SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Toews, Bina trouble

proudsioux

My frustration here is quite simple:

Why is two college students caught in a bar a 'news' story with any legs?

Is it because of who they are?

Is it because their coach didn't meet media expectations?

Is it because their coach didn't meet public expectations?

That's two of those guys.

Now, to the third, ...

If someone here should be taking a lot of heat, and isn't, it's Robbie Bina.

Ya don't screw around with official vehicles and officers doing their jobs.

If anything I'm not hearing/reading enough heat toward Robbie. (Sorry Robbie, it's true.)

Sic,

The story has legs exactly because of who "they" are. JT and TJ are two of the most visible members of the biggest show in town (maybe in the region). Let's face it, Grand Forks and UND are media backwaters, so when something

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie Bina made a terrible mistake by getting in the way of the law...he is obviously a strong young man that knows he messed up bad and will be that much better for it in his future.

No question he's a strong kid coming back from the injury. And I don't know him from Adam, but I'll take it on faith that he's maybe a good kid. However.....as far as learning from the mistake and being better for it......well I would have thought that he would have proven that after the DUI. As George W. Bush says....."fool me once.....shame on you.......ah......if you're fooled you can't get fooled again.".

My frustration here is quite simple:

Why is two college students caught in a bar a 'news' story with any legs?

You could ponder that question until the end of time and it wouldn't get you anywhere. Everyday (except in places like North Korea), various news organizations make decisions about what's news. Their decisions are often at odds with what individuals in other news organizations think is news. Trying to make sense of it is a waste of time because the media is consistently inconsistent.

That's what Dave Hakstol and his players need to understand above all else. If they think that - even on the local level - the media is going to develop a standard for what gets in the news and what doesn't, they're not dealing with reality.

In the field of media relations, I advise people that if they don't want something published or broadcast, then don't say it. By the same token, if you don't want to be the lead story for WDAZ, don't break the law and give the news director an excuse to make you the lead story. Pretty simple.

No question he's a strong kid coming back from the injury. And I don't know him from Adam, but I'll take it on faith that he's maybe a good kid. However.....as far as learning from the mistake and being better for it......well I would have thought that he would have proven that after the DUI. As George W. Bush says....."fool me once.....shame on you.......ah......if you're fooled you can't get fooled again.".

Granted, we don't know the entire story, but if all he did was walked over and opened the car door.......big flipping deal.

Are you serious? If you do that with Minneapolis police they would have you on the ground in cuffs faster than you could blink.

Yeh - Minnyhopeless PD are serious - unlike those in GF.

But you know that it depends on the prosecution's office and what they wish to do with it. You do know that, right? And in Minnyhopeless - I would venture that the penalty is less for this infraction than in GF

Are you serious? If you do that with Minneapolis police they would have you on the ground in cuffs faster than you could blink.

Perhaps you need to consider that the population and crime rate in Minneapolis being what it is and the population and crime in Grand Forks being what it is, there might be a difference beween the way police in the two cities treat people. And, no, I'm not excusing Robbie's behavior.

Sioux Sports welcomes Buckysieve to the fraw a week late and a dollar short. Obviously your not in penology or criminal justice There are also things called police brutality. I have talked to cops that said if they did the things police officers on cops did here in Grand Forks they would probably lose their jobs. Something to think about.

Yes, I am serious. Do you think if these officers had thrown Bina to the ground and handcuffed him that everyone wouldn't be screaming police brutality? Comparing how someone in Grand Forks is treated by the authorities in Minneapolis is comparing apples and oranges.

Bucky, your words are expressed with such conviction that we can only assume they are based on a personal event. However, keep in mind that opening the door to the police cruiser is very different from making a pass at them. Did you get the baton too?

Granted, we don't know the entire story, but if all he did was walked over and opened the car door.......big flipping deal.

Wow, lol...It's these kind of opinions that give McFlurry a platform. Violating probabtion......yeah, who should take what a judge says seriously anyhow right? And if a cop puts someone in a police car....why shouldn't they just be able to be let out if they want?. Kinda heading down a slippery slope there don't ya think.

Perhaps you need to consider that the population and crime rate in Minneapolis being what it is and the population and crime in Grand Forks being what it is, there might be a difference beween the way police in the two cities treat people. And, no, I'm not excusing Robbie's behavior.

Yes, I'm sure the police do handle things differently in GF than in mpls. My point is that what Bina did is actually a fairly big deal. The police put Toews and Oshie in the back of a cop car for a reason. To say "big friggin deal" about Bina's actions when he directly and purposely interefered with police business is being to easy on Bina, especially when you consider he knew he was on probation at the time.

Hakstol has handled this just fine imo. I'm sure the players will be punished and I don't need to know what that will consist of like some in the media apparently want. It's none of my business what they get for punishment. I don't think there's any way Toews and Oshie should miss a game for this. Bina should maybe get one game and that's it.

Yes, I am serious. Do you think if these officers had thrown Bina to the ground and handcuffed him that everyone wouldn't be screaming police brutality? Comparing how someone in Grand Forks is treated by the authorities in Minneapolis is comparing apples and oranges.

In Minneapolis, they probably would have Tasered him, or given him a boot to the face, if he was lucky. And yes, he was an idiot for opening the cruiser's door, I don't care where you are, but at least he didn't scream "I know my rights!" like that idiot in Omaha.

Wow, lol...It's these kind of opinions that give McFlurry a platform. Violating probabtion......yeah, who should take what a judge says seriously anyhow right? And if a cop puts someone in a police car....why shouldn't they just be able to be let out if they want?. Kinda heading down a slippery slope there don't ya think.

I said nothing about violating probation. I was talking about the incident on it's own. And, no, it's not slippery slope if he simply walked over and opened the door. Reread my post, I also said that we don't know the entire situation.