SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Two UND and UNH

Goon

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope fans are not delusional in thinking that this team is an NCAA contender at this point. They are not. Maybe they would win one, maybe two. But the Frozen Four requires that you put together a streak of wins - something this team has yet been incapable of doing.

Observations based on webcast...

I thought we looked good in the neutral zone and decent in our offensive zone, but our defensive zone coverage and puck poise still needs a lot of work.

Regan should be #1 star; we could easily have rung up 6 and made their late goals meaningless. But we didn't get it done offensively.

I like the chemistry of the new lines; we got consistent pressure from all four lines. Like the faceoff tally; we had possession a lot, which tilts the game in our favor. I like Radke in the lineup, especially if he doesn't take *** penalties, which he didn't tonight.

Disappointing that the tying goal was scored with Oshie,Duncan, Chorney out there.

I expect to see Genoway on Defense for some time now. Lapoint has flashes of brilliance but has been on the ice for a lot of goals allowed. Ditto Marto. Jones hasn't developed. Expect to see that rotation shortening as the season goes on to 4 - Chorney, Bina, Finley, Genoway.

Lammy continues to be solid.

The pieces are in place for a run; what kind of legacy do the guys want to leave? Three of them stayed to win a title - this is as good a chances as we'll see for a while I think.

Observations based on webcast...

I thought we looked good in the neutral zone and decent in our offensive zone, but our defensive zone coverage and puck poise still needs a lot of work.

Regan should be #1 star; we could easily have rung up 6 and made their late goals meaningless. But we didn't get it done offensively.

I like the chemistry of the new lines; we got consistent pressure from all four lines. Like the faceoff tally; we had possession a lot, which tilts the game in our favor. I like Radke in the lineup, especially if he doesn't take *** penalties, which he didn't tonight.

Disappointing that the tying goal was scored with Oshie,Duncan, Chorney out there.

I expect to see Genoway on Defense for some time now. Lapoint has flashes of brilliance but has been on the ice for a lot of goals allowed. Ditto Marto. Jones hasn't developed. Expect to see that rotation shortening as the season goes on to 4 - Chorney, Bina, Finley, Genoway.

Lammy continues to be solid.

The pieces are in place for a run; what kind of legacy do the guys want to leave? Three of them stayed to win a title - this is as good a chances as we'll see for a while I think.

How bad do they want it? that seems to be the question. So far, I'd say this team has no killer instinct at all.

Sioux drop to #8 in the current Pairwise so right in the middle of the pack there. We will put together a streak of wins by the end of the season and be in good shape for the playoffs. I am glad that we are not playing our best hockey now. We are not playing that bad, not great, which leaves room for improvement. The season is still young and a lot of games left to play. I have seen many teams go with 1 or 2 losses late into the season, and only to see them stumble come playoff time. I hope other teams start thinking we are not that good. We will be fine people. Just relax a little bit. We have played some very good teams this year which will help us in the end.

And I'm tired of the fans that whine about losing title hopes after a loss in December.

Has this team been disappointing at times this year? Yes.

Have they shown signs of being a great team this year? Absolutely.

The past few years the Sioux have really turned it on in Jan/Feb and made the F4. Now, I'm not saying that they are guaranteed to do that again this year, but they certainly have the talent to do it (and their schedule gets easier in the next month).

If the season ended today, the Sioux would easily be in the NCAA's despite their "disappointing" season thus far. And that's all it takes to have a chance at the big title.

I expect the Sioux to contend for both the national title AND the regular season title every year. A first half cruise followed by a furious battle to be a bride's maid is not hanging any banners-- which IS the goal of this team year-in year-out. Certainly there's a lot of season left. There's also been a lot of season. And, the Sioux are playing themselves towards the bubble yet again.

