SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

39 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

Gophers’ linebacker recruit Bryson Jackson flipped his oral commitment to Baylor on Sunday, he said on Twitter.

Does this late change affect Ott's situation with UM at all? Were they looking at him as a LB? 

Probably not, Gophers have a lot of very good depth at LB I don't think they will look to add another one and I think they were looking at Ott as more of a DE who would need to put on some weight.

Glad to hear Adeoti committed, and the new still sounds positive on Ott, though I'll feel better on signing day. A little nervous that we haven't heard from any of the OL yet. Obviously Bull is a long shot, as he was committed to Fresno State, but he still took a visit this weekend, which had to mean there was an outside chance.

Rousemiller is a bit curious, as UND seems to be his only offer, other than a PWO at MN. I wonder if we'll hear something today or tomorrow. Maybe they kid just wanted to digest his visit and talk with his family. Getting this one would make me feel a little better though.

Ott is this year's hot recruit.  He was in last weekend and it went very well, but he has had FBS and FCS offers in the past week.  Not sure what teams but I do see Washington State and Western Michigan are following him on Twitter now.  

Let's hope the work the staff put in building a relationship with him since early last spring will pay off.  

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Ott is this year's hot recruit.  He was in last weekend and it went very well, but he has had FBS and FCS offers in the past week.  Not sure what teams but I do see Washington State and Western Michigan are following him on Twitter now.  

Let's hope the work the staff put in building a relationship with him since early last spring will pay off.  

Heard he was offered by Washington State but passed and reconfirmed his commitment this weekend on an official visit 

Wondering about how recruiting goes. I imagine there was a time that we had to "settle" on a recruit because we ran out of time and couldn't get those we really wanted. Hopefully, we are past that now but I don't know. Can anyone chime in as to if we still offer because we need a body. Are there any in this recruiting class that we are just settling on or do they all have the potential to succeed? Not looking for names but just overall. Hopefully this doesn't offend - like I said - just wondering?

7 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Wondering about how recruiting goes. I imagine there was a time that we had to "settle" on a recruit because we ran out of time and couldn't get those we really wanted. Hopefully, we are past that now but I don't know. Can anyone chime in as to if we still offer because we need a body. Are there any in this recruiting class that we are just settling on or do they all have the potential to succeed? Not looking for names but just overall. Hopefully this doesn't offend - like I said - just wondering?

I can't tell if your serious

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hopefully the conference announcement doesn't result in the loss of any committed recruits.  Can we start recruiting short, slow DBs again now that we only have to worry about mvfc offenses? ;)

No, but we may have to recruit better linemen across the board. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hopefully the conference announcement doesn't result in the loss of any committed recruits.  Can we start recruiting short, slow DBs again now that we only have to worry about mvfc offenses? ;)

They committed to bubba and UND.  Same coach, same school, different conference in three years.      Doubt it would be a factor.  Big  sky does have some great destination cities to see,  but to not commit because of 4-5 games or 4-5 days a year would be very questionable.  They loved bubba, UND and the upward swing that the football team currently is in.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, UND-1 said:

Besides Washington State offering, NDSU and UNI both came in with full rides in the past two weeks.  He turned them both down.  Gotta hold on for a couple more days.  

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Besides Washington State offering, NDSU and UNI both came in with full rides in the past two weeks.  He turned them both down.  Gotta hold on for a couple more days.  

I knew NDSU came at him.  They want/wanted him very bad.  Didn't know UNI had offered but knew they have been in contact.  Final push is here. 

53 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Gotta commend the kid for sticking to his original commitment. After losing Seguin already, I'm sure this coaching staff and recruiters have done all they can to hold on to Ott.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Gotta commend the kid for sticking to his original commitment. After losing Seguin already, I'm sure this coaching staff and recruiters have done all they can to hold on to Ott.

Every time this thread pops up, I hope that we have received some OL committs. Getting a little nervous in that area.

Also pretty bummed about Seguin. Anyone know what the story was on him?

7 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Not out of the woods yet.  Still 6 more days and teams are starting to really panic now.  Lets hope for the best!

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Also pretty bummed about Seguin. Anyone know what the story was on him?

I'm assuming it was something academic-related (not that he's a bad student necessarily, but that he didn't meet course requirements or something of that nature for admission to UND or for ncaa clearinghouse).  247 still has him committed to us, so apparently he hasn't chosen another school at this point.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm assuming it was something academic-related (not that he's a bad student necessarily, but that he didn't meet course requirements or something of that nature for admission to UND or for ncaa clearinghouse).  247 still has him committed to us, so apparently he hasn't chosen another school at this point.

I think he kind of waffled a bit when it came down to it and we moved on.  Possibly some bad advice mixed in.  Haven't seen him with any other offers so it may not turn out too well.  We'll see.  

I see a lot of folks disappointed that we have so few commitments from OLs.  I'm not sure they are as big of a priority as others do because of the numbers we already have in the program.

As it currently stands UND has the following players for next season:

Senior: Miller, Cox, Bell, Stockwell

Junior: Aplin, Stiner, Taylor

Sophomore: Rooney, Blair

Redshirt Freshmen: Tobin, Hunt, Nuon, Russo, Helgren, Mortel

Freshmen: Prine, Kruse

That's a total of 17 players.

I randomly looked at some other top FCS programs.  This is how many OLs they have on the roster:

YSU: 15

NDSU: 20

Eastern Washington: 14

SDSU: 15

James Madison: 17

We certainly don't want to turn down someone who Coach Knopf really wants, but as it stands we have healthy OL numbers compared to the other programs I looked at.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I thought the same thing.  There are a few years there where no matter how good the team is, there will be NO conference championship to be had.  Nat'l championship or nothing, I guess.