SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Name Issues Send Student Packing.

Goon

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I found a letter to the editor in the Dakota Student that put into words the way that I feel about the logo. However, I can't find the letter in the online version of the DS. Anyone know the copyright rules about if I can just type the letter in here as long as I give credit to the author and paper?

Is there any chance that Mr. LaPointe was going to get thrown out of school for his SS.com exploits and was given the opportunity to quit first?

I doubt that had anything to do with it. My understanding is that his activities on SS.com had been dealt with several months ago.

she puts the BATTLE in BATTLEAXE!! Does she realize UND alums had some INCENTIVE to contribute to this cause??? Maybe she should go to work at the Alumni Association to persuade them to contribute to scholly's...otherwise...shut your hole! :lol:

Considering Dakota H is actually an NDSU grad, her battleaxe views are, unfortunately, deeply rooted. :lol: Doubt the Alumni Association would take her. :silly:

I doubt that had anything to do with it. My understanding is that his activities on SS.com had been dealt with several months ago.

The city PD put the onus on the University police. The State's Attorney's office told the UND police that 'no crime had been committed'. (I have recently been told that federal law was broken.) The University bounced me from one department to another with the issue finally being brought to a complete halt by the Director of Residence Life and Education, Cindy Spencer. She told me that any action (if any were taken) would not be disclosed to me due to Mr. LaPointe's right to privacy. She did tell me if any action were taken it 'would not be punitive'. Any action taken would be an educational one.

All of this occurred March 2006. This fall, after my pursuit for 'victim's rights', Mr. LaPointe started grad school. So, no, his leaving grad school had nothing to do with his actions on SS.com. IMHO, he just couldn't 'hack' grad school and dropped out.

Today I found a letter to the editor in the Dakota Student that put into words the way that I feel about the logo. However, I can't find the letter in the online version of the DS. Anyone know the copyright rules about if I can just type the letter in here as long as I give credit to the author and paper?

I read that too....It needed to be said. I get so sick of the Dakota Student, All they do over there I swear is think of ways to get the super majority of people wound up (on any issue).

I love how they are defending the Dakota Student name with the same arguments that could be used to defend the Fighting Sioux name. Adding the mascot comment to the letter was priceless!! :lol:

Glenn is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am just responding to several posts at once. I noticed you just stated that somethings are not worth fighting over, for me the nickname triggers offensive behavior. intentional or not. and it should be corrected. i even went as far as talking to some of those who are more involved with the university and when I mentioned perhaps since we use the nickname, to have requirements that all students must take Indian Studies courses. I was laughed at. But I don't want to get into that. I really didn't want to get into any of this but reading comments here and on all the boards that were suggested, I couldn't help but post that lengthy but very summarized thread above.

i do contribute to many things outside of native american based programs, etc, but i do feel drawn to help the people who've helped me and that i care for on a more personal level. Wouldn't you want to contribute to your family? Because that's who the people are from the band I belong to, my family. Blood or not. They are my family. And I will try to protect them the best that I can.

I never said Sioux-cia is a liar. I just said I don't know if I am certain that it was Mr. LaPointe. But I never said he didn't do it either. Also, I didn't say anyone who is pro-nickname is immature. I said I wanted to see more maturity from some people. Such as the guy who basically said, 'my dad said this, therefore he is correct.' Claiming to have made a research paper. I have many friends and family that are pro-nickname. I don't call them immature for that reason. (though some are immature for other reasons *smiles*) A person's opinion on this particular matter is not going to deter me from maintaining a friendship with them unless they act in a way that I can no longer associate with them. I have said it before, I can understand the loyalty to the name as a sports fan I suppose. But once again, it was stated that somethings are not worth fighting for. So let it go. Embrace a name that isn't so offensive to a person's race and culture.

anyway i really am tired of this. I wish this would all end. But it won't rest until the nickname is changed unfortunately, regardless of how I feel, even if I choose to support it once again, the issue will remain.

best wishes to all of you

Not to come out on the offence, but are you saying my dad is a liar? He taught at the UND for more than 30 years. He was a professor in the school of medicine. When it comes to something going on at the University during his tenure I believe he knew what he was talking about. When I said the Native American students went to school fro free at UND I was refering to scholarships they received. As far as my resarch paper being an opinion paper, isn't that what a research paper is? The opinion of the person who wrote it and researched it? Sure it is pro SIOUX logo that has been the tradition at UND since the 1930's and a way to honor and pay tribute to the great warrior Nation of the Dakota Sioux Tribes that once dominated the region. I never intended nor do I beleive UND ever intended to be "hostile or abusive" to Native Americans with my paper. You say that your family is of mixed heritage, so is mine. By keeping the Sioux name and logo UND carries on the tradition of a great Native American Nation. Do you want that taken away? If we forget where we came from we have no way to learn from our mistakes and grow?

Also like you undsportsfan I have a life away from this message board. I spend 45 to 50 hours a week working and attending school another 4 hours a week. So that my friend is why it has taken me awhile to respond to your comments on my paper.

