SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Denver

Siouxdonyms

I find it so much harder to watch and critique when watching on tv, so I'll make this comment. I thought LaPoint and Finley have been two of our best defensive defensemen this year. Chorney has been somewhere in the middle. They didn't stand out in a bad way tonight when watching, but like I said, it's harder to critique when sitting in the living room. We just can't score consistently. We should never get shut out...even on an off night.

Split up Duncs and Osh to see what happens.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a crazy thought.

Denver is the best team in the league. Might win it. Maybe a National Championship.

We just lost to them 1-0?

These two teams could be playing for a national championship later this year (again) and we might split with them....early in the season. (later will be domination :D )

I am not yet worried. If we split next weekend I am worried as Minnesota is a bottom-tier team right now. But anything is bound to happen in a rival game!

If UND sweeps, look for that to be the start of the upswing.

Sat. nite they will put on the black jerseys..................AND WIN!!!!!

They may very well come out with the nastiness and grit needed to get a win tomorrow. But, given their poor WCHA record so far, it won't mean much, until they can learn to do that consistently!

With 11 NHL picks on this team, could there possibly be an ego problem for the team? I think Watkins mentioned in a press conferance this week, that the team needs to work on chemistry both on and off the ice. The "off" part suggests to me possible personal conflicts? Wasn't there a scuffle in practice prior to the UMD series? I don't know, maybe I'm way off here...;)?

One thought that I had while watching tonight was that this team plays like they think they have a ton of talent and that will get them by. Drop passes (to no one), toe drags (in traffic)...they look as if they think they can just turn it on at any time.

Unfortunately tonight they couldn't accomplish simple things like effectively moving the puck into Denver's zone or even figure out how to space themselves on the few rushes they did get.

What's the point of having two guys charge out of the zone along the boards with the trailer having the puck..and never passing? The guy in front has to slam on the brakes to prevent offsides and the trailer just plows into him with the puck. It happened multiple times tonight in Denver. That's just poor play.

Well, I don't think it was quite as bad as you are all making it out to be. They looked a little tired in the 3rd period...like they usually do in the Colorado road trips. With all the line change ups I can imagine it may take some time to get things clicking. I think Genoway makes a difference on the team, we were with out him for the last 2 games. Hopefully he will be back soon. Giving up one goal is not bad, we need to score some on the other end. I thought they looked better tonight than they did last Sat night at home against Duluth, they at least were connecting on passes tonight.

Well, I don't think it was quite as bad as you are all making it out to be. They looked a little tired in the 3rd period...like they usually do in the Colorado road trips. With all the line change ups I can imagine it may take some time to get things clicking. I think Genoway makes a difference on the team, we were with out him for the last 2 games. Hopefully he will be back soon. Giving up one goal is not bad, we need to score some on the other end. I thought they looked better tonight than they did last Sat night at home against Duluth, they at least were connecting on passes tonight.

Only problem is... when you blow it at home prior to the DU weekend, then you need to make up ground, which they have already failed to do, again.

Here is a crazy thought.

Denver is the best team in the league. Might win it. Maybe a National Championship.

We just lost to them 1-0?

These two teams could be playing for a national championship later this year (again) and we might split with them....early in the season. (later will be domination :D )

I am not yet worried. If we split next weekend I am worried as Minnesota is a bottom-tier team right now. But anything is bound to happen in a rival game!

If UND sweeps, look for that to be the start of the upswing.

I think Colorado College might be a little bit better (more experienced and very good up front), but I think it's early to start annointing anyone anything. The season is a grind. There is still time for both UND and UMTC to turn it around and make a race of it. We'll find out next week which one is ready to start swimming and which one will keep sinking.

Great comment about Genoway. They miss him terribly. He is a playmaker on offense and they need that NOW. Also ANYONE instead of Finley on the PP. There is 0 justification for him being out there.

Just got back from being at the game.....and we'll the sioux just look boring! They played pretty good defense, and Lammy played awsome and much improved from last weekend othwerise this game would have been 3-0 after the 1st. But no OFFESNE!

