SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: North Dakota v. Richmond

bincitysioux

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Giving the other team a first down on a punt penalty gave Richmond momentum of having a first down with 65 yards to drive to score.

It was not the reason UND lost the game.

It didn't help any. 

The blocked punt was also a killer. 

Special Teams hurt. 

That missed field goal would've been nice to have, also.

• Upvote 1

and i' guess after reading this thread i surprised that no one has pointed out that we should have let them score on first and goal with one minute left.... would you rather have to go 80 yards with one minute and 1 timeout to score a td or hope richmond misses a 1 yard field goal...

i know which one i would do

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Sitting behind Richnonds bench that play gave them life.  The long pass shortly after gave them energy and momentum.  I get what your saying but a three and out there would have absolutely crushed them.  Game of emotion

Yes they gained momentum after they had none. 

UND couldn't gain momentum after they had none.

UND had momentum early in the game. Richmond later in the game. Richmond used that momentum to score more points than UND did when it had the momentum.

Richmond wins.

Point being it's easy to see that play of what gained momentum. But equal is what didn't gain momentum. So and so dropped a pass on a third down that would have given the team a first down and given UND momentum back (in the fourth)...There for one also has to say that receiver that dropped that pass "cost UND the game."

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and i' guess after reading this thread i surprised that no one has pointed out that we should have let them score on first and goal with one minute left.... would you rather have to go 80 yards with one minute and 1 timeout to score a td or hope richmond misses a 1 yard field goal...

i know which one i would do

I think UND got out coached this game.

• Upvote 1

Going to call out a partial section of fans: inside upper half of 203 would sit a good part of the game, even on some third downs.  

Some third downs they stood, yes, but other third downs there would be 6-7 rows and probably the first 10 seats ALL sitting.  Looked so stupid when the other 10,000 people were standing and yelling.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Richmond was one yard short on the third down before the punt penalty...if Richmond gained one more yard on that play and got the first down...did that one yard give Richmond the win? And enough momentum?

While their bench exploded, most likely not enough immediately( but gives them another chance to get on track), but the blocked punt mentally hurts us much much more. It takes a combination of events to lose after 24 - 7.  The pendulum swung immediately with the block, then momenten continued to build till last play of the game as Richmond lead for the first time with 0 seconds left.

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

While their bench exploded, most likely not enough immediately( but gives them another chance to get on track), but the blocked punt mentally hurts us much much more. It takes a combination of events to lose after 24 - 7.  The pendulum swung immediately with the block, then momenten continued to build till last play of the game as Richmond lead for the first time with 0 seconds left.

No doubt.

It's was part of a a momentum builder and they build more on the back of UND not being able to do anything to stop it. And they were able to use it to outscore UND than when they had momentum.

People saying it was the reason UND lost the game which I say :lol:.

UND 3rd down conversions earlier 4-9. 

With three minutes left in the game commentators, mention UND was 1-6 on the last 7.

And after that missed 3rd down conversion that could have kept the drive alive ran the clock down and kicked a UND game winning field goal. They had to give Richmond the ball back and the rest is history.

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

UND 3rd down conversions earlier 4-9. 

With three minutes left in the game commentators, mention UND was 1-6 on the last 7.

Verses all the big plays Richmond had on 3rd down, our defense was close to stopping them a few times. Our inability to move the ball in the 4th quarter are also reasons to the 24 - 7 floop. There were many many plays and play calls that contributed to this melt down.

• Upvote 1

Everyone knows there are turning points that specifically don't cost you the game, but change the total complexion of the game. If UND, would have lost to BC in hockey last night, how many people would have said it was Gardner's penalty that cost us the game? They could have killed the penalties, yet it was a turning point that turned the whole tenor of the game.  

39 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i was yelling let them score...and i got a few quizzical looks

Prior to that...on their previous TD.....when they shifted at the line of scrimmage and sent three guys wide out to the left and we only had two guys out there covering I was standing up yelling to take a freaking time out!!!  It was obvious the ball was going over there, especially when we only had two damn guys in that entire area....ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Prior to that...on their previous TD.....when they shifted at the line of scrimmage and sent three guys wide out to the left and we only had two guys out there covering I was standing up yelling to take a freaking time out!!!  It was obvious the ball was going over there, especially when we only had two damn guys in that entire area....ridiculous.

I noticed that too. Prior to the shift it looked like confusion on the defense. Then they shifted and really caught UND off guard and out manned in that area.

Punt team had a direct hand in 2/3's of our losses this season.  I believe after that SB game when we got the punt blocked and people were pissed, somebody commented it wouldn't happen again.  Uh well it did.  Let's not forget that we gave up a punt return for a TD as well last night but there was a penalty.  I went to the bathroom during the punt and missed it  so I'm not sure if it was a good flag, or if we lucked out and got saved by that penalty.  

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Richmond was one yard short on the third down before the punt penalty...if Richmond gained one more yard on that play and got the first down...did that one yard give Richmond the win? And enough momentum?

The kicking penalty was 5 yards and Richmond had to go 77 yards to score. Even after that score UND still had a ten point lead. The inability of UND to regain momentum on offense or defense after that by not staying sharp cost and essentially coasting helped cost them the game.

This is an accurate analysis.  Good teams overcome those brain farts.  Whats really got me pissed is we are that good team but we don't deliver today when it really counts.  We could have won the conference alone next week.  What's the point of becoming a dominant team in a power conference if your going to lay an egg against an eastern team of mostly backups.  I can't figure this one out

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

What's the point of becoming a dominant team in a power conference if your going to lay an egg against an eastern team of mostly backups.  I can't figure this one out

At home where it is usually pretty easy to regain momentum after those 5 yard brain fart penalties.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

actually i was in section 215...did i stand out or just a guess?

Lower section? The best section in the Alerus outside the students.

Just a guess. Your not in the lower part of 215 (few rows..5 or so...from the field) and part of the sections cheer leaders with Brad are you?

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Lower section? The best section in the Alerus outside the students.

Just a guess. Your not in the lower part of 215 (few rows..5 or so...from the field) and part of the sections cheer leaders with Brad are you?

no..215 handicapped section...get this...alerus security told me if i sit in handicapped seating you CANNOT stand at any time??? almost got kicked out...

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It didn't help any. 

The blocked punt was also a killer. 

Special Teams hurt. 

That missed field goal would've been nice to have, also.

When a team is on the ropes facing a knockout.. The mentality is, all we need is one break or bounce or call to go our way. In most playoff games, if you have a kick blocked, you will lose. In contrast, if you score on a special teams play, you will usually win.