The loss is not the main issue. It's the late game collapse at home. But, in the end, we all love the Sioux and this annoying little breakdown ain't gonna change that. ;)

taz

Hak got out coached tonight

I wouldn't blame Hakstol for this team's inability to win tonight and earn a home sweep. The coaching staff has been making some changes to the lines to try and get more offensive consistency (which has been lacking this year). The changes worked for us last night because the Sioux worked hard on offense and played solid defense on the other end. It didn't do us any good tonight because we were careless on the defensive end. We also seemed to lose our composure and poise after UNH tied it in the third period. The players have to execute the gameplan; otherwise it doesn't matter how brilliant it is. The guys didn't finish what they started tonight and when you don't play for 60 minutes against teams like UNH and most of the teams in our league, you are going to lose. Period.

OEKTB, its really easy to say that a team can't win a national championship. because very few teams win it each year, specifically one team. most of us know a lot about hockey and we see flashes of brilliance where no team in the country can stop us.

as a sioux fan, my hope is that the team continues to get better and better. learning each weekend what needs to be improved. i dont think thats delusional

i could go on, but im tired.

OEKTB, its really easy to say that a team can't win a national championship. because very few teams win it each year, specifically one team. most of us know a lot about hockey and we see flashes of brilliance where no team in the country can stop us.

as a sioux fan, my hope is that the team continues to get better and better. learning each weekend what needs to be improved. i dont think thats delusional

The point that people are trying to make is that the second half of the season is now underway (the playoffs are just around the corner) and we are still "finding ourselves" as a team. We are running out of time to "find ourselves". We have a bunch of league games coming up with 4 points at stake every weekend. We have to start being more consistent game in and game out. If we can do that, we can still make a run at a top three finish in the league.

I'm not saying they can't. In fact, I had them pegged at season's beginning to be a real contender, and I still feel that they have the personnel, both on the ice and in the coaching staff, to get it done.

However, most national champions in hockey history play consistently throughout the season. They don't coast through 2/3 of the season, and then count on some miraculous "run" at the end to get them there.

Of all the teams in Hak's era, this one is the best on paper. Why they can not perform is a major concern.

The game really turned on JPL's diving penalty. I didn't see it. Was it a legitimate call? It appeared that Adam had called the penalty on them a fair bit before he blew the puck dead for ours. (We had carried the puck almost all the way down the ice.)

If it was a dive it should have been called and it likely didn't help JPL's frame of mind.

Quick 2 cents--the D corps overall have been more than disappointing with Chorney leading that pack ;) What was supposed to be this team's strenghth is now it's weakness. Offense will be inconsistant from game to game, but please explain to me how Chorney and the rest of the D crew can look so aweful at times?? If JPL doesn't play as well as he has so far this team is 6-10-1 at best.

I'm not saying they can't. In fact, I had them pegged at season's beginning to be a real contender, and I still feel that they have the personnel, both on the ice and in the coaching staff, to get it done.

However, most national champions in hockey history play consistently throughout the season. They don't coast through 2/3 of the season, and then count on some miraculous "run" at the end to get them there.

Of all the teams in Hak's era, this one is the best on paper. Why they can not perform is a major concern.

i agree 94%, i wouldn't say that they "can't" perform, though. you can't overlook the times when the sioux dominated play. this game was lost in what 4 minutes. i think the boys (or a few of them) need to work on defensive zone play.

The game really turned on JPL's diving penalty. I didn't see it. Was it a legitimate call? It appeared that Adam had called the penalty on them a fair bit before he blew the puck dead for ours. (We had carried the puck almost all the way down the ice.)

If it was a dive it should have been called and it likely didn't help JPL's frame of mind.

You could bet this one was coming. I wish we had another legit goalie on team. What Phils needs is a seat on the Bench but we can't afford to do it...

The mental preparation of this team on Saturday nights sucks.

!@#!$ 3rd period. wow. chorney had a hell of a bad weekend i think and night tonight. tough team loss when you have them up by 2 late. oh well. what can you do. nat a damn thing. get ready for scsu and gets some wcha points and ghet a damn sweep. go sioux

Give up the tying goal with 3 pre-season All-Americans on the ice :D I know it is "early" and "still December" but com'n ;)

What was worse is what happened after the tying goal. We just lost all momentum and poise and we gave up two more goals to ice another home split. ;) Our banner-hanging teams from the 1990's would have won this game, either in regulation or in overtime. But I guess it isn't the 1990's anymore. :D