SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Denver

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some early season struggles for the perennial(well, at least the very recent history) WCHA favorites, no matter what tomorrow's game brings for either team, this is setting up to be a great series next weekend. I realize that the Sioux need to take it a game at a time as do the Gophers. I will be making my first trip to Grand Forks next weekend and I hope to meet many of the Sioux faithful. Here is to a great weekend of college hockey! Sorry, I don't mean to look past this Saturday's games for either team as the are VERY important.

urgency:

- the state of being urgent; an earnest and insistent necessity

- pressing importance requiring speedy action

- an urgent situation calling for prompt action

- importunity: insistent solicitation and entreaty

I had to look the word up because I forgot what it means; I haven't seen it in action recently. :D

Well, I don't think it was quite as bad as you are all making it out to be. They looked a little tired in the 3rd period...like they usually do in the Colorado road trips. With all the line change ups I can imagine it may take some time to get things clicking. I think Genoway makes a difference on the team, we were with out him for the last 2 games. Hopefully he will be back soon. Giving up one goal is not bad, we need to score some on the other end. I thought they looked better tonight than they did last Sat night at home against Duluth, they at least were connecting on passes tonight.

But that is like saying there was only one fly in your soup instead of 2 or 3. In any case, it's not good!

urgency:

- the state of being urgent; an earnest and insistent necessity

- pressing importance requiring speedy action

- an urgent situation calling for prompt action

- importunity: insistent solicitation and entreaty

I had to look the word up because I forgot what it means; I haven't seen it in action recently. :D

I liken urgency to you have to go, your being driven by a force, its very important that you go if not you will have a mess.

Yep and we will probably take a hit in the meaningless polls this week.

Wow, we can agree on something, now I am off, I feel a huge chest pain :D

But the last time I checked, every W, L or T counts. Are the polls going to matter come mid-week--No. But what they are a reflection of the the soon to be released Pairwise and like it or not, it more than likely is going to be a season of watching that barometer to see whether we are in or out ot the NCAA tourney come season's end. And frankly this team has too much talent for the Pairwise to potentially determine it's NCAA fate. Now if we go on a run and win 12 out of the next 15-16 game that probably won't be an issue, but will that happen for the 4TH year in a row??

JLP played very well last night, but like any goalie he is bound to be off his game (i.e. last Sat.) on occasion. What bothers me is we lost a game last Sat. that we shouldn't have, then last night JPL plays well enough to steal one and can't get one goal to at least get a tie more less the win. Potential 3 point swing in the WCHA standings. Now the same scenerio could happen tonight or we could post 3 or 4 and JPL let's in a couple soft ones and we lose. I'm not saying we'll lose tonight, my point is we are not taking advantage of the game to game situtation that present itself from time to time to convert standing points when we have the opportunity to do so. I see a very similar game tonight from last night--JPL will play well, low scoring and another first goal wins it type of game.

But the last time I checked, every W, L or T counts. Are the polls going to matter come mid-week--No. But what they are a reflection of the the soon to be released Pairwise and like it or not, it more than likely is going to be a season of watching that barometer to see whether we are in or out ot the NCAA tourney come season's end. And frankly this team has too much talent for the Pairwise to potentially determine it's NCAA fate. Now if we go on a run and win 12 out of the next 15-16 game that probably won't be an issue, but will that happen for the 4TH year in a row??

Very good question, but it has been proven by the Sioux and the Gophers that wins are not as important in November than they are in Jan, Feb, Mar... Although the odds are going to clip the Sioux eventually I am getting tired of this same act every year. I would like to see them play harder and win earlier. I am not convinced the boys have put a full effort in the last two games.

JLP played very well last night, but like any goalie he is bound to be off his game (i.e. last Sat.) on occasion. What bothers me is we lost a game last Sat. that we shouldn't have, then last night JPL plays well enough to steal one and can't get one goal to at least get a tie more less the win. Potential 3 point swing in the WCHA standings. Now the same scenerio could happen tonight or we could post 3 or 4 and JPL let's in a couple soft ones and we lose. I'm not saying we'll lose tonight, my point is we are not taking advantage of the game to game situtation that present itself from time to time to convert standing points when we have the opportunity to do so. I see a very similar game tonight from last night--JPL will play well, low scoring and another first goal wins it type of game.

