SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

You must have been thinking of dagies and the bad luck he's had at Mavs games. I've never been to a game in Mankato, but maybe I should start going. :D

Yup, that must be it. Just checked ticket rip-off, Sioux shooting end, lower bowl, section 201, row e. It's been 5 or 6 years since I've been to a game there, but I think those are pretty good seats. I don't know if I could sit through a 2nd period like tonight's. Might freak!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Sioux have a ton of pottential, but they have a hard time tapping into it.

I agree. Fortunately, the season is young. If the Sioux can learn from their mistakes and improve, they'll be a tough team to play against by the end of the season.

Forgive me for not going back through this thread. I just got home.

I listened to some of the first period (long enough for Chay to score his goal) but I missed the other two.

What happened? We dominated the first period and then decided to let them back into the game?

Do we have a quality second and third period in our boys? We can't rely on first periods because that gives the opponent two periods to one!

I got the :21 2 goal thing from the box score... That's kinda sad.

And TJ Oshie is snake bitten so I'm kinda wondering if he's a little shell shocked right now. After all, he should be leading the team with 7 or 8 goals for all the point blank or open opportunities he's missed. I'm just about as frustrated as he is well.... probably not, but I'm still frustrated!

Let me say this, we can't expect to give up 4 goals a game and still win. Tommorrow, we'll need to try to play D AND score at the same time. No more 4 goals allowed. Let me say this for a doomsday prediction: If the Mavs score 4 tommorrow, I say the Sioux get an L on their record.

Nice game by Miller though.

It looks like the Sioux have a ton of pottential, but they have a hard time tapping into it.

I don't know if I agree with that, any win in Mankato is a plus, top sioux teams have gone there and lost so I think this is a big win.

Forgive me for not going back through this thread. I just got home.

I listened to some of the first period (long enough for Chay to score his goal) but I missed the other two.

What happened? We dominated the first period and then decided to let them back into the game?

Do we have a quality second and third period in our boys? We can't rely on first periods because that gives the opponent two periods to one!

I got the :21 2 goal thing from the box score... That's kinda sad.

And TJ Oshie is snake bitten so I'm kinda wondering if he's a little shell shocked right now. After all, he should be leading the team with 7 or 8 goals for all the point blank or open opportunities he's missed. I'm just about as frustrated as he is well.... probably not, but I'm still frustrated!

Let me say this, we can't expect to give up 4 goals a game and still win. Tommorrow, we'll need to try to play D AND score at the same time. No more 4 goals allowed. Let me say this for a doomsday prediction: If the Mavs score 4 tommorrow, I say the Sioux get an L on their record.

Nice game by Miller though.

1st period - great play from the sioux. came out blazing. got some early goals. looked to be a blowout

2nd period - very very poor play all around. took some penalties and we paid for them. all around crappy azz period by the sioux

3rd period - played a little better. still took some penalties and it almost cost us the damn game. miller came up huge tonight and grieco played fine. he was just battling being a man down so much but a hell of a test to face in your 1st career game in the wcha and on the road. 34 saves for him. we got the 2 points which is the bottom line so thats good.

1st period - great play from the sioux. came out blazing. got some early goals. looked to be a blowout

2nd period - very very poor play all around. took some penalties and we paid for them. all around crappy azz period by the sioux

3rd period - played a little better. still took some penalties and it almost cost us the damn game. miller came up huge tonight and grieco played fine. he was just battling being a man down so much but a hell of a test to face in your 1st career game in the wcha and on the road. 34 saves for him. we got the 2 points which is the bottom line so thats good.

Just returned home from the game...and I would say this is a very good summary of what I saw as well.

First period was totally dominated by the Sioux, I thought this was going to be a laugher!

Nice win.....ugly....but a win.

Does anyone know if Miller is related to the Old Athletic Director Carl Miller..?

At last week's home stand I saw Carl said hi and he said he would at alot of games because he had a grandson at UND now....?

I don't believe so. If I am not mistaken, Carl and his wife have one child, a son named Michael, married to a gal named Linda. According to www.fightingsioux.com hockey player bio, Brad's parents are Karen and Jim Miller.

I thought it was an entertaining game overall, if a bit on the sloppy side. Sioux were amazing in the first but comatose again in the 2nd. Grieco I thought played well and kept that period from getting out of hand. Miller is impressive; and I sure do like watching Duncan.

