SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMtc

AZSIOUX

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody up for actually discussing the upcoming series?

jk tried a couple days ago but it just didn't take. Thanks for getting some good hockey talk back in play.

I think this series is much more important to the Sioux than the Gophers. The Gophers can afford to lose points and still recover to win the conference. The Sioux need every point to have a shot at postseason play.

It's been mentioned the Sioux need to play physical defense. That's not a strong suit for this team. In fact, I'm a little worried how our defensive corp will stand up to the bigger, skilled Gopher forwards.

I still think a primary key for the Sioux will be to bring that physical edge to their game, but not lose their discipline. Wasting energy killing penalties takes the best players away from playing offense, and with our offense, the Sioux can't afford that.

This game will be played on an Olympic sheet. Maybe no other Sioux team in recent memory is as built to play on this size sheet as this one. Will it matter? We'll see.

last year we split winning 4-2 on Sat after getting hammered 6-1 the night before. Lammy was in net for the win and it was arguably his best game as a Fighting Sioux.

The thing that scares me most is the shotage of players for the Gophers, especially on Friday. They only have 10 forwards available to suit up. They are going to move Schack up to give them 11 warm bodies, but that means they will playing with only 3 lines, and rotate Schack and someone else in here and there to give players a break. Not an ideal situation for what looks to be a fairly up and down game. And the situation will get even worse if somone gets injured.

Hopefully the arena will be jumping all week-end.......looking forward to it !!!

It's nice to have a little hockey talk about this series finally. Go figure it took a Goofer fan to get it started. I can't wait until Friday night! The only thing better than a two game Gopher-Sioux series is meeting in the postseason *cough, cough... Holy Cross shouldn't stand in the way this year, but we need to make the playoffs first. It's been said a hundred times, and I agree, that a split would be great. But lets give a little boost of confidence to the boys in Green, I think this is as good of time as any for a Sioux sweep. Lammy is playing as well as he ever has, our big boys finally stepped up last weekend, and we are playing pretty solid defensively. I think Briggs/Frazee will be the x-factors. They both have had their shining moments, but both have shown they can get frazzled and let in some weak goals. Lets crash the nets hard boys and take two from the #1 team in the nation!

I hope that both teams can avoid the dreaded "checking from behind" penalties. That would screw up things for both nights should it happen Friday. I believe the Sioux had one on Friday last year. That penalty was far more prevalent season long last year than this, but I could be wrong. (Oops! Maybe I just jinxed someone by bringing it up. Forget I said anything.) Go Sioux!

The thing that scares me most is the shotage of players for the Gophers, especially on Friday. They only have 10 forwards available to suit up. They are going to move Schack up to give them 11 warm bodies, but that means they will playing with only 3 lines, and rotate Schack and someone else in here and there to give players a break. Not an ideal situation for what looks to be a fairly up and down game. And the situation will get even worse if somone gets injured.

Hopefully the arena will be jumping all week-end.......looking forward to it !!!

Shack's got more goals at forward than too many of our freshmen forwards that have played forward to this point. And the short lineup seemed to work fine for Lucia on Friday night against Mankato. I'm not going to feel too sorry for the Gophs in these conditions.

But you make an interesting point. How important is it for MN to stay out of the box this weekend? Can they afford to burn a lot of energy with certain players killing penalties? I don't know that MN gets into much penalty trouble so this may not be an issue. But with their more physical and edgy style of play this year I would imagine it's a possibility.

Im a new guy going to Mariucci for the first time this weekend. I have SRO tickets and am just wondering if anyone has good advice on how early to get to the arena to get a quality standing spot? I know people hang out up top and then move to seats around game time, so just wondering...any help would be great

Puck drops @ 7:07 so I suggest you get there by 6:58. Oh and btw, don't try to sneak down to a seat beacause when you do the pompous arrogant corpie jag-off will show up in the middle of the 2nd period and want his seat. Stay at the SRO

Puck drops @ 7:07 so I suggest you get there by 6:58. Oh and btw, don't try to sneak down to a seat beacause when you do the pompous arrogant corpie jag-off will show up in the middle of the 2nd period and want his seat. Stay at the SRO

I like SRO tickets at Mariucci. You get a good view of the ice plus you get to stand the whole game, which I prefer. And with the rail in front of you you have something to lean on. Just don't yell too loud, it's hard on the ears of the fogies in front of you. ???

