SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie suspended one game

UND92,96

well if they were out partying it was on a saturday night, which means they had already lost, so to make your point valid they would have to go out on friday night and party and then lose on saturday. its not like oshie and this other guy were out holding hands and partying, they both ended up in an elevator and more than likely words were exchanged and a few fists too (not sure what happened, so i dont want to start any rumors, so dont take my words seriously). but all i know is when i get arrested for a disorderly conduct charge i want my face on the front page of the paper and all over the news because its only fair! :lol:

So what the hell was that UNH player doing out anyhow? Were he and Oshie not out together at some party? I find it hard to believe that guy would just venture out into greater GF on his own?? Anyone have any insight into this?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what the hell was that UNH player doing out anyhow? Were he and Oshie not out together at some party? I find it hard to believe that guy would just venture out into greater GF on his own?? Anyone have any insight into this?

since there plane didnt leave till the next morning its kinda hard to say what he was doing out. who knows maybe him and oshie new each other(chances are pretty slim, but you never know). plus its not that hard to call a cab with some of your other buddies on the hockey team to come pick you up at your hotel and go to the local bar. i am willing to bet that this UNH player wasnt the only one out from this team, this player just happen to find a jersey chaser and wanted to throw down his best moves, he probably got upset when oshie stole his girl in the elevator.

yeah well, they should keep their asses at the Holiday Inn(UNH). Can anyone cofirm that the actual charge and calling of the police was due to a fight between Oshie and the UNH player in the elevator? I have heard a rumor that a lot of the players have apartments downtown and that a lot ofa partying goes on there. We need some leadership on this team...Can you say Lee Goren or Jeff Panzer?? Now those were leaders...and yeah they probably had a beer or two at a party but they were smart enough to steer clear of the cops.

While they may be laying low so far on this situation, I think they played a pretty big part in last years incident. I brought them up to make a point that this town is full of shady journalism. They have good sports coverage and some decent reporters, but the majority of columnists and opinion writers leave a lot to be desired. I just get tired of this idea that everyone wants the news to be as exciting as a reality show. Just give me the facts, treat people equally and respectfully, and try not to drool on yourself when you get chosen to give details about a story like this.

I can agree with that. Thanks for the clarification. I think DAZ especially reflects the characteristics you ascribe to local media. The Herald less so. TV tends to go off half cocked on stories that aren't stories, making more of a situation than is actually there. The paper is not guiltless, but it tends to be more measured.

What does one have to do to get a disorderly conduct these days? Fighting?

well - it can cover just about anyting that thet cops want it to. That US Senator from Utah pled guilty to d.c. for "tapping" his foot in the men's stall here at the MSP airport last year.

I sincerely doubt that TJ did similar in this situation though.

Who knows - perhaps it is a bogus deal by the cops and D.A. like what occured with Robiie outside of Judy's. That stupid thing went all the way to court until the judge threw it out for being worthless.

Anyway - as far as I can tell - he was arrested for d.c. and has not been charged as of yet. We will see.

yeah well, they should keep their asses at the Holiday Inn(UNH). Can anyone cofirm that the actual charge and calling of the police was due to a fight between Oshie and the UNH player in the elevator? I have heard a rumor that a lot of the players have apartments downtown and that a lot ofa partying goes on there. We need some leadership on this team...Can you say Lee Goren or Jeff Panzer?? Now those were leaders...and yeah they probably had a beer or two at a party but they were smart enough to steer clear of the cops.

Actually, didn't Goren have some sort of altercation at a bar too while he was here?

I must say that I do have an issue with the Herald plastering Oshie's mugshot in the paper. Unnecessary. Maybe a little blip in the sport section since people want to know what the suspension is for. It is a pretty sad statement when the Herald and WDAZ have nothing better to report on. Why couldn't the Herald just post a hockey picture of Oshie along with the story? Regarding this site, I think discussion of the incident is fair game since it is a dedicated fan site.

I am guessing that there are some "local celebs" (non UND hockey players) that get in trouble from time to time (i.e DUI's) but we never see their mugshots on the front page.

yeah, overall just a bad case of judgement. I realize kids will be kids.....but when you are a high profile athlete at a given University you need to steer clear of these situations. The problem is you add alcohol into the mix and as many of us posters know including me....guess what goes...your judgement. While there you have it. I am sure TJ woke up and smelled the roses and realized this is not good.