Strangely vacant in the Midwest Wireless arena tonight. Hope to see more Sioux faithful tomorrow. Don't let the construction keep you away from Mettlers!

taz

One of the only things that beats a one goal game in the WCHA on a Friday night is a Saturday night tie game with five minutes to go in most any WCHA arena. For those of us within a hundred miles of the MWC tomorrow night, be there, or be square. Let's put the hurt on those hostile and abusive LandCow faithful.

Tonight's game was a blast, at least for the folks we was sittin' around.

Can never argue with a win on the road.

One of the only things that beats a one goal game in the WCHA on a Friday night is a Saturday night tie game with five minutes to go in most any WCHA arena. For those of us within a hundred miles of the MWC tomorrow night, be there, or be square. Let's put the hurt on those hostile and abusive LandCow faithful.

Tonights game was a blast, at least for the folks we was sittin' around.

Can never argue with a win on the road.

hmm..I think next time someone needs to decide whos going to be here for the entire game and do the announcing. I have a feeling people are sitting around, fingertips 1/4 inch about the buttons ready to type out who scores, ending up in 13 people in repetitive motion lol. maybe have TWO people doing comentary and the rest just being sioux fans? :) so much echo going on lol..............unless i missed the first place prize for typing a goal first :D hmmm. anyways..GREAT WIN!

Sioux better play better saturday if they want the sweep. no good teams give up a three goal lead

Not trying to be critical: Reading your post one could get the impression that the Sioux didn't deserve to win the game or barely got by or they didn't play very well. Mankato like many of us said is a hard nose tough team and the MWC is a tough place to play. Mankato isn't a bad team either, Travis Morin is one of the leagues top players. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth on this game. Missing one of their top forwards, starting a young green goalie, I'll take this and look this game as a positive.

The Sioux do need to stop taking Knucklehead penatlies though. Too many again this game.

I agree with Hak's concern that it was his experienced players who were taking the dumb penalties and making the mental errors that lead to goals, with two D men in particular being the biggest offenders. If those two can get their act together tonight there is no reason why the Sioux can't get the sweep. Also Grieco will play again this evening. Another thread addresses the reasoning and he needs to get as much quality game time as he can while Lammy is out. Trial by fire when a young freshman has to face 38 shots in his very first game.

Miller has played 5/7 games this season. I think I think if I were the coach he might become a fixture in the line up. Oh course its easier to coach from the stand or in your livingroom.

I don't think you're going that far out on the limb there. Right now he's the team scoring leader when we really really needed someone to step up.

I was at the game last night and the Sioux looked flat. That first period looked like a familiar Sioux team that comes out rolling but the second and third periods is our problem. It's like we start the game thinking we can get a shutout so we play hard and fight, but then once we let in a goal are feelings get hurt and we get down on ourselves.

The first goal by Mankato was a nice pass across the goal and the punched it in. Greico couldn't get over in time. The second goal was a hard shot from Greico's left-side that somehow trickled through him. If I remember correctly, the puck was in the zone for a long time and the Sioux could not get control of it. The third goal was like the D wasn't working hard and Kalinski stole it and scored easily on a breakaway.

The second and third goals happened 20 seconds apart from each other and a spectator could easily tell they weren't working as hard as Mankato was. Oshie, Bina, Duncan, Miller, and Forney were the only players that seemed like they worked hard on every shift. Oshie was an absolute workhorse and was clearly the best player out there last night. More than one time on the penalty kill he chased down the player carrying the puck and wreaked havoc and caused frustration.

The Sioux have incredible potential, which is obvious from the dominant first period. However, right now the team is not focusing for the entire game and that's what get them into trouble. There is no way that we are only one goal better than Mankato. Our talent compared to Mankato's is convincingly more. It's just that they figured they could maybe pull out a win after scoring that first goal and started to work harder than the Sioux. I am 100% sure that Hakstol will get this team to be as good as it can be for playoff time, but right now we need to play as a team and work.

The Midwest Wireless Center was hopping last night. Whenever the Mavs score a goal the entire crowd jumps up and sings, "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole." With about 3,500 people in attendance it was about as loud as the Ralph gets.

