SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I wonder what kind of a pay day we will get. I would like to think it would be 300K+. But I am also a little leary about them being notorious for running up the score when they can.

2006 - SE-Louisiana 62-0

2007 - Northwestern St. (La.) 75-7

yeah they'll bring it! good luck!

Very cool. I'd be interested to know how we got this game since UND won't be eligible as a counter for a bowl game until 2010. :huh:

At any rate, it looks like our openings for FBS teams are full for the coming years with Texas Tech in '09, and Idaho in '10 and '11.

Very cool. I'd be interested to know how we got this game since UND won't be eligible as a counter for a bowl game until 2010. :huh:

At any rate, it looks like our openings for FBS teams are full for the coming years with Texas Tech in '09, and Idaho in '10 and '11.

UND has less pricing power until 2010 due to the scholarship averaging rule, so Texas Tech probably spent less on a guarantee than other FCS teams would require, and unlike other FCS teams, a loss doesn't risk post-season and Texas Tech got seven home games.

With Idaho likely not giving that high of a quarantee and actually being a winnable game (and with us needing games), I would suspect UND would play at least two FBS teams those years.

I wonder what kind of a pay day we will get. I would like to think it would be 300K+. But I am also a little leary about them being notorious for running up the score when they can.

I have heard in the 300k-350k range. I don't know if they also included plane tickets or not. Still a pretty darn good payday so soon! I do believe there is 1 exemption a year or something like that for teams to play a non-qualifier...Hammersmith?

This is a great job of scheduling by Faison and the crew over at Hyslop. Who cares if they blow teams out, we need to play the big boys and get paid. Oh, and play if front of possible recruits, that never hurts! We will be seeing more of this in the future.

I have heard in the 300k-350k range. I don't know if they also included plane tickets or not. Still a pretty darn good payday so soon! I do believe there is 1 exemption a year or something like that for teams to play a non-qualifier...Hammersmith?

This is a great job of scheduling by Faison and the crew over at Hyslop. Who cares if they blow teams out, we need to play the big boys and get paid. Oh, and play if front of possible recruits, that never hurts! We will be seeing more of this in the future.

An FCS school needs to average 56.7 scholarships (90% of 63) for the prior two years prior to being a bowl counter (unless this has changed). Going into the 2009 season, we would be at 49.5 average, but in 2010 we should average 63.

If UND is getting that payout, Faison's contacts in West Texas/N Mex are paying off well!

I agree Faison has done a good job using his contacts to get a game like this so soon into the transition. Hopefully, he will be able to leverage the hockey program and get some games, too. Wouldn't it be nice to play Boston College in something besides hockey. :huh:

I have cousins in Lubbock who went to Texas Tech. I'm sure their dad, a UND grad, will get them all out to the game.

An FCS school needs to average 56.7 scholarships (90% of 63) for the prior two years prior to being a bowl counter (unless this has changed). Going into the 2009 season, we would be at 49.5 average, but in 2010 we should average 63.

If UND is getting that payout, Faison's contacts in West Texas/N Mex are paying off well!

The rule has been worded as a two year rolling average for the past couple years, as opposed to the prior wording of 'two preceding years'. From the NCAA DI Manual

30.9.2.2 Exception

I like it. There is none of this "tiptoeing" into the former IA playing teams like Ball State or Central Michigan like a certain school to the south.

Let me know how it works out. Getting the shi$ kicked out of you before you have the players you want and are up to 63 scholarships is one way to approach DI. NDSU had chances to play some of the powers in BCS but decided to play teams they had a chance to win against. Good luck with the game.

Let me know how it works out. Getting the shi$ kicked out of you before you have the players you want and are up to 63 scholarships is one way to approach DI. NDSU had chances to play some of the powers in BCS but decided to play teams they had a chance to win against. Good luck with the game.

I thought the Bison motto was..."Anyone. Anyplace. Anytime."?

BTW...thanks for your concern.

I just checked out one of the Red Raider forums to see what they were saying about the '09 schedule...there is a small debate whether they are playing the team that beat Minnesota or the one who is good at hockey.

:huh:

I thought fans from both North Dakota schools would get a kick out of that...

RaiderPower.com

No guts, no glory. I wonder if UC-Davis regrets playing Stanford back in 2005? Or for that matter, how about a certain dII school playing Montana back in 2003? Whether UND is competitive or gets completely blown out isn't the point. We have basically nothing to play for over the next four years, so these types of games make perfect sense. And it will be a nice paycheck to boot.

