SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

mikejm, when you said "Obviously both Tom and Debi were more than a little surprised at the revelation", that is not true, he in now way was surprised, I know for a fact of Tom asking area UND supporters if and when he was going to be fired. So it was not a suprise at all to him, he just didnt know exactly when it would happen.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough but what about only doing it for one employee? That's a huge problem and I don't see how UND will be able to defend that.

It is not just one employee. It has happened many times over the years. You're just hearing about it for the first time.

Would you like to try again?

Buning’s leave is for four weeks

Tom Buning’s leave of absence as UND athletic director is for four weeks, the Herald learned Thursday.

Buning took the leave earlier this week after a weekend in which there was speculation that there could be major challenges within the athletic department at the school.

At least there is a known end date.

Well, I don't think I did any of those things, aside from perhaps being anti-Buning, but the point, as it were, is that as a fan and alum, I'm going to give my opinion when it comes to what I perceive as damage being done to the department. Of course not everything Buning did was bad, but evidently the bad outweighed the good or he probably wouldn't have gotten such low marks from those in the department.

I didn't say that you specifically did all those things. I am saying that all of them (and some even worse than those I described) were done by various individuals at one time or another on this board. They have a cumulative effect that creates a particular perception. The desired outcome was obvious to everyone reading this board.

How drastic would it be if we just cleaned house in the Athletic department and started fresh. Then we could chery pick the whole staff. It would eliminate the people who obviously can't keep their mouths shut and would leave nobody from the failed regimes of the past. Maybe then we could get somebody who everyone likes and that can do the job in an effective manner. A drastic measure for sure but I would not be opposed to it.

I have to ask, was this done out of loyalty to the Buning's or for what other reason. I don't see in any way how it would help the administration to inform the employee about this before it happens. Doing so allows the employee to come up with alternative plans to pre-empt any action the University would or was planning to take. I would think that informing him of this would undermine any procedures the school already had in place to get the thing done and to keep it from getting all muddied.

Hmmm......interesting.........

And now you understand why many people here don't take just anyone's post as fact.

You and I have no idea what the state's procedure is or whether Buning was on probation.

Could NDSU defend how they treated George Ellis? The courts repeatedly said no.

The judge said George Ellis won

If you are looking for injustice, perhaps look within your own camp first. Come back when it's cleaned up. :)

What the hell does George Ellis have to do with this? Nice way to try to detract from the subject at hand.

Dig around the NDUS site. There has to be a review procedure that solicits feedback from all interfaces with a particular job: supervisors, peers, and those who report to. (Every organization has some method to do that.) I'd be surprised if it hadn't always been there. It got used. The result was found under open records. And?

That may or may not be but if UND has not followed that procedure up until now then you won't be able to fall back on that. According to reports in the media this Survey is not normal part of UND's protocol when determining an employees job performance. I'm still laughing at how I ask a valid question and the SS.Com attack hounds like to try to detract attention from the subject at hand and point the finger at NDSU. Sorry guys but this problem is your own home cooking gone bad. You can thank Kuppy for this along with his cronies.

Airing the University's dirty laundry out (and the matter is pretty petty at that) in public can only help it get stronger.

Reading: Bunnings responds to Survey makes me realize Bunning did a good job. But didn't get along with some people because his "good job" of balancing the budget hurt some peoples feelings..."aka the good ol' boys." The question needs to be asked: Where is the line between "books" and "street" smarts in todays world? You could be the best to ever exist at your job but if the people you work with don't want to work with you....You're Done (doesn't matter how).

or, better yet...How far can and should office politics go in an organization before it gets destructive to that organization?

Shocking, but true :) -- being an attorney and a vp doesn't necessarily mean he has a clue about what he is doing.

A little math here folks:

- Harmeson is an attorney (as well as VP) and knows the law

- Harmeson says he's legally prevented from discussing Buning's LoA

- Buning is a public employee at a public institution in an open records state

- Performance reviews of Buning are being made public by the press (as they are open record)

- Yet, Harmeson maintains he can not discuss the matter at this time.

So why can't Harmeson talk about why the LoA?

Well, there are some employment related matters that can not be included in an open record (and thus public discussions). Paragraph 4 is the one that applies to NDUS employees.

Curiouser and curiouser.