SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMtc

AZSIOUX

Because of UND's precarious position record-wise, this weekend seems more about getting points out of one of the country's best teams on the road than about Gopher/Sioux week. For me anyway.

MN was unbeatable for more than three months this season, and that doesn't happen by accident. They won blowouts and they won close games. They managed to win games where the play seemed reasonably even, and games where they had a poor showing. They also won when some of their best players like Okposo and Hirsch were out of the lineup, and when even more were gone for the WJC. The backbone for this run has been stellar goaltending, helped by an experienced group of defensemen, with three upperclassmen. A couple of changes from the standard Gopher team is that this one is quite a lot bigger and grittier than usual (down the lineup they are much bigger than UND), and the PP is perhaps not as dominant as it was with Pohl and then Potulny putting the hammer down from the backdoor.

All that said, they have looked vulnerable at times, and had teams play them straight up. They've also lost a few games in the last few weeks to good teams, as they adjust to Hirsch's departure and get the legs back under their WJC guys.

UND has recovered nicely in the last month, but the 6-1-1 record hasn't exactly been put up against a tough schedule. A few things seem clear: UND's goaltending has improved a ton, and Oshie and Toews seem healthier than they've been all year. There's no arguing the fact that UND is a one-line team right now. They've gotten some key even-strength goals recently from the second and third lines (Porter, Miller and Fabian in the last three games), but generally the team goes offensively as the big guns go. The defensive corps, with four sophomores and a freshman, continues to mature but still makes young mistakes. (For more on the shortcomings in this area, see most threads in the last few months.)

An odd feature to this series is that this might be the first time in recent memory where it would be to UND's benefit to have the PP decide the games. UND's PP has looked at times as good as I can remember it. I realize this might be one of those: "be careful what you wish for" moments.

Another key set of players for UND will be Porter, Fabian, Kaip, Radke and Zajac. More than any time in recent memory, MN will attempt to use its size to impose its physical will on the game. This group of Sioux players have some size and/or chippiness and will need to hold their ground.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, perhaps FHG, especially in a town the size of Cottage Grove. But the area needed something like the Ralph to set it self aside from other colleges of similar size - besides the 7 NC$$ championships that is.

Also, I have heard quite a few comments here in Minnyhopeless about the John being less than adequate since the X and Ralph came upon the scene.

Pardon the pun, but this post is absolutely "green" with envy. I wouldn't take any arena in the world over the Ralph, and neither would you. Admitting you have a problem is your first step to recovery. Come on fhg................let the healing begin.

No, my post was dead honest. Like I said, nothing against the arena at all, it is a BEAUTIFUL facility but it is more of a pro arena atmostphere then college. Thats why I was asking for an opinion because like I said when I have been up there and have had chats with a few Sioux fans they said the same thing, not all but some. It was just a question though, I'm not trying to stir the pot.

Mariucci over the Ralph?!? Sure sounds like delusional arena envy to me. It's like the guy who drives the Taurus saying his car is better because the Lexus has too many bells and whistles and runs too smoothly. Too much smoke inhalation fire helmet guy, I know there is no other place I would rather spend my Friday and Saturday nights... unless it is on a hot beach with a cold drink, but we live in the great white north.

No, my post was dead honest. Like I said, nothing against the arena at all, it is a BEAUTIFUL facility but it is more of a pro arena atmostphere then college. Thats why I was asking for an opinion because like I said when I have been up there and have had chats with a few Sioux fans they said the same thing, not all but some. It was just a question though, I'm not trying to stir the pot.

Who gives a s&!t about the fans, 75 % have no clue what's going on at any given moment of the game. Ask any player and they will all tell you they appreciate what the Ralph has to offer them. I'm sorry, but the facilities are second to none. Deal with it, cause it is a simple fact.

Who gives a s&!t about the fans, 75 % have no clue what's going on at any given moment of the game. Ask any player and they will all tell you they appreciate what the Ralph has to offer them. I'm sorry, but the facilities are second to none. Deal with it, cause it is a simple fact.

Deal with what? It was a simple question, and I guess I got my answers. No reason to get rude. Thanks for the input folks.

Yeh, perhaps FHG, especially in a town the size of Cottage Grove. But the area needed something like the Ralph to set it self aside from other colleges of similar size - besides the 7 NC$$ championships that is.

Also, I have heard quite a few comments here in Minnyhopeless about the John being less than adequate since the X and Ralph came upon the scene.

Kind of like the Goofs football, Twins and Vikings - all envious of what others have with regard to facilities.

That is true. I remember the first time going up there and waiting to see it and all of the sudden BOOM, there it is. Almost overpowers the city to see a facility like that there, nothing against Grand Forks but it just seems kind of out of place.

Serious question here, because I have been up there and have casually asked some Sioux fans and they have agreed, do any of you folks think the Ralph is a little over the top as a college arena?

Actually, yes, I'd agree with that statement. But the truth is, I don't care. It's a wonderful facility and an amazingly genourous gift to UND and Grand Forks. I don't have a clue what its economic impact has meant to the community, but it is no doubt considerable. Plus, it has helped put Grand Forks on the map nationally and internationally.

