SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

GREAT chorney interview video,

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=3...p;service=page#

from brads blog regarding other summers camp attendees

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

On the way

This week, there will be Sioux players at camps in St. Louis, Atlanta and Washington.

Current Sioux players T.J. Oshie and Ryan Duncan will be at camp in St. Louis. Although Duncan was undrafted, he was offered a spot at the camp by the Blues and he accepted. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch will be doing a feature on Oshie for Sunday's paper and will likely touch on his decision to stay at UND and how it parallels a decision he made in high school.

Current Sioux forwards Rylan Kaip and Andrew Kozek will be at the Atlanta Thrashers' camp this week. Both attended camp last year and were roommates. Michael Forney, who is a Thrashers draft pick, will not be attending as he's still rehabbing from offseason shoulder surgery.

Current UND defenseman Joe Finley and forward recruit Brett Bruneteau will be at camp in Washington. It will be the first time at prospect camp for both players, I believe.

The Rocky Mountain News published the list of players attending camp in Colorado and draft pick Brad Malone was not listed.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (7):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (7):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

looks good!

1 extra defensemen and 3 extra fowards, really 2 extra D men as radke can fill in as well if need be. will be a nice battle for playing time for the last spots as im assuming martens will be sitting a lot. a lot will ave to do with forney and his health.

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

Hmmmmmmmm, how many 20-goal scorers you see on this list? How 'bout 15-goal scorers? Better hope the youngun's bring their scoring touch.

Hmmmmmmmm, how many 20-goal scorers you see on this list? How 'bout 15-goal scorers? Better hope the youngun's bring their scoring touch.

who cares especially if they spread it around, but to answer your question i see two 30 goal scoreres in duncan and oshie, duncan with 50-60 points and oshie with 60 plus and a hobey :silly: maybe trupp and frattin have great freshman years, if kozek shows us what he really has maybe 15 from him but im sure not counting on that..i guess we will wait and see

here are some numbers for you regarding 20 and 15 goal scorers the last 3 season we went to the frozen 4.....

2006/07......duncan 31 goals, toews 18 goals, oshie 17 goals

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.ph...=m&team=und

2005/06......stafford (24), oshie(24), toews(22), zajac(18) , duncan (16)

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.ph...AA&sort=PTS spread out as well

2004/05.......zajac (20), spirko (16)

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.ph...=GAA&sort=G very spread out scoring!!

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (7):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Chay Genoway

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

so marto is the odd d man out but who are the forwards sure if forney is hurt he is an obvious sit. but why bring frattin in if he is not going to play i just dont see the sense in wasting his ability. i may be getting the wrong impression but the addition of brent davidson seems to be a 4 year player as i have heard nothing about him. i also dont think radke will sit much as he plays with a lot of passion. my 3 forwards sitting out hoping forney is healthy is davidson martens and another player who is not performing in games and practices.

Kozek and Watkins need to step up the goal production.

kozek especially, 7 goals frosh season, 5 goals last year, not good, i see 13 and 17 out of him this year, 30 points would be nice!!

Fixed your post. I think this group is going to be good.

When you look at it we have been pretty fortunate to even get this group back. This group combines top end talent with experience. Remember that we could have easily lost Duncan and Oshie. Granted players like Kozek, Watkins, VandeVelde, and Forney will have to step it up but looking on paper the talent is definetly there.

When you look at it we have been pretty fortunate to even get this group back. This group combines top end talent with experience. Remember that we could have easily lost Duncan and Oshie. Granted players like Kozek, Watkins, VandeVelde, and Forney will have to step it up but looking on paper the talent is definetly there.

UND has the returning cast to take it far into the NCAA tourney. While I don't think fans should put undo pressure on the Sioux this team could win it all. We shouldn't be shocked if they do. Juniors and Senior ladien teams or teams with experience like Wisconsin in 2006 win NCAA titles. Now if they can put it all together good things could happen.