Conduct that is disorderly. :) I am not so sure I would worry all that much about this one game seems about right. The first charge was a minor on premises and that is like a real minor offense and disorderly isn't all that big of a deal either. I think we are making a mole hill out of a mountain.

Isn't it a mountain out of a mole hill? :D

Here is my take for whatever it is worth - After having meet TJ Oshie on a couple of occassions, watching how he gives 120% every time he is on the ice, making the decision to come back and play another year, staying overtime to sign autographs etc... I believe that he is one heck of a good hockey player but even a better person. Sure I am disappointed about the arrest but I do not have a clue as to the circumstances leading up to the arrest.

I wish the very best for TJ as he finishes his Sioux career and will most certainly cheer for him in the NHL.

I don't think many here expect the behavior of angels. At the same time, it doesn't seem an unreasonably high expectation to avoid arrest.

Agreed. As a team leader it is an expectation.

Won't stop me from cheering for him or the team the rest of the way. But if a player deserves praise for their accomplishments, they deserve criticism for their mistakes, on or off the ice. It's only fair.

OK after reading everything in this thread, I must say that I think that people are making way to much out of this. Disorderly Conduct is such a minor thing. I was charged with this as a minor, and it was a charge just to charge me with something. A person threw a party at my house while my parents were out of town, and I got into to it with this person. Not one punch was thrown and it was nothing more then a minor confrontation and because other people thought it might end in a fight they called the cops and we were both charged with D.C. As I said it is no big deal.

I love watching Oshie and I am really wishing I could get a ticket to saturdays game so I can cheer him on.

Go Sioux.

I'm looking for deals on Oshie merchandise (ie. jersey's, puck's, stick's, picture's, whatever.) All you "disappointed" people out there that have any please let me know. I'm buying his stuff at pennies on the dollar. I'm sure you'll have no problems letting your stuff go real cheap, as TJ is nothing more than a worthless hak, and terrible human being. Feel free to PM me. Seriously people get a freakin' life. I find it hard to believe that this bothers anyone that much. If it does, YOU ARE A LOSER, and it is really the least of your problems.

Whats sad is that TJ is a role model to kids in this community - whether people here think he is or not and whether he likes it or not. This is a huge letdown to them.

That's pretty lame statement considering all the work he actually does with the kids in this community. All of the kids I know still think the world of him.

I must say that I do have an issue with the Herald plastering Oshie's mugshot in the paper. Unnecessary. Maybe a little blip in the sport section since people want to know what the suspension is for. It is a pretty sad statement when the Herald and WDAZ have nothing better to report on. Why couldn't the Herald just post a hockey picture of Oshie along with the story? Regarding this site, I think discussion of the incident is fair game since it is a dedicated fan site.

I am guessing that there are some "local celebs" (non UND hockey players) that get in trouble from time to time (i.e DUI's) but we never see their mugshots on the front page.

Your opinion does hold some merit.

But we need to get something straight. We in the public and on this message board tend to laud all the positive things that Sioux hockey players do and seldom turn a critical eye to the way the media inflates the run-of-the-mill ordinary stuff they do on and off the ice. I think we need to understand -- whether right or wrong -- that the media pendulum swings both ways. Why do we tend to be OK with the Herald inflating the fluffy feel-good stuff about the hockey players? And then, why all of a sudden do we come down on the them for delivering a perceived negative message? I know, 'cause we're fans and this our right.

But, I'm seeking a deeper understanding into our demands of the media.

I think whether the mugshot is necessary is debatable. I don't think it really matters. I think the paper has a responsibility to do things the way it wants (within the law) independent of what fans on a Fighting Sioux message board think. We've got to face it, the Sioux hockey players are big celebs in this town, we made them that way. Donning the UND sweater comes with new responsibilities that their nonhockey playing classmates don't have to deal with. Fair or not, those are the facts. We can't put them on a pedestal one minute when the press is good, and then, turn around the next minute and say the hockey players are just like any other Joe Smoe student (and should be treated as such), when the chips are down.

