SiouxSports.com Forum

Whats up with Forney?

sioux rube

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cary Eades spoke at the Fargo Sioux Boosters luncheon today and said (probably violating all sorts of HIPPA rules) that Michael Forney is way behind where the team wants him in terms of development because of the shoulder injury and surgery. He said Forney is working very hard in practice, but might be a little gun shy as to re-injuring the shoulder.

Other interesting tidbits from the luncheon:

Eades also called Brent Davidson a "walk-on project". He said the other five freshmen will all get significant playing time. He noted Aaron Walski has worked himself into a position where he is challenging Grieco for the #2 goalie position. Grieco, Eades said, was brought in a year ahead of when the coaches projected him, and they recognize he is still very young. I don't know if it was because he was in Fargo or not, but Eades was highly complimentary of Walski's work ethic and the strides he has made in his craft.

Cary Eades spoke at the Fargo Sioux Boosters luncheon today and said (probably violating all sorts of HIPPA rules) that Michael Forney is way behind where the team wants him in terms of development because of the shoulder injury and surgery. He said Forney is working very hard in practice, but might be a little gun shy as to re-injuring the shoulder.

Other interesting tidbits from the luncheon:

Eades also called Brent Davidson a "walk-on project". He said the other five freshmen will all get significant playing time. He noted Aaron Walski has worked himself into a position where he is challenging Grieco for the #2 goalie position. Grieco, Eades said, was brought in a year ahead of when the coaches projected him, and they recognize he is still very young. I don't know if it was because he was in Fargo or not, but Eades was highly complimentary of Walski's work ethic and the strides he has made in his craft.

not really a shocker with forney, but it sucks to hear it from a coach.

Imagine if Forney never got hurt and he lived up to expectations. There wouldn't even be a question as to who is the best team in the nation. Not that there is much of one now, but we'd possibly have a team to rival '87.

we may never know what forney could do healthy as hes been passed up by others on this team for sure. if he was playing good after his injury that would be great for the team for sure but hes not and couldnt even crack the exhibition lineup with an extra forward who got to play. lets hold off on the 87 talk for sure and forneys talenet wouldnt have made us as good as that team, hell toews didnt even do that. there hasnt been a sioux team like that ever and probably will never be. plus we have no proven scoring depth after 5 or 6 guys. i think that will change very soon with vande and company but kozek, miller and watkins will need to be part of that to be a balanced team

So because a person has been injured, they aren't a good player?

i wouldnt say hes not a good player but he obviously hasnt returned to form after recovering from injury being a healthy scratch in a exhibition game. thats not good for forney. sometimes that happens with injuries. its sad really. maybe he can turn it around soon but if he doesnt soon i wonder what he will opt to do for his hockey career.

Ouch. That sucks for Forney and the team.

Let's hope that it fully heals and that he starts cracking the lineup sometime soon.

I got a twist in my stomach when I read about Forney's injury and lack of progress.

Reminds me of a kid a couple of years back who was leading Sioux freshmen in scoring (if I remember right)until he hurt his shoulder against Mankato. He never had another regular shift for the Sioux. How good could he have been? Well, he was in Bochenski's class. I hope Forney can get it back. Those shoulder injuries in hockey can be career threatening.

Recently on this board there was a discussion about how many forwards come in and play an impact role as freshmen right out of high school. There are some, but not many.

Add to that Forney suffered a significant shoulder injury late in the spring of his senior year, which hampered his ability to prepare for last season. Then suffered another last year and finally had surgery after the season.

The kid has barely had a "healthy" chance to play or prepare. Why don't we give him some time.

Recently on this board there was a discussion about how many forwards come in and play an impact role as freshmen right out of high school. There are some, but not many.

Add to that Forney suffered a significant shoulder injury late in the spring of his senior year, which hampered his ability to prepare for last season. Then suffered another last year and finally had surgery after the season.

The kid has barely had a "healthy" chance to play or prepare. Why don't we give him some time.

No !@$!, dagies. I agree. This is starting to get a little ridiculous.

Not to mention a broken ankle after his initial shoulder problem, that was late in is senior year of high school as well.

You can't rush a shoulder injury, just look at the program to the south and what is going on with Chicago's Havlat. If the kid has the desire to play he may not get much ice time this season but he could still heal and make a full return next season.

They have hockey in South Dakota? Oh nevermind, you must have been referring to hockey in Nebraska.

They have hockey in South Dakota? Oh nevermind, you must have been referring to hockey in Nebraska.

Since the trolls come out anyway I guess I should have known better and spelled it out for you: UMTC and Lucy. But of course Lucy is never to blame, it must have been those #$%* National Junior Team Coaches who did it.