SiouxSports.com Forum

Okposo leaves the Gophers

Siouxpremacy

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has already been posted, but...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/12692637.html

Woah.

Snow absolutely rips into Lucia there.

Thats why Johnson and others left with some having decided not to come at all. It has been pretty obvious for the last few years - to everyone except the elitest goph fan and Mr. Ego behind the bench that is.

On a side note - where do you think the Gophs will play their WCHA first round playoffs? I'm thinking Denver.

WCHA solidarity. Andy Murray blasted our program for failing to develop Brady. The majority of the NHLers are products of the CHL and are border line illiterate. Nice guys, but not exactly winning any spelling contests. The franchises are run by these guys, who don't like the fact that the kids have to concentrate on things other than hockey. They tolerate the college programs only with the hope that the players will develop without the clubs having to pay them.

As much as I blast the Gophers and old Delta Don, you can not question the program, tradition or coach. The Gophers and Don Lucia are top tier. Yes, Johnson and Kessel left after one year, yes KO is leaving now, yes Chucko is looking like an NHL bust, but Thomas Vanek had 40+ goals last year in the show. Leopold has logged regular ice time for 6 years, Martin logs a regular shift, Ballard too.

Question: Is this the NHL's way to save the Great One some face for his wasted #1 pick on Wheeler...get the whole NHL to think that the Gopher program is terrible at develping players so Wayne can not be criticized?

If Wayne Gretzky, who is not only the greatest hockey player of all-time, but also the crown prince of Canada and the president of hockey canada, had drafted or was even paying attention to a player on my team, I would make sure they developed. Fortunately for us, the only players from UND that hockey canada has paid attention to in the past decade are Zajac and Toews, who I think have proven that they were well developed at UND!

Wow! All I can say is wow! This situation could get ugly, or in this case uglier. I can't believe that an NHL GM would blast a coach and program like that. I think everyone loses in this situation in the short term. Okposo is a puke for bailing on his teammates, but in the long run he will probably be alright. The Islanders show a lack of class for encouraging him to leave and a total lack of class for blasting a program that is one of the standard bearers in College Hockey and a coach who has had a pretty good track record over the years. The Gophers and coaching staff come out looking bad in this and it could certainly have a negative affect on recruiting as it is the nature of the business that a recruit will be asked by opposing coaches and recruiters if they are confident that going to Minnesota will be the best move for a kid who wants to play in the NHL. The whole thing stinks.

Very well said. I love to cheer against the Gophers but that is because they do have a successful program much like UND's. By the way, how many Stanley Cups have the Islanders won in the last 10 years - have they even made the playoffs?:D???

Patrick, Murray, Baron, Commodore, Blake, Parise, Zajac, Toews, Jones, Greene, Stafford, Belfour, Casey

Broten, Broten, Broten, Erickson, Millen, Rasmussen, Hendrickson, Vanek, Leopold, Martin, Ballard, Johnson, Kessel

Carle, Stastny...oh yeah Heatley!!!!

I don't think the WCHA is failing to develop players

How Garth Snow got off of Don Lucia'a and Joel "no vertebrae" Maturi's Christmas card lists ....

New York Islanders General Manager Garth Snow on Thursday criticized Don Lucia's coaching, saying that was the reason sophomore Kyle Okposo is leaving the Gophers hockey program and negotiating a contract with the Islanders.

"Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program there," Snow said in a telephone interview. "They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that." ....

"It's well-known in hockey circles that the situation for college players is to develop and get better," Snow said. "And quite frankly, it's a big responsibility for a college coach -- a program -- to handle these kids.

"Whether it was Kyle or another player, until things change in that program we'd probably make the same decision. There should be a coach there that looks in the mirror." ....

"I don't think we'd be at this point if he was being coached properly," Snow said.

One last tidbit: This had nothing to do with the Simon suspension.

Snow also refuted that the Islanders' decision to bring Okposo into the system now had anything to do with Chris Simon's NHL-record 30-game suspension, handed down Wednesday.

"We had our meetings well before that transpired," Snow said. "If that incident hadn't happened, we'd probably still be at the same decision."

Quote yzerman19: As much as I blast the Gophers and old Delta Don, you can not question the program, tradition or coach. The Gophers and Don Lucia are top tier.

I would agree with this quote, the program is top tier.

This blast on Lucia may have a lot of implications.

How do you suppose a young recruit will look at their program now with this kind of press, correct or not, especially compared to great press comments about UND and its coaches this past year?

This could really be harmful to the Gophs for a while......

Question: Is this the NHL's way to save the Great One some face for his wasted #1 pick on Wheeler...get the whole NHL to think that the Gopher program is terrible at develping players so Wayne can not be criticized?

The odds of a great conspiracy of that nature are roughly the same as GF's Dynamic Duo (Kauker and his pal "Gretzky") skating a regular shift at defense for Garth Snow's Islanders while using their favorite Subway sandwiches as sticks.

I just posted on USCHO that perception becomes reality.

You could maybe write off Eric Johnson or Kyle Okposo as disgruntled, but an NHL GM on the record is a problem.

... particularly when the GM played US college hockey.

