SiouxSports.com Forum

Best College Towns

GeauxSioux

Grand Forks could be an even better college town if the city council didn't always try to keep focus on "tourist destination" rather than college town. Over the years, the city council has made it known that they don't want GF to be known as a college town, so you get the sound ordinances, the housing restrictions on University, etc.

• Upvote 2

There are very few jobs in Grand Forks for people with college degrees. Outside of UND, Grand Forks consists of a (1) hospital and a bunch of retail stores and restaurants to cater to the Canadians. Those stores and restaurants are great for college students because it gives them a place to work/shop/hang out during college, but after graduation most people would prefer to make more than $4/hour plus tips. Fargo is larger and provides more employment opportunities for our alumni and, at least in my experience, most of the companies there prefer to hire UND grads (obligatory jab).

Yes to all this...has not changed in the last 25 years...Minot will be #3 in the state within 10 years.

There are very few jobs in Grand Forks for people with college degrees. Outside of UND, Grand Forks consists of a (1) hospital and a bunch of retail stores and restaurants to cater to the Canadians. Those stores and restaurants are great for college students because it gives them a place to work/shop/hang out during college, but after graduation most people would prefer to make more than $4/hour plus tips. Fargo is larger and provides more employment opportunities for our alumni and, at least in my experience, most of the companies there prefer to hire UND grads (obligatory jab).

Sounds like the definition of a college town.

Sounds like the definition of a college town.

Agreed. My comment was more towards why Fargo would be higher in this list and better for certain people. Fargo is probably going to have better scores than GF in cost of living, earning potential, brain gain, and entrepreneurial activity (all of which are factors in this list).

Because they were done with College. :lol:

I have lived in Fargo for about 20 years now, From Bismarck originally and lived in Grand Forks for 6 years....All are good cities in their own way, but only 1 of them would I consider a "College Town" and that is Grand Forks. Fargo is a cool city that has a University while Grand Forks revolves around the Univeristy.

Completely agree. Not comparing Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks for who is "better," but only Grand Forks is a college town.