Your not going to win games with just 12 shots in 2 periods of play. And in reality, they had maybe 4 or 5 good scoring chances, but failed to find the net. Simply Denver is an awswome team to watch. Very very fast, crisp passing and fun to watch play, something our sioux fans expect out of our own players.

My expectations were pretty high for the team early in the season with the ranking and all, but it's becoming painfully clear that this team has yet to come together. They were simply lost without Oshie in the game, and I wonder if in the years past, we rely just too much on 1 player.

Food for thought, but I hope the team comes back and plays well tomorrow.

Even as a DU fan, I think you are selling your boys a little short. UND skates very well, but I think you are missing Genoway's contribution, which is huge, especially in transition, which UND loves to do.

Tonight was a typical mid-season WCHA defensive game between a couple of very good hockey teams and good goalies in mid-season form. Both teams had chances to convert.

UND played its typical aggressive, attacking forecheck, and Denver compensated for it by matching its speed line of Rugesegger, Rhakshani and Gifford against Oshie, Duncan and VV, with tight gaps. The Pios won the game in the face off circle and in the shot blocking, going to a 1-2-2 setup late in the game as the Sioux were looking to overload and create a mismatch.

I expect Hak will try to spread DU out tommorow, and try to use thier size in the corners to win battles down low.

Gwoz is going to counter that with a more counter-attack style, making the Sioux D carry the puck and trying to force turnovers.

Should be another good game.

I will say it. The season is officially over.

Wow.

Does this mean we can start up the threads entitled:

PLAY WALSKI!

FIRE HAKSTOL!

The Atmosphere in the REA sucks!

PLAY SNIDER!

What else...

Seriously... We've had worse starts than this and still done fine.

We haven't played great. Tonight we played REALLY stupid hockey and we still only gave up one goal.

We'll be fine. McNaughton may not be in reach but I'd rather get #8 than the McNaughton or even the Broadmoor.

Even as a DU fan, I think you are selling your boys a little short. UND skates very well, but I think you are missing Genoway's contribution, which is huge, especially in transition, which UND loves to do.

Tonight was a typical mid-season WCHA defensive game between a couple of very good hockey teams and good goalies in mid-season form. Both teams had chances to convert.

UND played its typical aggressive, attacking forecheck, and Denver compensated for it by matching its speed line of Rugesegger, Rhakshani and Gifford against Oshie, Duncan and VV, with tight gaps. The Pios won the game in the face off circle and in the shot blocking, going to a 1-2-2 setup late in the game as the Sioux were looking to overload and create a mismatch.

I expect Hak will try to spread DU out tommorow, and try to use thier size in the corners to win battles down low.

Gwoz is going to counter that with a more counter-attack style, making the Sioux D carry the puck and trying to force turnovers.

Should be another good game.

Nice post.

Very classy. :D

Don't forget that, like we did with Elliot of UW, we're counting the days until we can count on a DU team without the nightmare that is Mannino. That guy's been haunting us for 4 years now.

Thanks, Redwing and Puck Swami. I'm usually a lurker on these boards, and have been a diehard fan for 30 years, but I get so frustrated with the comments about how we suck we after losing a 1-0 road game to a very good team (and I despise the midget, too). I know the team has been up and down right now, and we certainly don't know everything that that's happening with "team chemistry".

I want to put #8 on my old folks' jacket as much as anyone. I am very pissed at losing tonight. I love reading these boards, but I get more pissed at the pissing and moaning here (did I use the word "pissed" enough there?) than anything else. Show some f'ing support and quit the "Al Gore says the Sky is Falling and we're all gonna die" theme.

Drinking and tired in Michigan, Blast away.

I want to put #8 on my old folks' jacket as much as anyone. Show some f'ing support and quit the "Al Gore says the Sky is Falling and we're all gonna die" theme.

First off don't banners go in the rafters? :D

The Sky is Falling threads were done in Jest meant as a joke and if don't like them; you probably don't want read them, a spoof. It's was done as a joke. It is called theraphy

Edited by Goon