SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

Which means he would only have less than 1 year of D experience prior to 2008. My point is I think we want him at D next year so that we have more experienced D in 08.

He's got plenty of experince on defense. You can't look down the road to project 2008 playing time right now. As it stands (saying that no defense go pro) Chorney, Lee, Finley, Bina, Jones, Genoway, and LaPoint have to play every night. Since you usually only dress 6 defense that leaves one out. Since Genoway can play forward...I would assume he moves up. None of Chorney, Lee, Finley, Bina, Jones, or LaPoint are going to be sitting.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got plenty of experince on defense. You can't look down the road to project 2008 playing time right now. As it stands (saying that no defense go pro) Chorney, Lee, Finley, Bina, Jones, Genoway, and LaPoint have to play every night. Since you usually only dress 6 defense that leaves one out. Since Genoway can play forward...I would assume he moves up. None of Chorney, Lee, Finley, Bina, Jones, or LaPoint are going to be sitting.

Defense is a tough thing to learn at this level and Genoway lacks the size advantage to help him in some situations. Genoway has great skills and can be a good defenseman, but there were times this season where his lack of size and experience really hurt him back by the net. That said, in the scenario as you lay it out, he would be the more likely candidate to move to forward. But in that scenario, if he moves back to D in 2008, I don't think he would be as proficient as he could be, but that might just have to be the way things have to be.

Part of my answer stems from this year where, even though the Sioux struggled to score up front, the coaches seemed that they wanted Genoway back at D. Maybe this was because they anticipated next year's log jam, I don't know.

Defense is a tough thing to learn at this level and Genoway lacks the size advantage to help him in some situations. Genoway has great skills and can be a good defenseman, but there were times this season where his lack of size and experience really hurt him back by the net. That said, in the scenario as you lay it out, he would be the more likely candidate to move to forward. But in that scenario, if he moves back to D in 2008, I don't think he would be as proficient as he could be, but that might just have to be the way things have to be.

Part of my answer stems from this year where, even though the Sioux struggled to score up front, the coaches seemed that they wanted Genoway back at D. Maybe this was because they anticipated next year's log jam, I don't know.

D is a logjam if no one leaves early. If Lee or Finley leaves, Lapoint slides in to that spot and that is your top 6 for the majority of the season.

D is a tough position to play, and after the fine rookie season Genoway had, it would not make sense to throw that experience away and have him spend a year at forward - and then potentially move back to D the following year.

I'm sure the staff were projecting at least one early departure from Lee/Chorney/Finley - especially after the 05 entry draft. It actually would make their lives easier if one would go.

And if no D leave, it also creates a logjam at forward, because Hakstol will almost be forced to put Genoway as a forward (and keep Radke there).

With a top 6 of Bina, Chorney, Lee, Jones, Finley, LaPoint and plus Genoway and Marto, it definitely puts Marto as the odd man out. That's unfortunate that he won't be getting much game experience because we'll need it for 08-09 when Bina, Radke, Chorney, Lee, and Finley will all be gone.

If Toews or Oshie (or both) decide to stay, I wouldn't be surprised if Hextall or Malone stays in juniors for another season.

Genoway is money on the blue line and it would be crazy to move him to forward.

No early defectors this year. Toews and Oshie have unfinished business!

#8 in '08!

I agree! Duncan announced he is coming back, Oshie will follow next, and then Toews wont want to leave that line after the domination the second half of the season. He stated "What my teammates think is going to be very important to me, because they are the ones who know me best." #8 in '08!!

I agree! Duncan announced he is coming back, Oshie will follow next, and then Toews wont want to leave that line after the domination the second half of the season. He stated "What my teammates think is going to be very important to me, because they are the ones who know me best." #8 in '08!!

Hopefully they all work on each other to stay! Still it is very hard to say no to the big $'s.

I hope we don't have to wait that long to find out.

Don't forget about Taylor Chorney...he's a HUGE part of next years team.

I agree! Duncan announced he is coming back, Oshie will follow next, and then Toews wont want to leave that line after the domination the second half of the season. He stated "What my teammates think is going to be very important to me, because they are the ones who know me best.” #8 in '08!!

Crazier things have happened, but I agree that Oshie is next to stay and then Toews will have a tough choice...and decides to stay as well!

I am pumped Chorney is returning! He is our core defenseman. It is very possible he may wear the "C"

Taylor would be a good choice, but my money is on Bina especially after all he has gone thru.

Addendum: Toews wears the "C" if he returns.

I think next year it's Chorney's team. He deserves the C.

yeah, you may be right

chorney - C

oshie - A

duncan - A

bina - A

cant remember our captains or A's in the past but do players usually wear a letter then maybe not wear one the next season? just thinking of kaip here..how often does a goalie wear a letter, cant be often. didnt briggs wear one this last year?