SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Due to all of the injuries it's time to readjust expectation to a realistic level. "Other teams have injuries too" isn't valid here. Find me another team that is down to its 5th and 6th MLBs. The OL also isn't helping. Those fr aren't ready and neither is Blair. Worst of all is the digression of the DL in my opinion. I don't think it was wise for Tank to lose weight in the off season. Our NTs aren't clogging things up like they need to.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Due to all of the injuries it's time to readjust expectation to a realistic level. "Other teams have injuries too" isn't valid here. Find me another team that is down to its 5th and 6th MLBs. The OL also isn't helping. Those fr aren't ready and neither is Blair. Worst of all is the digression of the DL in my opinion. I don't think it was wise for Tank to lose weight in the off season. Our NTs aren't clogging things up like they need to.

Anyone know what the scoop is with Murray?  He gives good effort on most kickoffs.  He looks like 5'11" to 6'0" and 225?  Why don't they give him a shot?

45 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Given the lack of depth at ILB - can you switch to a 4 - 3 vs 3 - 4.  UND has way more depth at D-line and other team would not be prepared for it..

No.  You really can't for a lot of reasons.  Schmitty isn't going to throw away 5 years of playing and 17 years of coaching the 3-4, which often is tops in the league.  There is a wrinkle you could do within the 3-4 but no one listens to me........

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Anyone know what the scoop is with Murray?  He gives good effort on most kickoffs.  He looks like 5'11" to 6'0" and 225?  Why don't they give him a shot?

He is not ready.  He plays "lost", not focused from what Ive seen at practices. He's seems bouncy but never around the play.  

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

No.  You really can't for a lot of reasons.  Schmitty isn't going to throw away 5 years of playing and 17 years of coaching the 3-4, which often is tops in the league.  There is a wrinkle you could do within the 3-4 but no one listens to me........

#hiregundy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Agreed with readjusting expectations. I do think that UND played against two great QB's that made this defense look worse than they are (even with all the injuries). Although the playoffs aren't going to happen this team, I need to see the following.

• Competitive games. 
  • 6 wins
  • Don't pull any RS
  • Rotate more than you usually would, get as many players reps as you can

This team wasn't going to win the last two, but when things aren't going your way, the score snowballs and it looks worse than it could have been. As was the case this week, next week is a must win. 

Question about ILB's though. I think we can all agree that Rodgers / Larson would be an excellent combination. Who's behind them except for Rastas? Bungum next year or would he be in OLB? Hunt? 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agreed with readjusting expectations. I do think that UND played against two great QB's that made this defense look worse than they are (even with all the injuries). Although the playoffs aren't going to happen this team, I need to see the following.

• Competitive games. 
  • 6 wins
  • Don't pull any RS

This team wasn't going to win the last two, but when things aren't going your way, the score snowballs and it looks worse than it could have been. As was the case this week, next week is a must win. 

Question about ILB's though. I think we can all agree that Rodgers / Larson would be an excellent combination. Who's behind them except for Rastas? Bungum next year or would he be in OLB? Hunt? 

Backups should be Rastas and cam.  When/if Rastas adds 20-25 lbs he will an animal. He has the perfect mentality to play LB and plays very agressive....just way to small currently to play all the mins he has been asked to do.  Will be a great backup to Noah and Donnell. 

Cam is such an unknown as he has been injured the entire time he's been here. But definitely looks the part physically and by his hudl tape. 

My guess is that they will  bring in maybe a couple transfers/juco players?  

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Competitive games. 
  • 6 wins
  • Don't pull any RS

Don't hold your breath on Bungum

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Disagree. UND's backups are playing bad. Their starters are also playing poorly. The coaching staff is having lapses they didn't have last season. 

Injuries are a part of the problem, but Bubba has had 4 seasons to recruit depth. Why isn't it here? Disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disagree. UND's backups are playing bad. Their starters are also playing poorly. The coaching staff is having lapses they didn't have last season. 

Injuries are a part of the problem, but Bubba has had 4 seasons to recruit depth. Why isn't it here? Disappointing. 

I outlined why it isn't here at MLB in another thread. Injuries + abnormal attrition. Same for the OL. Also, Dev Ferguson would have looked good in green as a senior.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I outlined why it isn't here at MLB in another thread. Injuries + abnormal attrition. Same for the OL. Also, Dev Ferguson would have looked good in green as a senior.

Dev Ferguson would barely make the 2nd team. Average across the board. 

Yes, all teams have attrition, just that the good ones have less. UND lost some backers to untimely injury, absolutely, but the offensive and defensive lines are also playing horrible.