I don't think the paper should coddle the players by running more flattering mugshots. I also don't think the press should pump up their exploits when it's not merited (and I think we all can find examples of cheerleader journalism in the Herald about the UND hockey team). Note to Herald editors and reporters: Leave that kind of behavior to fans like us.

As for whether other prominent officials get their mugs in the paper or not when they get in trouble with the law. I would be willing to bet they would (even for DUI) if the press found out about it. UND's public relations machine sent out a statement about the TJ Oshie incident. Kudos to UND for being forthright and honest. When most of us get in trouble, or get DUIs, I don't think our employers send out press releases on our mishaps, alerting the press.

If the Herald found out, or was tipped off, to a public official or a prominent person, UND athletes included (again, because, WE have made them stars), you can guarantee it would be on Page 1A with a jailbird mug staring right back at you. Public interest is what dictates this, and whether you like it or not, many people who don't frequent this message board but who love or hate Sioux hockey as much, want to see TJ's mug. The media feeds this interest.

Food for though.

That's pretty lame statement considering all the work he actually does with the kids in this community. All of the kids I know still think the world of him.

You seem to miss the point, but from your ranting posts that doesn't suprise me. He has been arrested twice in less than one year. Now for someone with an enabling mentality like yours that might not be a big deal, but when you are a captian of the hockey team, a major representative of the university and community that might be somewhat of a big deal to a few people--Hakstol being one as a suspension was issued. Now does that make Oshie an aweful person--absolutely not, but it can allow for some discussion about personal conduct based on his status within the hockey program, university and community. If this goes over your head, I can draw you a picture.

this is worse, my 18 year old buddy who used my ID here in az to go to a club was pissing in a bush when leaving a friken cop screeched up on a huffy 10 speed and my buddy gave him my ID not even friken thinking or i guess he was so he wouldnt get a minor but then i get a court summons and go in front of a judge to get the damn thing expunged form my record :lol: guess i could have fought it but that woudl have been too much work and money :D make my buddy pay the fine and move on, bastard

Don't these cops realize that if you hold it, you could damage the prostate gland, making it very difficult to get an erection, or even become aroused!

You seem to miss the point, but from your ranting posts that doesn't suprise me. He has been arrested twice in less than one year. Now for someone with an enabling mentality like yours that might not be a big deal, but when you are a captian of the hockey team, a major representative of the university and community that might be somewhat of a big deal to a few people--Hakstol being one as a suspension was issued. Now does that make Oshie an aweful person--absolutely not, but it can allow for some discussion about personal conduct based on his status within the hockey program, university and community. If this goes over your head, I can draw you a picture.

Nice Avatar Oxbow.

Hmmmm.... no wonder we have Saturday night struggles. Apparently the rumorsare true. Not only are you out partying but you are parying with the other team that justbeat you....what a fuckin*g joke...this team obviouslyhasno leadership...as much as I like Oshie, after the incident last year this is a joke. Maybehe will follow Okposo now?

wow, make sure you dont ever cheer for tj again if you think hes that bad of a guy and you want him to be a quitter now. guess i dont understand why some are making tj out to be a murderer or something, i would love to see everyones past records here and i bet we can come up with some funny sht overall and write a funny book. im not saying what tj did was right by any means. he screwed up and will pay for it through media but lets wait and see if these charges may get dropped down the line....tj didnt fight with the unh player, so drop that bullsht as well that some are saying..........

and yeah, partying saturday night really makes sense for losing saturday, the whole team is probably drunk during the games.....what a bunch of losers, they go out and drink after a saturday game, they should be at home locked in their rooms disecting every play of that game played that night, these guys have no dedication.... :lol:

Let me draw you a picture. YOU ARE A LOSER. Get it. I can't believe this would bother you, especially when you probably have no clue as to the details of the situation. Go ahead, keep sticking your head further up your ass, sooner ot later you might find the light of day. Please seek proffessional help, you truly need it.

Don't these cops realize that if you hold it, you could damage the prostate gland, making it very difficult to get an erection, or even become aroused!

totally, that cop must have been short on his quota that month.......

Let me draw you a picture. YOU ARE A LOSER. Get it. I can't believe this would bother you, especially when you probably have no clue as to the details of the situation. Go ahead, keep sticking your head further up your ass, sooner ot later you might find the light of day. Please seek proffessional help, you truly need it.

Nice. :lol: