SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sorority in Trouble for Being a Sioux Fan

Old Time Hockey

Jay Thomas on WDAY radio is having a guest that is going to explain how the sign was racist and everyone who thinks otherwise is also racist. He's on from 2-6 p.m. central I believe you can stream it from WDAY Radio website.

Jay Thomas on WDAY radio is having a guest that is going to explain how the sign was racist and everyone who thinks otherwise is also racist. He's on from 2-6 p.m. central I believe you can stream it from WDAY Radio website.

And then after that person is done telling Jay and everyone that will listen that UND is still a racist institution he/she will continue to put forth his/her's life's work to solving the rampid issues on the ND reservations of alcoholism, domestic abuse, child abuse, unemployment, drug abuse, diabetes................. :huh::glare:

It should not be the job or the mission of a public university to protect students from being offended. There should be no "speech codes" at a public university. There should be no forced sensitivity training for those who don't share the same monolithic thought as the prevailing culture on that campus. The cure for "offensive" speech is more speech. It should not involve discipline from the university. This is the essence of a free society. How our society has devolved to a point where it accepts a public university disciplining students for speech it deems offensive is truly a sad indictment on our society as a whole.

• Upvote 4

It should not be the job or the mission of a public university to protect students from being offended. There should be no "speech codes" at a public university. There should be no forced sensitivity training for those who don't share the same monolithic thought as the prevailing culture on that campus. The cure for "offensive" speech is more speech. It should not involve discipline from the university. This is the essence of a free society. How our society has devolved to a point where it accepts a public university disciplining students for speech it deems offensive is truly a sad indictment on our society as a whole.

I couldn't agree more with you. Had the Gamma Phi Beta sorority hung a sign that read "We support the Russian-speaking people of Crimea in their struggle against Ukraine," the result would have likely been exactly the same. We are spoon-fed what we should believe by our news media and any other opinions are immediately squashed.

On the flip-side, imagine the uproar had the sign read "SINGLE-PAYER HEALTHCARE NOW!," "WE ARE THE 99%," or "WORKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!" and the sign removed by order of President Kelley, you can bet the farm that civil rights and free speech attorneys all across the country would be booking flights to Grand Forks immediately.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree more with you. Had the Gamma Phi Beta sorority hung a sign that read "We support the Russian-speaking people of Crimea in their struggle against Ukraine," the result would have likely been exactly the same. We are spoon-fed what we should believe by our news media and any other opinions are immediately squashed.

On the flip-side, imagine the uproar had the sign read "SINGLE-PAYER HEALTHCARE NOW!," "WE ARE THE 99%," or "WORKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!" and the sign removed by order of President Kelley, you can bet the farm that civil rights and free speech attorneys all across the country would be booking flights to Grand Forks immediately.

Now MafiaMan, let's not go down the slippery-slope of politics. ;)

This was a gross overreaction by an administration that felt The Beer Lady would cause students to drink themselves to death. This is pure CYA BS from a President that is as good at it as anyone that has ever held that job. :glare:

You are spot-on! This is just another example of public universities pushing a political agenda down the throats of their students. If "single-payer healthcare now", etc. banners would have been posted, the administration would have done everything in their power not to applaud them publicly. Freedom of speech is encouraged on campus' as long as it fits their agenda. Cross that agenda and you are sent to sensitivity training!

Did I read that the Native American Cultural Center was going to be teaching them this "sensitivity training"? Wow - can you imagine how condesending that presentation will be.

I have dealt personally with some within that Center...arrogant and ignorant is as kind as I can describe my interactions with some of them.

They have ZERO desire to hear or consider any opinion that doesn't fall in line with their ideology and agenda.

Did I read that the Native American Cultural Center was going to be teaching them this "sensitivity training"? Wow - can you imagine how condesending that presentation will be.

This is how it might go..

NACC - "We are here to talk to you girls about the insensative and offensive sign you hung from your house the second week of April. We think it is not appropriate to blame us Native Americans for removing the nickname that is used by UND."

GPB - "We weren't talking about you. We were talking about the NCAA."

NACC - "Oh......ok....well then.......this completes the training. Have a nice day."

• Upvote 1

This is how it might go..

NACC - "We are here to talk to you girls about the insensative and offensive sign you hung from your house the second week of April. We think it is not appropriate to blame us Native Americans for removing the nickname that is used by UND."

GPB - "We weren't talking about you. We were talking about the NCAA."

NACC - "Oh......ok....well then.......this completes the training. Have a nice day."

That is how this supposed sensitivity training should go. I'd bet the farm that there will be an agenda pushed though.

So who is the racist -- the one who cries racism to everything under the sun, or the person who calls a dirtbag a dirtbag, regardless of race or ethnicity? I think you're really reaching to find something offensive in that sign.

So who is the racist -- the one who cries racism to everything under the sun, or the person who calls a dirtbag a dirtbag, regardless of race or ethnicity? I think you're really reaching to find something offensive in that sign.

I think you misunderstood what I meant to say? I don't think any sensitivity course is necessary but it sounds like it's being forced upon these girls.

A term that was used in another thread is a racist term though.

And now I understand there are folks claiming that yesterday's car theft/kidnapping news reports as racist because the accused individual was identified as being an unknown Native American man on the news last night. It appears that some are really reaching to make some noise during timeout week. This is really too bad.

And now I understand there are folks claiming that yesterday's car theft/kidnapping news reports as racist because the accused individual was identified as being an unknown Native American man on the news last night. It appears that some are really reaching to make some noise during timeout week. This is really too bad.

Theft...kidnapping...NA involved.

Banner..."mascot"...pride.

Yup...I see how both could be construed as "racist". :(

So tired of this BS..............

And it continues.....

UND Student Body President Attacked On Social Media For Vetoing Buffalo Feed Funding Request

Student Body President Nick Creamer came under fire on social media (see the #fundthefeed hashtag on Twitter) for vetoing a request for an additional $4,000 to fund a buffalo feed at a powwow that coincides with a week of events by Native American students and organizations.

The student government had already appropriated $20,000 in student fees to the event – $12,000 more than the $8,000 cap for such events – and Creamer, who appeared on Chris Berg’s show to explain the situation, felt the additional request was excessive.

Many, judging by the postings on social media, feel Creamer did it because he’s a dirty, dirty racist. As evidence, Creamer’s critics point to a tweet he posted around the time of his veto decision using the hashtag #FightingSiouxForever.

Of course, the hockey team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux are in the Frozen Four this week, and Creamer’s tweet had more to do with that than his veto. But those facts don’t seem to matter.

I think the NACC needs to take a road trip to Minneapolis to educate these folks

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014/04/students_riot_in_dinkytown_chant_f_the_sioux_after_crazy_gophers_hockey_win_videos.php