Let's not lose sight that Lucia threw the first punch here, either, with his public criticism of the Isles. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the reporter got that quote from Snow by reading Donnie's words first.

i don't like the goofers or lucia-pet any more than the next sioux fan, but that article was bulls#@t. Snow should have kept his mouth shut, because what was done was done. KO was already gone, no need to rub the salt in the wounds. i guess the organization felt they needed to justify why they sniped a kid in the middle of his season. i don't know what lucia is doing differently in the past two months, but they should have signed him before the season if they weren't happy with his progress. KO is still the guy who should be taking most the blalme, but snows comments are purely bush league. i just don't get it, how a gm of a professional team would stoop to making those comments after the deal is done. i hope this wont affect recruiting top players to come to the wcha, we already have enough problems with the officiating. on the flip side, looks like ko and snow are two peas in a pod :D they deserve each other.

Any reference to Gretzky and the Kauker makes me smile :D I can't believe those guys are still around. I remember being little and those guys hanging around Purpur (then it was City Arena) for Pee Wee games and Apollo Park for little league. My mom used to worry about my safety around them until she realized how harmless they were.

Anyone who doesn't think that Parise and Toews are the real deal NHL style is a moron. Typical Gopher arrogance. The three highest scoring former WCHA players in the show right now: Heatley, Stastny and Parise.

How on earth can anyone believe that we can't recruit. It must be tongue in cheek. I believe there was a thread that noted that without pro losses, we would've fielded a team in 2005 that would've had Parise, Toews, Zajac, Stafford, Murray, Oshie, Duncan, Greene, Smaby, Chorney

Anyone who doesn't think that Parise and Toews are the real deal NHL style is a moron. Typical Gopher arrogance. The three highest scoring former WCHA players in the show right now: Heatley, Stastny and Parise.

How on earth can anyone believe that we can't recruit. It must be tongue in cheek. I believe there was a thread that noted that without pro losses, we would've fielded a team in 2005 that would've had Parise, Toews, Zajac, Stafford, Murray, Oshie, Duncan, Greene, Smaby, Chorney

I'm hoping, but he hasn't said so when I questioned it.

Thats why Johnson and others left with some having decided not to come at all. It has been pretty obvious for the last few years - to everyone except the elitest goph fan and Mr. Ego behind the bench that is.

On a side note - where do you think the Gophs will play their WCHA first round playoffs? I'm thinking Denver.

You never know, this might be a come together type situation with the rest of the team or they might respond negatively. It wouldn't surprise me to see the rest of the guys pick it up as sort of a "we don't need you anyway" statement to Okposo. I guess time will tell. There is still plenty of talent on that team as Hakstol said on the coaches show, so it will be a test of Lucia's ability to bring this team together after some negative things have happened. The only thing I will say is that you don't win WCHA Championships by being a bad coach.

The more that i've thought about this, you can't blame Okposo. Unless you really have your sights set low, your dream is not to play college hockey.

I've got great coworkers and a great team that I am a part of at work, but if I got a call from somewhere else offering me my dream job at a compensation rate that could take care of my entire family, possibly forever if I work hard and am careful with my money, I'd be gone that minute.

Yes, it is unfortunate, but loyalty doesn't pay the bills. The bush league comments are in poor taste. KO should've said, "It has been an honor to play for the Golden Gophers this past year and a half. After much thought, I have decided that it is the right time for me to move on and pursue my dream of an NHL career. I wish my teammates, friends, coaches and the Gopher program the best of luck for the rest of the season, and I apologize to those who feel that I am letting them down." Garth Snow should've said, "We are happy to have KO on our roster, we look forward to continuing advancing his development."

Can't fault a kid for chasing his dream and getting rich in the process. "Want loyalty? Get a dog." - Gordon Gecko

Here is another funny reply from the convo on another board............

to bad nd cant recruit good enough players. they cant leave for the nhl cause there not good enough. if gophers didnt have players leaving for the nhl nd would be licking there jock straps.

:D

He must be talking about Notre Dame. ???

While most Sioux fans on here have been very level headed and can see this simply for what it is, Snow trying to justify snatching a kid out of college in the middile of the season, I'm not surprised that you truly believe there is something to what he is saying. If Snow really believed Lucia is a bad coach then he would've signed Okposo last summer when he was pretty much begging him for a contract. It's pretty tough to coach a kid and help him improve when his heart isn't into it which has been very obvious with Okposo from the start of this year. The only reason he was on the Gophers is because Snow wouldn't sign him and now a few months later Lucia can't coach? It just doesn't add up. A five year old is smart enough to see through Snow's bullsh!t on this, why aren't you?

While most Sioux fans on here have been very level headed and can see this simply for what it is, Snow trying to justify snatching a kid out of college in the middile of the season, I'm not surprised that you truly believe there is something to what he is saying. If Snow really believed Lucia is a bad coach then he would've signed Okposo last summer when he was pretty much begging him for a contract. It's pretty tough to coach a kid and help him improve when his heart isn't into it which has been very obvious with Okposo from the start of this year. The only reason he was on the Gophers is because Snow wouldn't sign him and now a few months later Lucia can't coach? It just doesn't add up. A five year old is smart enough to see through Snow's bullsh!t on this, why aren't you?

The other thing people seem to be overlooking is that Gophers really did lose a lot over the summer, and it's not surprising at all that they have the record they do. When you have the number of new guys playing blue line as the Gophers had, you have to expect mistakes and losses. The loss of Stoa took away a lot too, not just offensively, but in leadership. I actually think the Gophers have done pretty good compared to all the new guys on the ice. Hard to blame Lucia for their record thus far. Snow's comment was completely unproffessional. For someone who never had a great professional career, should we now say that Maine did a terrible job in developing him?