SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

Sioux lose Porter, Fabian and Foyt to graduation.

Sioux lose Hunter Bishop to return to juniors.

Sioux most likely lose Toews to early defection.

Sioux possibly lose Lee, Chorney, Oshie to early defection.

Sioux could also lose Finley, Duncan, VandeVelde in long shot early defections.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sioux bring in Jake Marto, Derrick LaPoint on defense for sure.

Sioux bring in Evan Trupp, Brad Malone, Brett Hextall at forward for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means the Sioux lose 5 for sure (including Toews) and bring in 5 which is good.

If anyone else should go they can bring in Matt Frattin, and Brett Bruneteau at forward as well as Ben Blood on defense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious what you think the Sioux will do on defense if none of the current D leave early? LaPoint almost a lock in the lineup I would assume for next year. Do they move Genoway up to forward again and play LaPoint with Jones? That would seem the most likely to me. LaPoint is an offensive presence and Jones is a lock down defenseman and that could be a good give and take combo. I can't believe I'm going to do this but here is my ridiculously early mock lines for next year.

Duncan-VandeVelde-Oshie

Watkins-Trupp-Kozek

Forney-Kaip-Malone

Genoway-Zajac-Miller

Hextall-Martens-

Chorney-Lee

Finley-Bina

LaPoint-Jones

Radke-Marto

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot about Shea Hamilton at forward. He had to sit out this season after transferring from UAA.

I'm confused on the whole Hamilton situation.... I know that he had to sit out a year because he transferred and he played two years at UAA... does he lose eligibilty for sitting out? No... is my answer, but my friend tried to tell me differently this weekend. Will he be considered a junior with two years left or a senior with only one year?

I had the opportunity to watch Pentiction play Vernon in the playoffs last week. Hextall looks absolutely Awesome!!!! Trupp was a scratch cuz of illness pretty much the whole series, unfortunately. Am sure the Sioux scouts are looking at the "kid line" of 16 yr old AP's playing for Vernon against Pentiction. Unbelieveable, those three!!! Too bad we couldn't get Nash, though, eh? Guess he is going to Cornell.

I'm confused on the whole Hamilton situation.... I know that he had to sit out a year because he transferred and he played two years at UAA... does he lose eligibilty for sitting out? No... is my answer, but my friend tried to tell me differently this weekend. Will he be considered a junior with two years left or a senior with only one year?

Shea still has two years of eligibility remaining and is considered a junior. Your friend is a moron. Tell him I said that next time you see him. :silly:

Blaiser's and Hak's (up to this year) teams were normally 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies on the roster.

You normally dress 12, 6, and 2 for a game.

This promotes competition for game-day line-up slots (and protects against an injury, or "altercation", leaving you short).

I say you keep Watkins and the Dutchman together. They worked some magic against Jan Brady in the Final Five. They are both big guys and play pretty physical. The Dutchamn is not a first line college center, there is not enough offense in his game yet.

Oshie's decision on whether or not to turn pro will result in some serious discussions about players playing another year of Junior hockey or not.

We'll have to see how the new guys look in practice and game situations. The WCHA while not the WHL is also not the BCJHL.

Trupp and Hextall sound like players with tremendous upside. Forney was a high draft pick who we didn't see a lot of this year.

Oshie and Duncan (if they come back) are locks on that first line. Osh can play center as well as wing, although I think his aggressiveness and desire to play "big" sometimes takes him out of the play, this is a liability for a centerman. Pretty weak criticism of Osh, I know, he doesn't have many flaws in his game :silly:

Is Trupp the magic man that his points per game indicate? If so, he might be the right guy to play the middle of the ice with Osh and Duncs. A playmaker, a highly skilled, strong, playmaking banger, and a sniper make a good lforward line.

If, by some miracle, we keep both Oshie and Duncan, we are going to have a glutton of forwards. The Dutchman and Watkins certainly earned the right to keep their jobs, as did Kaip. I don't think anyone had too many complaints about Zajac on the fourth line. Kozek has tremendous upside despite his issues. He can fly and was a big time scorer in junior. Miller, despite being a non-factor in the second half, still scored double digit goals.

Question: Do Trupp and Hextall play on the same line up in BC? If so, we might want to keep them together here as well.

There will be line shuffling, and some players will exceed expectations, while others leave something to be desired. Very few players with the exception of Parise, come in with high expectations and immediately show that they are the real deal.

Possible...but why not Dunc in a repeat!? What a tandem they would be next year.

duncs will share the wealth! and yes they will be a hell of a tandem next year! the key will be who hak plugs in replacing toews..do you go small and quick like trupp or bigger?? either way they are damn scary...

We go from a very heavy underclass roster to an upperclass roster with tons of playoff experience. Different players will mold into new roles and the Sioux just keep rolling.Is it October yet? :silly:

Thats how a lot of these teams have won NCAA title, with Upper classmen ie Wisconsin and Denver University.

how good is shea hamilton?

That's what I was wondering, so I looked up some stats from his UAA years...

GP G A PTS

19 7 4 11

24 3 4 7

He wasn't the most prolific of players while playing for a lower half WCHA team...I'm not so sure he's guaranteed a roster spot unless Hak and the crew knows something I don't.