I think they open the doors about 1 hour before the game? Whenever it is I'd get there then, and scout out your desired spot. If you get there close to game time it might be tough to find a good place to stand. The SRO spots are not assigned, so you kind of have to muscle in.

Shack's got more goals at forward than too many of our freshmen forwards that have played forward to this point. And the short lineup seemed to work fine for Lucia on Friday night against Mankato. I'm not going to feel too sorry for the Gophs in these conditions.

But you make an interesting point. How important is it for MN to stay out of the box this weekend? Can they afford to burn a lot of energy with certain players killing penalties? I don't know that MN gets into much penalty trouble so this may not be an issue. But with their more physical and edgy style of play this year I would imagine it's a possibility.

Spending a lot of time & energy killing penalties could be DISASTROUS for my boys this week-end.

Against MSU, when they were short on players as well, they played a COMPLETELY type of game. They almost looked like Wisconsin..........no forechecking, a lot of dumping into the zone, etc. Not too sure they would be able to get away with that this series.

The Gophers have given up six PPGs over the last four games, a couple were 5x3s despite our paying off the refs. They need to stay the heck out of the box because they are VERY tough five on five.

both teams have had very solid goaltending for the most part lately taking out saturdays gophs game.....i think the KEY either way is PP and PK...the sioux i believe are the top PP in the wcha, and the gophs cant be far behind if im correct....i say which ever team decides to cheat ??? will be on the losing end.....i just think this because both TOP PP units are to damn good to stop on a consistent basis

The Gophers have given up six PPGs over the last four games, a couple were 5x3s despite our paying off the refs. They need to stay the heck out of the box because they are VERY tough five on five.

Will last weekend's Anderson debacle with daddy Shep in the crowd have anything to do with the way things are called this weekend? There were several outright tackles in front of the net in the Mn/Denver series that went uncalled, not to mention the minor hooking and holding that has been allowed throughout the season so far.

MN hasn't swept UND at home in a regular season series in 11 years but did sweep the Sioux out of the playoffs in 2002. ???

Last year was a split.

6-1

2-4 (with an ENG)

I think UND can get a split this weekend. UMN is playing ok right now, finally getting to the meat of their schedule and the Sioux are coming on at the right time. The only thing is staying out of the box. Should be an interesting series.

Will last weekend's Anderson debacle with daddy Shep in the crowd have anything to do with the way things are called this weekend? There were several outright tackles in front of the net in the Mn/Denver series that went uncalled, not to mention the minor hooking and holding that has been allowed throughout the season so far.

I am just afraid that the Sioux are going to get the short end of the stick this weekend. I can already see Greg Sheppard sitting up in the both supervising the game from the press box and the Sioux getting Greg Sheppard or Don Adam as the on ice official. Yikes

I am just afraid that the Sioux are going to get the short end of the stick this weekend. I can already see Greg Sheppard sitting up in the both supervising the game from the press box and the Sioux getting Greg Sheppard or Don Adam as the on ice official. Yikes

Greg officiating while observing Greg officiate? ??? Wow. I'd bet Greg would remark that Greg made a command performance. :whistling:

Seriously, though, I already predicted Derek Shepherd this weekend.

And if it is Don Adam: I hope Grieco gets plenty of practice time this week. Walski as well. And I hope Robbie gets the flu and can't play. Duncan and Genoway better watch out as well. No, Minnesota isn't that cheap, but Adam isn't that safe either.

Well of course they will because we all know the WCHA officials are on the Gophers payroll--sheeeshh