Take care and God Bless the USA and the FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

As far as my resarch paper being an opinion paper, isn't that what a research paper is? The opinion of the person who wrote it and researched it?

Good point and true, your paper is your paper based on your personal research, after conducting your review of the literature and the data you formed an opinion.

Not to come out on the offence, but are you saying my dad is a liar? He taught at the UND for more than 30 years. He was a professor in the school of medicine. When it comes to something going on at the University during his tenure I believe he knew what he was talking about. When I said the Native American students went to school fro free at UND I was refering to scholarships they received. As far as my resarch paper being an opinion paper, isn't that what a research paper is? The opinion of the person who wrote it and researched it? Sure it is pro SIOUX logo that has been the tradition at UND since the 1930's and a way to honor and pay tribute to the great warrior Nation of the Dakota Sioux Tribes that once dominated the region. I never intended nor do I beleive UND ever intended to be "hostile or abusive" to Native Americans with my paper. You say that your family is of mixed heritage, so is mine. By keeping the Sioux name and logo UND carries on the tradition of a great Native American Nation. Do you want that taken away? If we forget where we came from we have no way to learn from our mistakes and grow?

Also like you undsportsfan I have a life away from this message board. I spend 45 to 50 hours a week working and attending school another 4 hours a week. So that my friend is why it has taken me awhile to respond to your comments on my paper.

Take care and God Bless the USA and the FIGHTING SIOUX !!!

I'm not here to argue about your father. But he definitely told you wrong about a few things. And I'm sure he didn't know he's wrong either. It happens. People make assumptions and we don't try to get facts. Personally, I did not recieve free schooling. And plenty of people I know did not recieve free schooling either. And if UND did promise free schooling to us, then I want them to pay my debt off. As for scholarships, those weren't necessarily from UND, but private donors. Yes, there are grants and scholarships earmarked for Native Students but that's not free. Even if someone's tuition is paid, there are still plenty of costs.

UND does not carry on the tradition of Native American Nations. The Native American Nations do that. If the nickname is lost, doesn't mean the people are lost.

That's a very empty threat saying we'd be lost without the nickname and that things would be taken away. Grants and most scholarships have nothing to do with UND's nickname.

I also wasn't waiting on pins and needles for a response, but thanks for responding. I just don't agree with it. Just like I'm not agreed with.

and if we want to get historically accurate. From what I understand the Ojibwe people were dominating the local areas. I've been taught orally and in books that the Ojibwe actually took over plenty of lands of the Lakota/Nakota and Dakota and that's why they are in the current locations today, and not Minnesota, as they originally were from.

but anyway... everyone's minds are made up here. I didn't come here to change minds, or even have mind changed... I just wanted to see some people act in a more mature manner in earlier threads. And maybe teach people a little. I don't know.

Well if you follow the argument made by the comments of those elitists in the Student editorial, UND should just change their name to the Fighting Dakotans. As those who made the argument over there, it doesn't mean Native Americans, the school would then be named after the state. You could still use the Indian-head logo because the state patrol uses it in their logo as well and you could make the argument that the logo is honoring the brave men and women of our state patrol force.

It's a stretch, I know, but it's no further of a stretch than the activists use to make some of their arguments.

I didn't come here to change minds, or even have mind changed... I just wanted to see some people act in a more mature manner in earlier threads. And maybe teach people a little. I don't know.

Coming on a Sioux Sports forum it's unlikely that you will change minds. There has been discussion regarding the Sioux name for years. Your veiled insults presented as an opposing view point are not new. YOU don't know that Snake10's dad is wrong. Your presuming he is based on facts that you perceive to be true just as he has determined his 'truth' based on facts he perceives to be true.

Beause someone does not agree with the name change crowd and they react strongly to them does not mean they are immature. You want immaturity, go back and read GrahamKracker's (Gary LaPointe's) posts. Those are classic 'immature' posts.

Because a person posts on this forum doesn't mean 'they don't have a life'. I enjoy reading and posting my opinions on this forum, as evidenced by the number of posts I have made. Doesn't mean I don't have a life. Yes, it's 1 pm here and I'm on SiouxSports.com replying to your post. My morning was spent in the ER where we had a three hour code, a trauma (crushed pelvis) and a stabbing. That's in addition to the colds, diarrhea, etc. patients. Being on this forum for a half an hour while I wolf down a sandwich is helping me unwind.

So, please, when you come on this board to 'maybe teach people a little' don't insult us by making presumptions about who we are and what are lives are all about. Thank you.

I wanted to see GK's racist comments and did a search. All I could find were posts between Sioux-cia and GK and others and GK about the hacking. Is there a way to view his previous inflammatory ramblings or have they been deleted off the site. Perhaps there is another way of searching that goes back further? I was not posting/viewing on this board when they were issued but I'd be interested in looking at them. Help?

Today, UND and the NCAA were in court, and as usual, this issue continues to get in the way of our students' rights to an educational environment free of intimidation and the stress that goes with being American Indian at UND.
... if they choose to allow it to. Some do; others don't.