SiouxSports.com Forum

Okposo leaves the Gophers

Siouxpremacy

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is worthy of it's own thread. When is the last time a healthy, academically and mentally sound player left school in the middle of the season for the NHL? When will the gophers and lucia put their spin on this one? Like I've seen mentioned elsewhere, how can Okposo look his 3 UMN-TC teammates in the eye in the World Junior locker room?:D Kyle will forever be known as "the guy who walked out on his team in the middle of the season". Too bad, I used to admire him, even as a gopher.

i really liked kyles game but he is having a down year to his standards and the isles and himself probably said enough with it and agreed to leave. hopefully gopher fans will realize kyle quit on his team and its not all the islanders fault. he bailed, bottom line. the crazy thing is he will have 3 usa teammates for the next 3 weeks now considered former gopher teammates :D interesting situation.

why did somebody have to make this thread? everyone has been talking about this in the college hockey talk thread all morning. and it just makes us all look like spiteful fans.

When's the last time things like:

"Sucks for them"

or

"I liked him, even if he was a gopher"

were considered "spiteful?"

Seriously, I don't like the Gophers. I wish we'd always finish ahead of them in the standings. HOWEVER, I'd rather side with the Gophers than side with Major Juniors or side with poaching NHL GMs who can't wait until season's end.

"Sucks for them"

or

Seriously, I don't like the Gophers. I wish we'd always finish ahead of them in the standings. HOWEVER, I'd rather side with the Gophers than side with Major Juniors or side with poaching NHL GMs who can't wait until season's end.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :angry::ohmy:???:D

why did somebody have to make this thread? everyone has been talking about this in the college hockey talk thread all morning. and it just makes us all look like spiteful fans.

I thought it was worthy of its own thread due to the talent level of Kyle and the timing of it. I put a link to the story for people to read and didn't make any spiteful comments. If you think that it is spiteful starting a thread about one of the top college hockey news stories, then you should get some thicker skin.

"Sucks for them"

or

I didn't explain myself very well. I meant that making a new thread with a big exclamation point would probably lead to a lot of gloating. I wasn't saying that discussing it was spiteful, I was just pointing out that theres already a discussion on going about this topic in the other thread. and its a nice thoughtful discussion, btw.

and in retrospect i was overreacting. happy festivus and chrismahanukwanzakuh!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :angry::ohmy:???:D

How can you not feel the love in that?

However, I still say ....

My observation: He seemed to get a lot of "attention" (code word for WCHA sanctioned hooking, holding, and interference) from other teams this year.

My assumption: He could either fight through it or go play in a league where they've cleaned it up and he gets paid. Tough choice ....

My analysis: The WCHA's quest for league parity has made it a parody of a league.

My solution: Get the no-talent clutch-and-grab hacks, who specialize not in controlling pucks but interfering with those who can, off the backs of the truely talented players (like Vanek, Parise, Kessel, Toews, Oshie, Duncan). Start calling this league like real men, like professionals, like the National Hockey League.

I believe I just called Bruce McLeod, and his staff, and his officials, little boys and girls because adults do what's right and best even if it's not popular.

I didn't explain myself very well. I meant that making a new thread with a big exclamation point would probably lead to a lot of gloating. I wasn't saying that discussing it was spiteful, I was just pointing out that theres already a discussion on going about this topic in the other thread. and its a nice thoughtful discussion, btw.

Understood. Happy Ramahanakwanzmas!!

Be carefull to enjoy anothers misery. This isn't a day to rejoice, it's a terrible day for college hockey fans, "Goofer" fan or Gopher fan. It's only a matter of time before one of your beloved boys get's there arm twisted like Kyle did. :D

Be carefull to enjoy anothers misery. This isn't a day to rejoice, it's a terrible day for college hockey fans, "Goofer" fan or Gopher fan. It's only a matter of time before one of your beloved boys get's there arm twisted like Kyle did. :D

im sure they didnt have to twist kyles arm that hard, sorry but kyle bailed on your team either way you look at it mid season

Sucks for all WCHA fans. I like to be the best by beating the best. :D

I agree. In a way I'd rather have taken a beating at the hands of a better MN roster than to beat them with an even more depleted roster. I want to know we can beat the best, and it doesn't allow you to hide your own weaknesses.

Be carefull to enjoy anothers misery. This isn't a day to rejoice, it's a terrible day for college hockey fans, "Goofer" fan or Gopher fan. It's only a matter of time before one of your beloved boys get's there arm twisted like Kyle did. ???

True, it very well could come back to UND or another program. Hopefully not for a long time, though. I think it's been many years since a college player did this. Hopefully many more.

That said, I'm guessing the Islanders didn't twist his arm all the hard after reading the story in the PP last week. Okposo didn't seem to be enjoying his college experience all that much and it was widely rumored he really wanted to go last summer.

nobody is really enjoying your misery. i'm glad you won't have okposo for the sioux games against minny, thats about the extent of it.

It pains me to admit it about a Goof player but I thought he was one of the best players on the ice for the recent series, so it will be interesting to hear him explain why he would chose to bail on his team half way through the season. Perhaps he was somewhat skipping out on the academics and realized that the WJHC was only going to cause him to be further behind? I would say that pretty much puts the nail in their coffin for this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225542&hubname=nhl

I don't think anyone is reveling in the Goofs 'misery'! As stated before we want to beat the best! This isn't good for college hockey. IMHO, I don't think college athletes should be allowed to turn pro until the school year, not just their season, is over!

It pains me to admit it about a Goof player but I thought he was one of the best players on the ice for the recent series, so it will be interesting to hear him explain why he would chose to bail on his team half way through the season. Perhaps he was somewhat skipping out on the academics and realized that the WJHC was only going to cause he to be further behind? I would say that pretty much puts the nail in their coffin for this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225542&hubname=nhl

At first when I heard this I thought after the Chris Simon incident that the Islanders would be bringing him straight to the NHL - and that's what Okposo wanted, however after reading the TSN story he may play in the AHL or even the WHL (Canadian juniors). That, to me, says he just wanted out of Minnesota.

Step 1: Receive written authorizations forms 1934 and 385B from the tread police.

Step 2: Mandatory 7 day cooling off period.

Step 3: Meeting of the siouxsports.com executive board.

Step 4: Wait for final authorization form 1259A.

Step 5: Wait 2 days for possible presidential override.

Then and only then may you start a thread that others may find interesting... :D

I don't think anyone is reveling in the Goofs 'misery'! As stated before we want to beat the best! This isn't good for college hockey. IMHO, I don't think college athletes should be allowed to turn pro until the school year, not just their season, is over!

disagree on when they can leave. i admit they shouldnt leave mid season but it doesnt happen often. sometimes they leave to the ohl or whl like grieco did but this is okposo. its a HUGE deal as he was the 5th overall pick in the draft and a hell of a player for minnesota.

i have no problem with a kid leaving after the season ends for that team. if they are going to leave anyways that enables them to get a few games under their belt in the AHL or NHL or maybe if they are good enough to be able to make a playoff roster. the nhl has such different rules than any other pro sport. it starts with the draft and then the nhl teams having rights to players while in juniors or college. sucks for UMtc and im assuming kyle isnt that popular anymore with many many gophers fans.