.  Zajac- 20 goal freshman campaign key add taking the team to the NCAA finals

6.  Rocco, Kristo, Duncan, Bayda, Sparky, Jost...

So Jost might squeak into the top 10 best first years IMO, but not legacy material

Toews should go ahead of Boeser.  Christ and Rocco should be down at a 7 spot.

4 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Agreed, to make a big impact he should have came back for another year.  I thought the same about Nelson.  He was awesome, but had he come back and played that junior year he would be cemented.  Both great players that left a year early (from a UND perspective).

Just now, yzerman19 said:

Did Toews hang a banner?  Simple Question :D

He didn't ride coat tails. Boeser had a perfect situation. He was damn good no doubt but Toews was something different. Everything he did was just cleaner and better. Jost was a great fr but not a legendary fr, not quite.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

He didn't ride coat tails. Boeser had a perfect situation. He was damn good no doubt but Toews was something different. Everything he did was just cleaner and better. Jost was a great fr but not a legendary fr, not quite.

Do I think Toews is a better hockey player?  Yes.  Did Toews have a more impactful and better freshman year- no.  Toews rookie year we also had Zajac and Stafford and Oshie and Duncan, so it wasn't like he didn't also have a supporting cast. 

1 minute ago, yzerman19 said:

Do I think Toews is a better hockey player?  Yes.  Did Toews have a more impactful and better freshman year- no.  Toews rookie year we also had Zajac and Stafford and Oshie and Duncan, so it wasn't like he didn't also have a supporting cast. 

I'm just saying he made my jaw drop every time I saw him play live his fr year which was a lot.