Most people never see the best parts of the arena: the training area, the rehab facilities, the locker room and players' lounge and study area. When you walk through those parts of the arena and see the emphasis on Fighting Sioux hockey tradition and winning, it's not difficult to imagine their effect on potential recruits.

So while I might not agree with all the design decisions, there's no way that I can be critical of what Ralph Engelstad did for UND and Grand Forks.

To that point I have even seen a couple of GPL'ers with the Ralph picture in effigy as their avatar. If that isn't arena envy I don't know what is. :lol:

The only one I have seen on there is the before and after pic. The one with the Ralph on the left side and then the explosion of the Ralph on the right....is that the one you are talking about?

Actually, yes, I'd agree with that statement. But the truth is, I don't care. It's a wonderful facility and an amazingly genourous gift to UND and Grand Forks. I don't have a clue what its economic impact has meant to the community, but it is no doubt considerable. Plus, it has helped put Grand Forks on the map nationally and internationally.

Most people never see the best parts of the arena: the training area, the rehab facilities, the locker room and players' lounge and study area. When you walk through those parts of the arena and see the emphasis on Fighting Sioux hockey tradition and winning, it's not difficult to imagine their effect on potential recruits.

So while I might not agree with all the design decisions, there's no way that I can be critical of what Ralph Engelstad did for UND and Grand Forks.

Damn!! that was well stated :lol:

I drove a little out of the way to work this morning so that I could drive around The Ralph.

Over the top? Nope. It puts a smile on my face and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just looking at it. Whoever says that a gift such as the one that Ralph gave all of us is over the top is a moron......they most likely complain when their ice cream is too cold too.

The only thing that Mariucci makes stand up is the middle finger on my left hand.

PS......the bike comparison post is freaking hilarious! I think I saw "gas mileage kills" on the bottom of the rodent ride.

I have heard that they give tours of the Ralph, is that true or not? Or do you have to know someone there that can get you in? I have heard that the facilities there are very nice.

I have heard that they give tours of the Ralph, is that true or not? Or do you have to know someone there that can get you in? I have heard that the facilities there are very nice.

They do, and on game day tours, those areas that you mentioned are not available to the public. I've never been on the guided tour myself, but have gotten them from students when my kid was the Sioux Kids Club Captain of the Game......twice.....

Deal with what? It was a simple question, and I guess I got my answers. No reason to get rude. Thanks for the input folks.

Rude? Like going onto a Sioux fans website and saying s&!t like "I would never trade the hoochie for the Ralph, blah blah blah." No, not a damn thing about that is rude at all. I think the opinion of a man like Ray Borque has a ton more credibility than your opinion. He said it was not the biggest, but the nicest facility he'd ever seen, top to bottom. I have a hard time arguing with him. If you find the truth to be rude, so be it.

Oh I agree - and I'm 6'5'' 240lbs. Bina has shown his edginess and Finley has not - but I believe it is there just waiting to be brought out under the right and provoked circumstance. Like so many big guys - he has probably never been really challenged before.

Anyway - enough on this - from me anyway.

There is always Zajac he goes off for any little reason

Rude? Like going onto a Sioux fans website and saying s&!t like "I would never trade the hoochie for the Ralph, blah blah blah." No, not a damn thing about that is rude at all. I think the opinion of a man like Ray Borque has a ton more credibility than your opinion. He said it was not the biggest, but the nicest facility he'd ever seen, top to bottom. I have a hard time arguing with him. If you find the truth to be rude, so be it.

Geez, who pissed in your wheaties this morning? :D Yeah, I know I can't compare to a man like Ray Borque, and I never said the arena wasn't nice. I would probably agree with what he said even. Don't get so bent out of shape, like I said in my original post, I wasn't trying to stir the pot I was just asking a question.

Yes, they do give tours, but what you see depends on when you're there. Here's what it says on the Ralph's Web site:

TOURS

Tour the magnificent Ralph Engelstad Arena for only $3 per visitor. Complete with a tour guide, your visit will include the facts and figures of this great facility, the tradition of a historic hockey program and even a gift bag from the Sioux Shop. Tours are every Monday through Friday at 1:30 pm. Call ahead to the Sioux Shop at 701.777.6636 if you plan on attending.

Geez, who pissed in your wheaties this morning? :D Yeah, I know I can't compare to a man like Ray Borque, and I never said the arena wasn't nice. I would probably agree with what he said even. Don't get so bent out of shape, like I said in my original post, I wasn't trying to stir the pot I was just asking a question.

Did I not answer your question?

No. I love the ralph, but I hate what comes with it. So your about half right. Id give my right nut to have this arena with the old arena atmosphere. Its too corporate and mainly every bit of emotion that is being shown in the arena is isntantly taken away by some stupid advertisment, such as the introductions, that is a prime example! And Not being able to stand(I have season tickets(not student)) when the game is in overtime even drives me insane! I've blown up on a few fans already this year and I dont plan on stopping anytime soon when the situation asks for it :D