SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Bollinger was at today's game.

He was there because he coached the older guys on the 1979 team when he was a grad asst. He was also there because of his loyalty to Gene Murphy the 1979 team's head coach and one of the most respected and well liked coaches in any sport in UND history. He was there because he is and always will be a very important part of the UND family and a first class guy.

That brings me to a point that I think a lot of people on need to understand. If we are going to make th D1 move we need to start paying attention to some of the things that go with being a D1 program. You don't have an announcer at your games who keeps making mistakes as to whether or not the running back is Dressler , Chappell or a variation of both (Ryan Dressler). Your announcer does not forget to introduce the Hall of Fame Team's head coach (who left his wheelchair and used a cane to walk out on to the field with his team only to be forgotten by the announcer and then only as an after thought the announcer mumbled something about Coach Murphy that most people couldn't understand. You also need to have an announcer who makes sure if you are going to announce Chappell broke the school record with 306 rushing yards you do so so the fans can hear and understand what he is saying. If the best you can do is holler "OK Sioux Fans on your feet its third and 3", you as an announcer need to upgrade before the next home game or move on. That was pathetic and embarrassing. The announcer also forgot to intrduce the family of one of the other FB coaches from the 1979 team the late Don Stoner's family. Your work as an announcer at a colleg FB game at UND starts the week before the game learning how to pronounce the names and then make sure all special events and announcements are clear. That didn't get done.

He was there because he coached the older guys on the 1979 team when he was a grad asst. He was also there because of his loyalty to Gene Murphy the 1979 team's head coach and one of the most respected and well liked coaches in any sport in UND history. He was there because he is and always will be a very important part of the UND family and a first class guy.

That brings me to a point that I think a lot of people on need to understand. If we are going to make th D1 move we need to start paying attention to some of the things that go with being a D1 program. You don't have an announcer at your games who keeps making mistakes as to whether or not the running back is Dressler , Chappell or a variation of both (Ryan Dressler). Your announcer does not forget to introduce the Hall of Fame Team's head coach (who left his wheelchair and used a cane to walk out on to the field with his team only to be forgotten by the announcer and then only as an after thought the announcer mumbled something about Coach Murphy that most people couldn't understand. You also need to have an announcer who makes sure if you are going to announce Chappell broke the school record with 306 rushing yards you do so so the fans can hear and understand what he is saying. If the best you can do is holler "OK Sioux Fans on your feet its third and 3", you as an announcer need to upgrade before the next home game or move on. That was pathetic and embarrassing. The announcer also forgot to intrduce the family of one of the other FB coaches from the 1979 team the late Don Stoner's family. Your work as an announcer at a colleg FB game at UND starts the week before the game learning how to pronounce the names and then make sure all special events and announcements are clear. That didn't get done.

I agree. I was especially troubled when Gene Murphy wasn't properly announced. That was a huge blunder.

I agree. I was especially troubled when Gene Murphy wasn't properly announced. That was a huge blunder.

This was very disturbing, We need to clean house our Asst Athletic Director of Operations should help the AD pack the Van. We also again had trouble with Audio and Video feeds on the website, May not be directly his fault, but I do believe it is his responsibilites on both counts.

I'm with trunkmonkey in that I have no idea of any internal issues, what they are or allegedly may be. (other than what I've read on this site anyway) So this whole thing kind of leaves me torn...

On one hand, I say do what's best for the university and its athletes, coaches, and staff. During a transition time, internal friction is the last thing anyone wants or needs. If he needs to go... so be it. That's the way things go.

On the other hand, having it a talking point at tailgating and a "rumor" printed on the front page of the Sunday sports section is classless. This shouldn't have been leaked... even though I'm admittedly one of those who loves hearing stuff before it's officially news. UND can't help but have a little egg on the face with this one. There is a certain amount of professional courtesy that was completely disregarded in the termination/ resignation (if any, I guess) of Tom B.

Personally, I expect a little more class from our administration than what's been shown thus far. (again, if it indeed is fact; which we aren't sure of at this point)

*edit

The monopole thing was clever... I liked it up until the point where I realized I was among the "hard science types." :sad:

On the other hand, having it a talking point at tailgating and a "rumor" printed on the front page of the Sunday sports section is classless. This shouldn't have been leaked... even though I'm admittedly one of those who loves hearing stuff before it's officially news. UND can't help but have a little egg on the face with this one. There is a certain amount of professional courtesy that was completely disregarded in the termination/ resignation (if any, I guess) of Tom B.

Personally, I expect a little more class from our administration than what's been shown thus far. (again, if it indeed is fact; which we aren't sure of at this point)

I agree with you 100%. Looks like someone took this opportunity to 'stick it' to the AD for whatever reason. Totally unprofessional and classless!!

Regardless of how this comes out, it appears that UND is continuing the well-established trend of chewing up ADs and spitting them out. That should be of concern to us all.

Edited by PCM

Not surprising in terms of outcome (the announcement of Hakstol's extension was a slap to the face of Buning), but surprising as to timing. Figured he would finish out the academic year, but the powers that be have decided it's best to pull the pin now.

pcm, I guess thetriouxper and I arent quite as smart as you. How else was he suppose to take your comment of "Regardless of how this comes out, it appears that UND is continuing the well-established trend of chewing up ADs and spitting them out. That should be of concern to us all"?

Please share your wisdom with us. Or do you need a certain poster (you know which one I mean)(hint: the one that gave you the heads up on this topic) to pm you with reasoning for it. :sad:

How about if UND has to keep firing their AD it calls into question the process and/or the people involved in the process of hiring an AD. Why does this keep happening?

We should all now give TRIOUXPER and fs1 credit for being right about this whole situation. It will make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :sad: