SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMtc

AZSIOUX

Actually, yes, I'd agree with that statement. But the truth is, I don't care. It's a wonderful facility and an amazingly genourous gift to UND and Grand Forks. I don't have a clue what its economic impact has meant to the community, but it is no doubt considerable. Plus, it has helped put Grand Forks on the map nationally and internationally.

Most people never see the best parts of the arena: the training area, the rehab facilities, the locker room and players' lounge and study area. When you walk through those parts of the arena and see the emphasis on Fighting Sioux hockey tradition and winning, it's not difficult to imagine their effect on potential recruits.

So while I might not agree with all the design decisions, there's no way that I can be critical of what Ralph Engelstad did for UND and Grand Forks.

I think the Ralph was just exactly what the city of Grand Forks needed after the flood. Peoples lives were absolutely torn up-side down and thrown into major turmoil. That tragedy is something I can not possibly fathom what it was like to endure. My outlaws from Grand Forks went through it and to hear them talk about it still brings pain. I don't think anybody should have to suffer the loss that the people of Grand Forks did. To see the pride that the Ralph brings to the community is very very special. I would venture to guess the Ralph is a rallying point for the resident of Grand Forks. For that you guys should be commended.

As far as the facility itself, visually speaking the Ralph is "a crown jewel" to look at. As PCM indicates all the additional facilities really make it something special. However, i'll probably get ripped for this but, I think the atmosphere there is like a morgue. It really does not seem to have any "personality" to it. I have been to several games and the "You sit" & "Let's go Sioux" chant's are the only thing being heard. Other than that the crowd just sits on their hands the entire game.

Like I said the Ralph is AWESOME to look at but I could take a nap during the games. There is not an "electric atmospher" at all. I have been to the National Concrete Center to watch scsu, and while the have a small capacity, the entire crowd seems to be roaring along with the student section. Same thing goes for Mariucci. I know it is very very corporate but there are plenty of varying chants which are screamed. Such as the "Never Were" when the Gophers kill a penalty and go back to full strengh, or the "That's debatle" when the opposition becomes full strength, or "The Rouser" after the Gophers score a goal--you get about 9500 people screaming MINNESOTA. Hell look at the Kohl Center. There are about 10 people in entire state of Wisconsin that know a lick about hockey. But that crowd is absolutely 100% into the game. They scream and they chant the entire game and the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Ralph was just exactly what the city of Grand Forks needed after the flood. Peoples lives were absolutely torn up-side down and thrown into major turmoil. That tragedy is something I can not possibly fathom what it was like to endure. My outlaws from Grand Forks went through it and to hear them talk about it still brings pain. I don't think anybody should have to suffer the loss that the people of Grand Forks did. To see the pride that the Ralph brings to the community is very very special. I would venture to guess the Ralph is a rallying point for the resident of Grand Forks. For that you guys should be commended.

As far as the facility itself, visually speaking the Ralph is "a crown jewel" to look at. As PCM indicates all the additional facilities really make it something special. However, i'll probably get ripped for this but, I think the atmosphere there is like a morgue. It really does not seem to have any "personality" to it. I have been to several games and the "You sit" & "Let's go Sioux" chant's are the only thing being heard. Other than that the crowd just sits on their hands the entire game.

Like I said the Ralph is AWESOME to look at but I could take a nap during the games. There is not an "electric atmospher" at all. I have been to the National Concrete Center to watch scsu, and while the have a small capacity, the entire crowd seems to be roaring along with the student section. Same thing goes for Mariucci. I know it is very very corporate but there are plenty of varying chants which are screamed. Such as the "Never Were" when the Gophers kill a penalty and go back to full strengh, or the "That's debatle" when the opposition becomes full strength, or "The Rouser" after the Gophers score a goal--you get about 9500 people screaming MINNESOTA. Hell look at the Kohl Center. There are about 10 people in entire state of Wisconsin that know a lick about hockey. But that crowd is absolutely 100% into the game. They scream and they chant the entire game and the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

The Ralphs got personality.........that of an NHL rink

Who gives a s&!t about the fans, 75 % have no clue what's going on at any given moment of the game. Ask any player and they will all tell you they appreciate what the Ralph has to offer them. I'm sorry, but the facilities are second to none. Deal with it, cause it is a simple fact.

They're both great buildings in different ways. The Ralph is more extravagant with leather seats and marble floors but Mariucci has MUCH better sightlines. Mariucci has ten thousand seats that have a much better view of the ice than the Ralph's best ten thousand seats. That can't even be debated. On the other hand the Ralph has better facilities(locker rooms, weight room, etc.).

There was last year at the Western Regionals.....that's the only time I have ever felt it. And I liked it.....I liked it a lot.

Saturday when Kaip beat the crap out of the UAA boy you could feel the electricity in the building we need more of that more often. (not the fighting or we could never field a time but the feeling that it produces)

The problem this the atmosphere at the ralph is that the Sioux lost more games than won in the building. it is easy to get up for a team that doesn't lose. That and the fact that the ralph management doesn't care about the atmosphere the arena need to be reseated bad and get rid of some of the commericals.

They're both great buildings in different ways. The Ralph is more extravagant with leather seats and marble floors but Mariucci has MUCH better sightlines. Mariucci has ten thousand seats that have a much better view of the ice than the Ralph's best ten thousand seats. That can't even be debated. On the other hand the Ralph has better facilities(locker rooms, weight room, etc.).

"Better than the Ralphs best 10,000 seats"? That statement does not even warrant a reply.

However, lest we forget the John only has one 20' wide walk way for all 10,000 folks to navigate between periods (much like SCSU minus 5,500 folks) and of course with 4 1/2 minutes to go in the last period.

The problem this the atmosphere at the ralph is that the Sioux lost more games than won in the building. it is easy to get up for a team that doesn't lose. That and the fact that the ralph management doesn't care about the atmosphere the arena need to be reseated bad and get rid of some of the commericals.

:lol: Explain this one, please.

"Better than the Ralphs best 10,000 seats"? That statement does not even warrant a reply.

However, lest we forget the John only has one 20' wide walk way for all 10,000 folks to navigate between periods (much like SCSU minus 5,500 folks) and of course with 4 1/2 minutes to go in the last period.

I'm not saying it's better overall than the Ralph. I'm just saying in regard to the sightlines Mariucci is better. I've never been in an arena that gives you a better view of the ice than Mariucci. The Ralph is much nicer and better in pretty much every other regard but not when it comes to sightlines which some people like myself believe is the most important aspect of an arena.

I'm not saying it's better overall than the Ralph. I'm just saying in regard to the sightlines Mariucci is better. I've never been in an arena that gives you a better view of the ice than Mariucci. The Ralph is much nicer and better in pretty much every other regard but not when it comes to sightlines which some people like myself believe is the most important aspect of an arena.

Keep in mind that buckysieve, once again, is the voice of reason and objectivity here. He has the power to know and understand that which no Sioux fan is capable of knowing or understanding because of the Kelly green blinders we all wear. Also remember that he has personally sat in every seat in both buildings while hockey games were in progress. There is no arguing with him. He is right. It's best just to give in to his superior insight and move on. You can't win.

name='FIRE HELMET GUY #26' post='219853' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:23 AM']Serious question here, because I have been up there and have casually asked some Sioux fans and they have agreed, do any of you folks think the Ralph is a little Like I said the Ralph is AWESOME to look at but I could take a nap during the games. There is not an "electric atmospher" at all. I have been to the National Concrete Center to watch scsu, and while the have a small capacity, the entire crowd seems to be roaring along with the student section. Same thing goes for Mariucci. I know it is very very corporate but there are plenty of varying chants which are screamed. Such as the "Never Were" when the Gophers kill a penalty and go back to full strengh, or the "That's debatle" when the opposition becomes full strength, or "The Rouser" after the Gophers score a goal--you get about 9500 people screaming MINNESOTA. Hell look at the Kohl Center. There are about 10 people in entire state of Wisconsin that know a lick about hockey. But that crowd is absolutely 100% into the game. They scream and they chant the entire game and the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

Dude you make me laugh...the #2 thread on GPL forum right now is how dead your dump was during this past week's series against Denver. #1 vs #5 and your crowd couldn't get up for that? Come on...please.....get off your horse. You calling our building a morgue is laughable because we don't have a mascot or ludicrous chants such as the alphabet spelling bee you call a "rouser"?

The Sioux have managed to cobble at least two points together in that building for as far back as I can remember. This season will be no exception.

Besides the fact that the Sioux play of late has provided a reason for optimism, I have clung to this fact as well. Even in some bad years the Sioux have managed to pull one out, I think usually the Friday game (last year being an exception). I'm very much hoping for a split this weekend. I'll be disappointed, but not surprised if the Sioux are swept (considering how this year has gone) but I think it's reasonable to hope for and maybe even expect a split. Sure would like to get one on Friday if possible.

Considering the circumstances, 1 point might be considered a tall task. But with the Badgers and Pioneers each getting a win vs. the Gophers the past two weeks, that gives us some reason for optimism I think.

I'm afraid Elliott and Fisher are a little better than Phil. I suspect the gophers will get 30-35 shots on us. PL will need his best game to hold Mn to 3 goals and we'll probably need to score at least 4 on their defense. He did it last year so there's is reason for optimism. However, I think Mn will be emotionally charged after what happen to them in Grand Forks last March. We need to stay out of the box. Mn is always better on the power play than the rest of the league and this year is no different. I just hope the games are close enough to give us a chance to win.

Dude you make me laugh...the #2 thread on GPL forum right now is how dead your dump was during this past week's series against Denver. #1 vs #5 and your crowd couldn't get up for that? Come on...please.....get off your horse. You calling our building a morgue is laughable because we don't have a mascot or ludicrous chants such as the alphabet spelling bee you call a "rouser"?

Who makes you laugh, me or the guy who wrote the majority of that thread, because you clumped them all together? :lol::D

What I was trying to say is that if they would have seated that arena better I think that the atomosphere and the prolems with siting and standing would not be an issue.

While that may or may not be true, the issue has been discussed here numerous times before. No matter where the students are placed, they will obstruct the view of suiteholders if they stand the entire game. This was a flaw in the design of the building from the early planning stages. If you get a chance to attend the Final 5 at the Xcel, make note of the height from the top row in the lower level to the bottom of the suite. The REA is missing about 3 feet of wall space.

In my opinion, the biggest obstacle for "atmosphere" at the REA has been the lack of consistency of the product.