SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

It's a shame that McFeely falls back on his usual tactic of cheap-shotting (yes, he's even done it to NDSU) and proposing simplistic solutions to complex problems. If you can get past those parts of his column, he does actually have a valid point in comparing how UND basketball coach Brian Jones handled a disciplinary problem with his players and how Hakstol handled the problem with his players.

I'm not saying that Hakstol should have done exactly what Jones did because I have no idea how the basketball players violated team policy. What does that mean? Does McFeely know? If so, he should tell his readers because that's the only way they can determine whether the two situations are analogous. Without knowing that key bit of information, it's impossible for us to judge whether Jones' approach was more correct than Hakstol's.

Also, from my perspective, McFeely's complaint about how Hakstol handled the media is valid.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that Hakstol should have done exactly what Jones did because I have no idea how the basketball players violated team policy. What does that mean? Does McFeely know? If so, he should tell his readers because that's the only way they can determine whether the two situations are analogous. Without knowing that key bit of information, it's impossible for us to judge whether Jones' approach was more correct than Hakstol's.

To point:

If Hak would've come out right away and said, "I'm on it. Team rules will be enforced. That is all I have to say" he'd have taken away McFeely's blasting powder. Hak has now, albeit too late.

As far as Jones, why isn't there an uproar towards Jones over which team rules were violated? If he's sitting guys, why?

I agree with McFeely. Sorry, but he is right when he says Hak blew it.

Further, The Forum has indeed publicly and officially sanctioned employees who break the law, even an "insignificant" offense. I'm not going to do the research for you, but I assure you when one of their highly-visible managers and/or employees gets busted, it is reported; in fact I'll go so far as to say the press in general goes overboard in reporting its own transgressions.

This thread is a primer in homerism.

What standard are they holding Hak to, and are they choosing to live to that standard also?

When the media screws up, we all criticize it with gusto. We don't sit around moralizing about whether we're living lives free of sin in comparison to editors, news directors and reporters. Their decisons are just as open to criticism as the decisions of coaches, players and others in the public eye.

Further, The Forum has indeed publicly and officially sanctioned employees who break the law, even an "insignificant" offense. I'm not going to do the research for you, but I assure you when one of their highly-visible managers and/or employees gets busted, it is reported; in fact I'll go so far as to say the press in general goes overboard in reporting its own transgressions.

None of us should be surprise with your response. :blush::glare::sad:

Didn't underage drinking - not simply just being in a bar - occur last year at MnTech and was it not handled exactly the same way which would suggest that this is the norm?

To point:

If Hak would've come out right away and said, "I'm on it. Team rules will be enforced. That is all I have to say" he'd have taken away McFeely's blasting powder.

Nope. McFeely makes it clear that the only action which would have satisfied him were the suspensions of Bina, Oshie and Toews. While I'm sure it would have given Mike a warm fuzzy, it's a simplistic solution. I imagine it's possible that McFeely has a complete and total grasp of all relevant facts concerning the actions of the UND basketball and hockey players in question, but I doubt it.

My frustration here is quite simple:

Why is two college students caught in a bar a 'news' story with any legs?

Is it because of who they are?

Is it because their coach didn't meet media expectations?

Is it because their coach didn't meet public expectations?

That's two of those guys.

Now, to the third, ...

If someone here should be taking a lot of heat, and isn't, it's Robbie Bina.

Ya don't screw around with official vehicles and officers doing their jobs.

If anything I'm not hearing/reading enough heat toward Robbie. (Sorry Robbie, it's true.)

Nope. McFeely makes it clear that the only action which would have satisfied him were the suspensions of Bina, Oshie and Toews. While I'm sure it would have given Mike a warm fuzzy, it's a simplistic solution. I imagine it's possible that McFeely has a complete and total grasp of all relevant facts concerning the actions of the UND basketball and hockey players in question, but I doubt it.

And you've summed up my frustrations with McFeely perfectly.

I believe most of us have agreed that a one game suspension doesn't fit the crime, again its a status offense to caught drinking and very minor to be in a bar, no that big of a deal. As far as Brian Jones good for him he suspended his players, how do we know these kids didn't screw up more than once. I would tell McClow that the two players will sit when the Gopher players all sit a game for the Blarney's incident. Like Don, Hak handled it right in my opinion. As far as NDSU goes, Mike doesn't want to get into who schools has the most criminals and bad Boyzs. As far as I know none of our players have shop lifting and gettting arrested for crimes of violence.

Buddy, If you haven't already, I really think it is time for you to put on the white collar and long robe and stick to the prayer books if this is how you feel about this matter. How about the blood letting, cursing and fisticuffs that are part of the game of hockey, is that starting to gnaw at your moral fiber too.

Best take Hwy 2 to avoid the "elitest" Fargo - never thought I would say that about a ND population. McFeely probably lives in Minnesota though - naw - too high of taxes.

That would explain the program envy.

I believe most of us have agreed that a one game suspension doesn't fit the crime, again its a status offense to caught drinking and very minor to be in a bar, no that big of a deal. As far as Brian Jones good for him he suspended his players, how do we know these kids didn't screw up more than once. I would tell McClow that the two players will sit when the Gopher players all sit a game for the Blarney's incident. Like Don, Hak handled it right in my opinion. As far as NDSU goes, Mike doesn't want to get into who schools has the most criminals and bad Boyzs. As far as I know none of our players have shop lifting and gettting arrested for crimes of violence.

I don't think you want to go there. (you're wrong on both counts) Both schools have had some problems, but for the most part it's been pretty good.