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Dev Ferguson would barely make the 2nd team. Average across the board. 

Yes, all teams have attrition, just that the good ones have less. UND lost some backers to untimely injury, absolutely, but the offensive and defensive lines are also playing horrible.

bull$%!# Dev was a stud as a true fr.

I agree on the lines. Both are too small and not strong enough.

7 hours ago, Westside said:

Remember in the off-season when there was all this talk about finding ways to get Santiago the ball in space, lining him up in the slot, etc. etc.... other than a screen pass or 2, it hasn't happened. 

If you are not capable of playing the smash-mouth style you want, then time to add some new wrinkles & get a little creative. Sucks when our most talented & game changing offensive player is on the sidelines every other series. Be nice to see him & Brady on the field together. 

been mentioned here a couple times but would be nice if someone from the heraldo does a q&a with rudy as to why brady was the target of a couple of passes instead of santiago??? santiago in space=dangerous  brady in space=kinda a sitting duck

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

been mentioned here a couple times but would be nice if someone from the heraldo does a q&a with rudy as to why brady was the target of a couple of passes instead of santiago??? santiago in space=dangerous  brady in space=kinda a sitting duck

Tom Miller has shown some spine from time to time - It is time to hear what is going on and have the staff answer some specific questions that we all have been thinking rather than just the Bubba explanation after the blowouts.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

John didn't see much time in the backfield in the 2nd half and really only seemed to be returning punts.  Not sure if he was tired, injury or they just wanted to see what Brady could do.  There was one or two pass plays to Brady that happened when John was in early.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was in Brookings the day we beat SDSU and Klosterman got hurt diving into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown. Driving home in the autumn rain, I knew losing Klosterman was the final nail in the coffin for that season. Looks like that is the case again this year. :(

Klosternan  was good  as were  QBs after him in the 2000s.

Were the best 2 on the roster  in 2012  Braden Hanson  and Narcus  Hendrickson.

This list is so ridiculous, I'm guessing I missed one or two but injuries from Spring/Pre-Fall 2-Deep:

MILB
Connor O'Brien - #1 Strong-Side (career)
Donnell Rodgers - #1 Weak-Side (likely season)
Noah Larson - #2 Strong Side
Cam Hunt - #2 Weak Side

CB
Deion Harris - #1 Left Side (season)
Evan Holm - #1 Right Side

Safety
Andre Randolph - #2 Strong Safety (season)
Cole Reyes - #1 Strong Safety (unknown timetable)

Offensive Line
AJ Stockwell - #1 LT
Demon Taylor - #1 RG
Mat Cox - #1 RT

Fullback/Tight End
Kyle Norberg - #1 FB
Luke Fiedler - #1 TE (unknown timetable)

Wide Receiver 
Luke Stanley - #2 WR
Josh Seibel - #2 WR/PR
Easton Erbes - Depth

This doesn't include Keelan Poole (#1 SOLB) and Elijah Grady (#1/2 RT) who were kicked off/didn't return for fall camp respectively. 

Edits/Additions:
Austin Gordon wouldn't have been on the 2-deep but did see some playing time and was a special team contributor who was suspended for the season.
Cam McKinney also never made it onto the 2-deep but was expected to contribute out of the slot before being injured and red-shirted.

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This list is so ridiculous, I'm guessing I missed one or two but injuries from Spring/Pre-Fall 2-Deep:

MILB
Cam Hunt - #2 Weak Side

CB

Safety

Offensive Line
AJ Stockwell - #1 LT
Demon Taylor - #1 RG
Mat Cox - #1 RT

Fullback/Tight End
Kyle Norberg - #1 FB

Wide Receiver 
Luke Stanley - #2 WR
Josh Seibel - #2 WR/PR
Easton Erbes - Depth

This doesn't include Keelan Poole (#1 SOLB) and Elijah Grady (#1/2 RT) who were kicked off/didn't return for fall camp respectively.

Forgot Cam McKinney.  Was to be unds top level guy.  

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

MILB
Cam Hunt - #2 Weak Side

CB

Safety

Offensive Line
AJ Stockwell - #1 LT
Demon Taylor - #1 RG
Mat Cox - #1 RT

Fullback/Tight End
Kyle Norberg - #1 FB

Wide Receiver 
Luke Stanley - #2 WR
Josh Seibel - #2 WR/PR
Easton Erbes - Depth

This list does not include running back "Flash" Gordon who was suspended for violating some kind of NCAA polcy.. Supposed to return next season.