SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

I think the bigger problem than an outgoing president is the perception that if the AD makes decisions the athletic staff objects to, the AD is the odd man (or woman) out. There's no real authority there. Few candidates would be eager for that. Or was Bunning just that inept? If so, that's a well kept secret from the general public.

I don't think it was all that well-kept of a secret that Buning was apparently neither liked nor respected by many within the department if one has read this board for the past year or so. The way this played out was not a pleasant situation, but it wasn't going to get any better had the status quo remained for any longer. I take no pleasure in seeing someone lose his job, but Buning is not a martyr. He brought on most of his own problems, and paid the price for them. I apologize for continuing to bring up the Wanless situation, but again, the difference there was that Wanless was basically doing a good job, and had support from many of the people who worked under him. I don't believe Buning had such backing. One can probably deduce the results of the questionnaire that was sent out to athletic department employees based upon what has transpired in the past five days.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't like the man. I know that the majority here think his $hit don't stink (as does he). I just have never like him.

I agree with you there! Thanks, Mr. Bunning!!

For you to say that you "personally don't like the man" and "just have never liked him" tells me that you have never met nor know Rob Bollinger. I have never met nor do I know you, but I will use your logic in asssuming that you are a j@ck@$$ for having stated that.

For you to say that you "personally don't like the man" and "just have never liked him" tells me that you have never met nor know Rob Bollinger. I have never met nor do I know you, but I will use your logic in asssuming that you are a j@ck@$$ for having stated that.

WOW!!! Thanks for being so tactfull in deriding me for an opinion I have regarding a man I have met, have spoken to and 'personally don't like the man'. I'll be sure to check with you before posting anymore personal opinions.

WOW!!! Thanks for being so tactfull in deriding me for an opinion I have regarding a man I have met, have spoken to and 'personally don't like the man'. I'll be sure to check with you before posting anymore personal opinions.

Ok, you are probably right. That is just your opinion and I guess I should just accept it as that. My apologies. I just really find it hard to believe that you have met Rob Bollinger and come to the conclusion that you 'just don't like the man', as you so succinctly put it. Any interest in sharing the moment which made you feel this way? I would be very interested in hearing it. If not, I would understand.

Ralston and Brekke have been named co-acting a.d.'s. link.

Administrator: check.

"Face-man" or fundraiser: check.

Someone ultimately has to be making decisions. Is that Harmeson?

The right decision is the one that's right for UND Athletics as an entity. I hope Ralston and Brekke would come to the same, right answer together (without having to go to the VP level).

Administrator: check.

"Face-man" or fundraiser: check.

The right decision is the one that's right for UND Athletics as an entity. I hope Ralston and Brekke would come to the same, right answer together (without having to go to the VP level).

I agree with your assessment on the two people and hope that they can work together in the interim. My problem is that I'm a black and white type person and when you get two people trying to run things sometimes things turn out gray. I know that the world is gray, I just have a hard time accepting it. :silly:

Someone losing their job is never a good thing as family members depend on that income for support.

On the other hand, I believe this move was necessary and will ultimately be what is best for UND athletics. The coaches and staff did not see eye to eye with Buning. That is never a good thing. The next person to come in must do a lot of mending wounded relationships.

Another thing worth noting is I believe there are too many hands in the cookie jar when it comes to leading this dept. Tom was not the only person making decisions for the dept. A well run athletic dept should have one decision maker. At UND, you have way too many. The AD should be the final say in anything athletic. This very problem has become a huge thorn in ADs sides across NCAA athletics. When you donate to the AD or buy a season ticket, it does not give you a podium to stand on and yell every time you disagree with something. If you would like to have a say, apply for a job in the AD. There seems to be a lot of them open lately.

Indeed interesting. A chess game seems to come to mind but without the "check mate" as of now.

I'm guessing the "checkmate" is in Russia right now. What is everyone's opinion on a new AD, if and when it is needed? Should it be a familiar name like Bollinger, or should UND go outside of the area? I know that didn't work so well with Bunning, but it has worked well to the south with Taylor.

Also, I have a question. Everything I've read states that the AD reports directly to Harmenson, is that true? If it is, does the Taylor report to a VP or directly to the president? It seems to me that UND maybe has an extra layer of reporting that is maybe muddying the waters.

Very interesting stuff.

I'm guessing the "checkmate" is in Russia right now. What is everyone's opinion on a new AD, if and when it is needed? Should it be a familiar name like Bollinger, or should UND go outside of the area? I know that didn't work so well with Bunning, but it has worked well to the south with Taylor.

Also, I have a question. Everything I've read states that the AD reports directly to Harmenson, is that true? If it is, does the Taylor report to a VP or directly to the president? It seems to me that UND maybe has an extra layer of reporting that is maybe muddying the waters.

Very interesting stuff.

UND will not attract the best candidates if this reporting structure continues, which I don't expect it to once a new president is selected. I believe Taylor reports directly to Gampy Joe.

Very interesting stuff.

Mr. Taylor has stated many times that he reports directly to his boss President Chapman.

Buning had reported to Kupchella until this summer, when Harmeson became Buning's boss and Kupchella began spending more time fundraising. Harmeson was acting AD before Buning and has been UND's faculty representative to the WCHA and (formerly) to the NCC.

Buning had reported to Kupchella until this summer, when Harmeson became Buning's boss and Kupchella began spending more time fundraising. Harmeson was acting AD before Buning and has been UND's faculty representative to the WCHA and (formerly) to the NCC.

So why not just have Phil be the AD?

I have waited long enough. --The Big East Conference just announced that the University of North Dakota is joining the league next year!!! Hey if North Dakota State can be in a league with the New Jersey Institute of Technology, there is no reason the Fighting Sioux and Scarlet Knights can't be in the same conference. :silly:

GO NORTH DAKOTA!

GO RUTGERS!