Duncan-Oshie-Trupp

Malone-VandeVelde-Kozek

Forney-Kaip-Watkins

Hextall-Zajac-Miller

Radke-Martens-Hamilton

Chorney-genoway

Finley-Bina

LaPoint-Jones

Marto

im just guessing with these of course, toews will be gone, im gona say lee will be gone just for my lineup guess above....

now if lee stays then we have a major log jam at defense as i believe lapoint is ready to roll as well as ben blood but this would maybe put blood in the ushl i would guess. radke is a very interesting player. i think he is done as a d man and the forward posotions as well will be very crowded. this makes me think either a player or 2 transfers or i guess i not sure as 3-4 players sitting every night doesnt seem to be a logical choice for top players coming in. thats just being realistic.

oshie and duncan will be back to make another run at #8....add other pieces with phil as a very solid goalie and a very experienced d core, we have a hell of a team or next season.

i know this will all play itself out but its fun to play around with scenerios...

Duncan-Oshie-Trupp

Malone-VandeVelde-Kozek

Forney-Kaip-Watkins

Hextall-Zajac-Miller

Radke-Martens-Hamilton

Chorney-genoway

Finley-Bina

LaPoint-Jones

Marto

im just guessing with these of course, toews will be gone, im gona say lee will be gone just for my lineup guess above....

now if lee stays then we have a major log jam at defense as i believe lapoint is ready to roll as well as ben blood but this would maybe put blood in the ushl i would guess. radke is a very interesting player. i think he is done as a d man and the forward posotions as well will be very crowded. this makes me think either a player or 2 transfers or i guess i not sure as 3-4 players sitting every night doesnt seem to be a logical choice for top players coming in. thats just being realistic.

oshie and duncan will be back to make another run at #8....add other pieces with phil as a very solid goalie and a very experienced d core, we have a hell of a team or next season.

i know this will all play itself out but its fun to play around with scenerios...

I'm also going to assume that Toews and Lee are gone. I'd like to see something like this.

Dunc-Osh-Trupp

Watty-Vandy-Malone

Kozek-Kaip-Hextall

Miller-Martens-Zajac

Chorney-Bina

Finley-Genoway

Lapoint-Jones

I am just speculating but these lines would work for me. I thought the 4th line was alot more effective when martens was out there. Radke just doesn't do it for me. I would hate for a guy like martens or zajac sit and then get pissed off and leave.

Forney is a big question mark at this point. I don't know if it would be better to send him to juniors for a year or see how he does in his sophomore year. I'm going to be honest I don't know much about Hamilton so I don't know where he fits in. On defense I realize Marto would be our 7th guy there. So he could step in if someone gets injured or there game goes to crap.

I'm also going to assume that Toews and Lee are gone. I'd like to see something like this.

Dunc-Osh-Trupp

Watty-Vandy-Malone

Kozek-Kaip-Hextall

Miller-Martens-Zajac

Chorney-Bina

Finley-Genoway

Lapoint-Jones

I am just speculating but these lines would work for me. I thought the 4th line was alot more effective when martens was out there. Radke just doesn't do it for me. I would hate for a guy like martens or zajac sit and then get pissed off and leave.

Forney is a big question mark at this point. I don't know if it would be better to send him to juniors for a year or see how he does in his sophomore year. I'm going to be honest I don't know much about Hamilton so I don't know where he fits in. On defense I realize Marto would be our 7th guy there. So he could step in if someone gets injured or there game goes to crap.

zajac will be inthe lineup every night. so i dont see marto at D?? i assume he is your odd man out as a 7th d man? and you have radke not in at all, forney maybe in ushl and hamilton..ok i can see this, just seems like we will have to decide who plays another year of juniors and who will actually want to do that??

Isn't Malone still 18? He could play one more year of Juniors if Osh stays. We don't want to bring a player in too early.

I can't imagine separating Watkins and Vandy after their play in this playoff run. It is so important to see how players "click" together.

Trupp appears to be ultra creative based on stats. I like the idea of splitting up the rookies.

Oshie, Trupp and Duncan

Watkins, Vandy and Hextall

Kozek, Kaip and Forney

Miller, Zajac and Hamilton, Radke or Martens

Chorney and Lapointe ( strongest with the rook )

Bina and Finley

Genoway and Jones

If Lee comes back we have a glutton of D men. In that case maybe Genoway moves up to Forward.

Anyway we slice it, we will have players

Isn't Malone still 18? He could play one more year of Juniors if Osh stays. We don't want to bring a player in too early.

I can't imagine separating Watkins and Vandy after their play in this playoff run. It is so important to see how players "click" together.

Trupp appears to be ultra creative based on stats. I like the idea of splitting up the rookies.

Oshie, Trupp and Duncan

Watkins, Vandy and Hextall

Kozek, Kaip and Forney

Miller, Zajac and Hamilton, Radke or Martens

Chorney and Lapointe ( strongest with the rook )

Bina and Finley

Genoway and Jones

If Lee comes back we have a glutton of D men. In that case maybe Genoway moves up to Forward.

Anyway we slice it, we will have players

With 8 at D I suspect that Marto sits and Genoway plays forward and QBs the PP.

I still thikn tha Genoway can be an awesome forward. The kid has great offensive skills.

he was good at forward but a great d man who went end to end very nicely. there will be no room at forward in my eyes and i beleieve he already had a d spot locked with his play this last season. cant wait til all the pieces fall together

he was good at forward but a great d man who went end to end very nicely. there will be no room at forward in my eyes and i beleieve he already had a d spot locked with his play this last season. cant wait til all the pieces fall together

But would you rather he take up a forward spot or is one of him, Chorney, Lee, Bina, Jones, LaPoint or Finley going to sit every night?