No guts, no glory. I wonder if UC-Davis regrets playing Stanford back in 2005? Or for that matter, how about a certain dII school playing Montana back in 2003? Whether UND is competitive or gets completely blown out isn't the point. We have basically nothing to play for over the next four years, so these types of games make perfect sense. And it will be a nice paycheck to boot.

Well said. Look for a few more games like this to pop on the schedule in the next few years.

Well said. Look for a few more games like this to pop on the schedule in the next few years.

Well said?? What a joke - 92,96's analogy is skewed as there is a larger difference in the talent level of TT and UND than the teams he mentioned. As a athletic dept I would think you would like to give your teams every chance to succeed as possible in the transition to DI. I can see playing TT after the transition when your up to speed in scholarships and have more depth. But to throw the 09 team to the wolves after losing 18 seniors and starting a new qb is an act of desperation for attendtion by the AD. Coach Lennon would have never scheduled it. We'll see how it works out for you next year.

Well said?? What a joke - 92,96's analogy is skewed as there is a larger difference in the talent level of TT and UND than the teams he mentioned. As a athletic dept I would think you would like to give your teams every chance to succeed as possible in the transition to DI. I can see playing TT after the transition when your up to speed in scholarships and have more depth. But to throw the 09 team to the wolves after losing 18 seniors and starting a new qb is an act of desperation for attendtion by the AD. Coach Lennon would have never scheduled it. We'll see how it works out for you next year.

Who cares how it works out. There is a 99.9999% chance that we lose, we know that. They are going to be very good this year and will be next year too. The administration decided to start playing guarantee games in the 2nd year and it can only help the program when that 350-large comes rolling in. NDSU didn't start playing D1-A's until their 3rd year so getting that extra payday should really help UND along in their funding of the move.

As long as their are 10 other games on the schedule that are winnable or within reach then I have no problem playing Texas Tech next year. The players will not let it demoralize them because they know they will be huge underdogs and there will be 10 games left after its over.

Its going to be blast and they will remember it for the rest of their lives, no matter what the score.

You know what? I am sick and damn tired of seeing Sioux fans and Bison fans bark back and forth about stupid, meaningless crap like this! Good grief!! This is seriously something to be huffy about? We just landed on the schedule of Texas Tech! Good for us! There is no need for petty arguements between the two sides. NDSU had a great transition to DI.....great! Did they play different opponents in their transisition?? YEAH, THEY DID! Why worry about it? We have our own transition to worry about and NDSU fans have their first playoff-eligible season to worry about. Like it or not, these are two programs that are on different footings. That's the way it is. If NDSU wants to get paid to go to Minneapolis and beat the Gophers, that's their choice. If we want to cash in a payday to go to Texas Tech to play, that's our choice. I guess I just don't understand the bickering. It makes everyone look petty and small. GO SIOUX.

Dan, the last line of your post is the key. We'll have to see how it works out next year.

It is 13 months away. That is a full season of experience for the underclassmen. It is a full year for the coaches to get some games under their collective belts. A full year of recruiting for more and better talent. A year from now UND will likely have Chappell back in a Sioux uniform. A lot can happen in a year.

Additionally, it is the opener for the Red Raiders. They may not be fully prepared, take the game lightly, etc. Who knows?? It is still year away.

But, it does add a little WOW factor to the upcoming schedule and may help to lure some recruits who may have been looking elsewhere. And another plus is that it has the Bison fans in a tizzy. :huh:

• Downvote 1

Who cares how it works out. There is a 99.9999% chance that we lose, we know that. They are going to be very good this year and will be next year too. The administration decided to start playing guarantee games in the 2nd year and it can only help the program when that 350-large comes rolling in. NDSU didn't start playing D1-A's until their 3rd year so getting that extra payday should really help UND along in their funding of the move.

As long as their are 10 other games on the schedule that are winnable or within reach then I have no problem playing Texas Tech next year. The players will not let it demoralize them because they know they will be huge underdogs and there will be 10 games left after its over.

Its going to be blast and they will remember it for the rest of their lives, no matter what the score.

Actually there is about a 150% chance that we will get beat and beat quite badly. What the heck, it is a big payday, we are in transition, and it will still be quite an experience. We will definitely get a lot of exposure. Beleive it or not it can't hurt to tell recruits they can go along to Lubbock, Texas. Bison fans will ridicule everything we do anyway no matter what we do. It is always fine when they do something, but if UND does the same thing they laugh at it. It is just hitting a nerve with Bison fans that UND is already going to have high profile game on our schedule. UND will be playing by far a lot better team than NDSU has played so far in the Division I experience. NDSU better watch out. We're coming!!!