SiouxSports.com Forum

Okposo leaves the Gophers

Siouxpremacy

Speaking of character:

"We're extremely excited about the possibility of Kyle joining our organization soon," general manager Garth Snow said. "He's a great talent, one of the most exciting prospects in the game. Kyle has the dedication and character we want for our franchise."

Oh really? Hopefully he's a bit more dedicated and shows more character with the Islanders than he did with the Gophers.

"While I'm disappointed Kyle is leaving at this point of the season, his dream has been to play pro hockey," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. "It is unfortunate that the Islanders put him in a very difficult position. I think our team has made strides the last few weeks, and I'm looking forward to the second half of the season."

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never question if he wanted to go last year, he did. They offered him a minor league contract and he declined. The concern for all of College Hockey is that a GM calls a kid in the middle of his season, not from the AHL squad, his school and offers the kid a better deal than he did 4 months ago. If it was Oshie we were talking about, I think many of you would be less smug about him not enjoying UND. I think all of us would agree it's easier to play hockey professionally than it is to take a full course load and play in college. My point is only that this is just the tip, if a kid comes back, I think he should have to play the whole year before he has contact with the team that has his rights.

first off, i agree that this sucks for the gophers, and for college hockey. secondly, im pretty sure that oshie was offered a rookie max deal, not some minor league crap. and lastly, i would disagree that nhl is easier than college. college is not hard...especially the classes that most hockey players take. the nhl is a grind. there is way more pressure to perform in the nhl. you mess up and you get moved down.

first off, i agree that this sucks for the gophers, and for college hockey. secondly, im pretty sure that oshie was offered a rookie max deal, not some minor league crap. and lastly, i would disagree that nhl is easier than college. college is not hard...especially the classes that most hockey players take. the nhl is a grind. there is way more pressure to perform in the nhl. you mess up and you get moved down.

Not true.......

fine, I am sure no players from UND will ever be tempted to going pro early. and, I am sure that now it has happened once, it will never happen again. Of course, if it works out well for Motherwell, and Okposo, I am sure no other family friend will try to talk any other kid into doing it. Heck, Maybe next year und will actually have aplayer good enough for the wjc.

happy, your name doesn't fit your tone :D i'd be pissed if i were a goofer fan too, but don't take it out on us. and believe me, we do have players good enough for the wjc, lapoint could be on that squad, and the others happen to be canadian, which is a much tougher squad to make, as i believe toews was the first college canadian in a while on that squad. i think frattin and malone both could challenge for a spot on the us squad.

I know we are all ok with a star for the gophers leaving, but on the flip side this might not be a bad move for him to leave. I have heard some rumors on GPL and the fan forum at USCHO that kyle is arogant and not a very good locker room guy. Maybe him leaving will help bring them closer together. I think the next couple of series for them will tell us what he really meant to that team

So Toews and Parise should have went to UM? The truth is if you recruit talent you risk the loss of it.

Timing is everything. If I remember right these two let the UND staff know quite early that they were not coming back.

If I remember also correctly there have been several gophers who announced very late in the summer that they were going pro.

Yes, if you recruit NHL talent you will only get a cople of years out of them. UND has been doing that since I went to school there. T. Murray, M. Volcan, M. Chorney....

I guess the goal is to recruit NHL-talented players who don't leave you in a lurch, declaring pro in September, or worse December.

Timing is everything. If I remember right these two let the UND staff know quite early that they were not coming back.

If I remember also correctly there have been several gophers who announced very late in the summer that they were going pro.

Yes, if you recruit NHL talent you will only get a cople of years out of them. UND has been doing that since I went to school there. T. Murray, M. Volcan, M. Chorney....

I guess the goal is to recruit NHL-talented players who don't leave you in a lurch, declaring pro in September, or worse December.

FYI - Volcan played 1 year, Murray 2, Chorney 3

So Toews and Parise should have went to UM? The truth is if you recruit talent you risk the loss of it.

thats a pretty obvious statement. every top d-1 team goes through losing top talent, but not having a top tier player bail and quit halfway through a season

:D

oshie was offered a top deal and a spot playing on a top st louis line in the NHL. he turned it down. just face it. he didnt quit halfway through a season he commited to come back for.

The person I talked to would differ with you, and he has an office in the Scottrade Center, in St. Louis........I'll go with what he said.

The person I talked to would differ with you, and he has an office in the Scottrade Center, in St. Louis........I'll go with what he said.

good for you, i not gona get in a pissing match about he said/she said, go to GPL for that s&!t. you can think what you want and thats cool. hopefully KO wont bail on Team USA halfway through the tourney!

Friend or no friend, I have a hard time believing that he would be discussing terms of a potential player's contract with you.

suthernboy I'm goning to have to go with the TRIOUXP on this one---- DO YOU HAVE A LINK? CAN YOU NAME YOUR SOURCE? IF YOU CAN'T THEN IT MUST BE A RUMOR-- THAT WOULD MAKE YOU A RUMOR MONGERER!! THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE A RUMOR STARTER!

suthernboy I'm goning to have to go with the TRIOUXP on this one---- DO YOU HAVE A LINK? CAN YOU NAME YOUR SOURCE? IF YOU CAN'T THEN IT MUST BE A RUMOR-- THAT WOULD MAKE YOU A RUMOR MONGERER!! THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE A RUMOR STARTER!

Yeah, if it was no big deal for your "friend" to disclose those details to you, then it should be no big deal for you to do us the same favor, right? Hey, aren't you the same guy that said Oshie would be signing after development camp? I think you are. My guess is you really don't know jack s&!t. Maybe we could get siouxforeverbaby to go ask TJ himsslef, we all know from past experiences with this stuff that she's not afraid to go ask. :D

Discussing the terms of a players contract during negotiations would never happen. Either way, it doesn't matter.

As for WJC talent...I seem to recall a few Sioux on that team last year...Oh yeah, Taylor Chorney was captain wasn't he, and oh yeah, Zach Parise was the first American to be tourney MVP since, well, EVER.

Tough loss for the Gophs. They don't have anyone who can play physical down low without KO and Stoa