The goaltending was amazing last night, JPL was focused. I think we all agree It could have been 5-0 in favor of Denver last night.

The goaltending was amazing last night, JPL was focused. I think we all agree It could have been 5-0 in favor of Denver last night.

But I have heard from Hak. vs MTU on Fri. and WI on Fri., we played well enough to win but their goalie stole one. When has UND stole one this year more less won a game they shouldn't have lost i.e. last Sat vs. UMD. At some point those parts of the equation has to change for this team to have a chance. Could it have been 5-0 last night--sure, but how about once in awhile, in a game like last night, it be 1-1 or 2-1 UND. We need to create some of our own breaks and that has not happened yet this season. You can keep squandering opportunities and not expect it to bite you in the onions at some point.

SKATE 'EM 'TILL THEY CAN'T EAT SUPPER!! :D

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/BobbyKnightTirade.mp3

Or get your powerplay to be SOMEWHAT effective, work on the kill to make your guys do it right, not run around and get out of position. And lastly, its time to switch line combo's tonight because they don't have much to lose. BTW, half the forwards on that team are afraid to block shots. The penalty kill should be EXTREMELY easy if done right. Stick is always on the ice, and stay in the shooting lanes. If your doing your job, a d-man should NEVER get a shot to the net.

When has UND stole one this year more less won a game they shouldn't have lost i.e. last Sat vs. UMD.

I would classify UND's 3-0 win at Northeastern as a game Phil stole. He also played exceptionally well in the fog game against BC. Otherwise, that could easily have gone down as a loss.

You can keep squandering opportunities and not expect it to bite you in the onions at some point.

What bothers me the most is that Hak's teams are 0-23 when trailing after two periods. They haven't come back to win a game since mid-February of 2006 at UAA. That's no coincidence. It's a very troubling trend and goes staight to Sicatoka's point about the lack urgency.

I would classify UND's 3-0 win at Northeastern as a game Phil stole. He also played exceptionally well in the fog game against BC. Otherwise, that could easily have gone down as a loss.

What bothers me the most is that Hak's teams are 0-23 when trailing after two periods. They haven't come back to win a game since mid-February of 2006 at UAA. That's no coincidence. It's a very troubling trend and goes staight to Sicatoka's point about the lack urgency.

I agree - we certainly are not a team to be feared on the road or at home. Another thing that concerns me - most teams we have played seem to have at least one freshman or sophomore who is lighting it up. We don't. We have some guys who show flashes of brilliance, then revert back to being average (much like our team). We don't have a difference maker so far in our younger guys. In addition, no one has made the leap to greatness so far like Duncan did last year. We seem to have many young players with potential, but thats about it. Most teams we have played have had much better contributions from their young scorers (Lapoint and Marto seem to be playing up to par). Take away Oshie and Duncan and we have almost no firepower. I know the season is in the first half, but It hurts to see other teams getting much better production from their young guys. We need some players to step it up to be competative.

I'll give you 2 period BC game in the fog, but if we are having to STEAL a game from Northeastern...Ouch!! Although I do recall JPL making 30+ saves in the shutout of NE. Was hunting that weekend so I'll accept your opinion.

I'll give you 2 period BC game in the fog, but if we are having to STEAL a game from Northeastern...Ouch!! Although I do recall JPL making 30+ saves in the shutout of NE. Was hunting that weekend so I'll accept your opinion.

Don't look now, but Northeastern is currently at the top of Hockey East. There's a chance that UND's win at Northeastern will prove significant in the pairwise rankings.

I watched the webcast of the UND-Northeatern game. Trust me. Without Lamoureux's play, the Sioux could have been down 3-0 before they ever scored a goal. And we know how well this team plays from behind.

Don't look now, but Northeastern is currently at the top of Hockey East. There's a chance that UND's win at Northeastern will prove significant in the pairwise rankings.

I watched the webcast of the UND-Northeatern game. Trust me. Without Lamoureux's play, the Sioux could have been down 3-0 before they ever scored a goal. And we know how well this team plays from behind.

I was at the game and I agree 100%.

And it's not as if Northeastern is a veteran team that has benefited from the NHL CBA. They have 9 upperclassmen and 16 underclassmen. I think they only have one senior, so if they can keep the majority of their players, they could be a serious contender next year, if not this year.