We as fans will have huge expectations this year of course, but nothing compared to what they have already set for themselves. Just ask Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, and Finley why they came back. They want that national championship, and anything short will be a dissappointment in their eyes. Most people realize that there are a great number of things that have to go their way for that to happen, including solid goaltending, staying healthy, and scoring at least seven goals the next time we play BC in the Frozen Four, but we definitely have the corp of guys to go all the way. Here's to #8 in '08, party in Denver!!

My predictions for 2007-08

Team MVP: TJ Oshie

Most-improved/Breakout player: Andrew Kozek

Most disappointing player: Ryan Duncan (don't kill me!)

Defensive player of the year: Joe Finley

Offensive player of the year: Chris Vande Velde (likely centering Oshie/Duncan)

Rookie/Frosh of the year: Evan Trupp

Best non first liner: Darcy Zajac

I say what I did about Duncan because it's so hard to repeat a performance like he had last year. Also, he won't have Toews centering him like before. Assuming VV is taking Toews spot, I know he will do very good, but it won't be the same. I do think he will be good enough to score plenty of goals with Oshie and Duncan's passing skills on the wings while also doing a lot of passing to the two best scorers on the team. I think he can have a 15-30-45 type year if all the pieces fall into place. If Trupp is in VV's spot, I think he could very well take charge as well. In my opinion, Finley will show how good he really can be this year by leading the defense. Chorney will always have more offensive skill at the point, but Finley will do his part in stopping that puck. I believe Kozek will get an oppurtunity to show some more offensive skill with either VV or Trupp centering his line (whoever isn't on the first line) and he will shine. Zajac will keep up the Zajac name this year as well with hopefully a 12-15 type season, or better. I think in everyone's minds Oshie will be the team MVP on and off the ice. Duncan will always be Ryan Duncan because of last year, but it's Oshie's turn, and you'll see why in a little less than 3 months.

I say what I did about Duncan because it's so hard to repeat a performance like he had last year. Also, he won't have Toews centering him like before. Assuming VV is taking Toews spot, I know he will do very good, but it won't be the same. I do think he will be good enough to score plenty of goals with Oshie and Duncan's passing skills on the wings while also doing a lot of passing to the two best scorers on the team. I think he can have a 15-30-45 type year if all the pieces fall into place. If Trupp is in VV's spot, I think he could very well take charge as well. In my opinion, Finley will show how good he really can be this year by leading the defense. Chorney will always have more offensive skill at the point, but Finley will do his part in stopping that puck. I believe Kozek will get an oppurtunity to show some more offensive skill with either VV or Trupp centering his line (whoever isn't on the first line) and he will shine. Zajac will keep up the Zajac name this year as well with hopefully a 12-15 type season, or better. I think in everyone's minds Oshie will be the team MVP on and off the ice. Duncan will always be Ryan Duncan because of last year, but it's Oshie's turn, and you'll see why in a little less than 3 months.

You have merely joined the long list of people who have never shown Duncan the respect he deserves. A repeat of Hobey will be extremely challenging but I think he will enjoy proving you wrong in the scoring department.

i wont kill you. i agree that its hard to duplicate, but dunc will still have over 20 goals. who knows, he could possibly get 40 goals!

and my list...

Most-improved/Breakout player: michael forney

Most disappointing player: kyle okposo :silly:

Defensive player of the year: taylor chorney

Offensive player of the year: ryan duncan

Best non first liner: chris VV

Captains: chorney C, kaip A, oshie A

You have merely joined the long list of people who have never shown Duncan the respect he deserves. A repeat of Hobey will be extremely challenging ....

Could be .... :silly:

WCHA Sets "Duncan-Free" Zone

DENVER, CO - WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod today announced a zone to be added to WCHA ice surfaces. This "Duncan-free" zone is an area to the left of UND opponent goaltenders. The area is on the goalie's left from the center of the rink to the boards, from the top of the circle to the endboards. This initiative was started by 9 of the 10 WCHA coaches. UND coach Dave Hakstol opposed the move.

"We hope this Duncan-free zone will allow WCHA goaltenders to sleep better at night, allowing them to be both better student and better athletes," Commissioner McLeod stated at the press conference announcing this change.

Violations of the Duncan-free zone will trigger a two-minute bench minor that must be served by any team member named Duncan.

The new rule goes into effect immediately.[/code]

[/indent]

:silly:

i wont kill you. i agree that its hard to duplicate, but dunc will still have over 20 goals. who knows, he could possibly get 40 goals!

and my list...

Most-improved/Breakout player: michael forney

Most disappointing player: kyle okposo :silly:

Defensive player of the year: taylor chorney

Offensive player of the year: ryan duncan

Best non first liner: chris VV

Captains: chorney C, kaip A, oshie A

Team MVP-Oshie

Most imoroved-Forney

Most dissapointing-Lapoint (seems to be to much hype about him)

Defensive player of the year-Chorney

Offensive player of the year-Oshie

Rookie-Trupp

Best non first liner-Bina

Captains. Chorney-C, Bina-A, Oshie-A, Kaip-A

Team MVP-Oshie

Most imoroved-Forney

Most dissapointing-Lapoint (seems to be to much hype about him)

Defensive player of the year-Chorney

Offensive player of the year-Oshie

Rookie-Trupp

Best non first liner-Bina

Captains. Chorney-C, Bina-A, Oshie-A, Kaip-A

This will be memorable.

My guess:

Team MVP- Oshie

Most Improved - Kozek (Forney would get my vote, but Forney really hasn't played healthy yet... we'll know more about him when he's healthy)

Most Disappointing - The Freshmen (Like Sioux17 said, I think there are already inklings of hype placed on these players such that it really doesn't matter what they do. If they aren't completely dominant and play nearly flawlessly defensively, they (or some of them) will be disappointments)

D POTY - Phil Lamoreaux

O POTY - Duncan

ROTY - LaPoint

Best non-first liner: Kaip

Ok, I didn't put any defensemen down as nonirst liner and if VV isn't on the first line, he goes in place of Kaip. And YES, the "Most disappointing" claim is an exaggeration. I know that 99% of the Sioux fans don't think like that and are probaby tired of that line. But really, our expectations have gotten so high I wonder what possibly they could do to avoid unrealistic expectations.

As for Kaip. I don't think Kaip will be the best OFFENSIVE non-first liner. I think he'll be the best non-first liner leadership and effort wise.

C - Kaip A - Chorney A- Bina A - Oshie

If you look at the roster for next year, maybe the coaches saw something missing in the equation that will add up to #8. With Porter and Fabian gone, the physical forwards appear to be Vandevelde and Kaip. They certainly can use another banger down low, especially one that has potential to score some goals and has even more size than any of the forementioned players. He may or may not play much this year, but it is certainly nice to have him to fill a role if others aren't producing in there roles.

If you look at the roster for next year, maybe the coaches saw something missing in the equation that will add up to #8. With Porter and Fabian gone, the physical forwards appear to be Vandevelde and Kaip. They certainly can use another banger down low, especially one that has potential to score some goals and has even more size than any of the forementioned players. He may or may not play much this year, but it is certainly nice to have him to fill a role if others aren't producing in there roles.

I also think that LaPoint will be a very good player and Marto will be a solid 4 year player, but I would not be surprised to see Radke start out as the 6th defensman until Hak is more comfortable with LaPoint. Having another big forward should help make that a possibility.

I also think that LaPoint will be a very good player and Marto will be a solid 4 year player, but I would not be surprised to see Radke start out as the 6th defensman until Hak is more comfortable with LaPoint. Having another big forward should help make that a possibility.

Lee came in as a high school player and started. LaPoint has a year of USHL experience under his belt. I understand that Lee was a very highly drafted player, but I would guess LaPoint is probably as prepared to play at this level as Lee was when he came in.

Lee came in as a high school player and started. LaPoint has a year of USHL experience under his belt. I understand that Lee was a very highly drafted player, but I would guess LaPoint is probably as prepared to play at this level as Lee was when he came in.

lapoint will be a great addition to the team. hes very offensive