I was at the game last night and the Sioux looked flat. That first period looked like a familiar Sioux team that comes out rolling but the second and third periods is our problem. It's like we start the game thinking we can get a shutout so we play hard and fight, but then once we let in a goal are feelings get hurt and we get down on ourselves.

The first goal by Mankato was a nice pass across the goal and the punched it in. Greico couldn't get over in time. The second goal was a hard shot from Greico's left-side that somehow trickled through him. If I remember correctly, the puck was in the zone for a long time and the Sioux could not get control of it. The third goal was like the D wasn't working hard and Kalinski stole it and scored easily on a breakaway.

The second and third goals happened 20 seconds apart from each other and a spectator could easily tell they weren't working as hard as Mankato was. Oshie, Bina, Duncan, Miller, and Forney were the only players that seemed like they worked hard on every shift. Oshie was an absolute workhorse and was clearly the best player out there last night. More than one time on the penalty kill he chased down the player carrying the puck and wreaked havoc and caused frustration.

The Sioux have incredible potential, which is obvious from the dominant first period. However, right now the team is not focusing for the entire game and that's what get them into trouble. There is no way that we are only one goal better than Mankato. Our talent compared to Mankato's is convincingly more. It's just that they figured they could maybe pull out a win after scoring that first goal and started to work harder than the Sioux. I am 100% sure that Hakstol will get this team to be as good as it can be for playoff time, but right now we need to play as a team and work.

The Midwest Wireless Center was hopping last night. Whenever the Mavs score a goal the entire crowd jumps up and sings, "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole." With about 3,500 people in attendance it was about as loud as the Ralph gets.

this is what i was talking about in my early post. If the sioux think they are a good team they need to learn to stay out the box and play a complete game.

hmm..I think next time someone needs to decide whos going to be here for the entire game and do the announcing. I have a feeling people are sitting around, fingertips 1/4 inch about the buttons ready to type out who scores, ending up in 13 people in repetitive motion lol. maybe have TWO people doing comentary and the rest just being sioux fans? :) so much echo going on lol..............unless i missed the first place prize for typing a goal first :D hmmm. anyways..GREAT WIN!

people are just having a good time typing on what happens. its called interaction and who cares about what you call it "ECHOING" we have been doing game threads here for years and they are very entertaining to say the least ;) some may get to isten to the wholegame or sometimes not so its good to have up to date info even if it is repeat info :D go siouxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx tonight

I want to add a lot more but only have a minute right now.

I was at the game, my first of the year. The Sioux were dominant in the first 15 minutes, but at least some of that was because Mankato was sleep-walking. To UND's credit, they took advantage of the opportunity and put up the three goal lead. I think part of it was the Sioux skaters were shocked to only see two legs in their breezers, their own. There wasn't a Maine or Wisconsin player sharing them. It looked like the Sioux loved the extra bit of space they had early on.

Mankato really turned up the pressure the rest of the game, and had the better of the chances by a big margin. Part of that was the discrepancy in penalties, which was to me beyond reason in a game with two teams who seemed to be equally playing on the edge of the rules.

At the risk of being excommunicated, I'll say that I and the folks I was with thought Oshie was rather ordinary last night, the least dynamic I've seen him. I thought Porter and Watkins were warriors, true Sioux two-way players in the mold of Spiewak and Notermann. Watkins is going to be the heart and soul of this team in a few years. I loved my first look at Genoway and Martens.

Again, I'll try to add more later.

people are just having a good time typing on what happens. its called interaction and who cares about what you call it "ECHOING" we have been doing game threads here for years and they are very entertaining to say the least ;) some may get to isten to the wholegame or sometimes not so its good to have up to date info even if it is repeat info :D go siouxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx tonight

people are just having a good time typing on what happens. its called interaction and who cares about what you call it "ECHOING" we have been doing game threads here for years and they are very entertaining to say the least ;) some may get to isten to the wholegame or sometimes not so its good to have up to date info even if it is repeat info go siouxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx tonight

Went to the game last night. Had a good time. Beer is only 4 bucks and they have Grain Belt. Home made jerky too.

Most have already gave their impressions and I agree. Let me add a few things.

Greico made some big saves, but he is a stand-up goalie so it takes some getting used to. Lots of rebounds, but he does a good job kicking them out far. However, it hurt us at times during the penalty kill because he didn't get the faceoff. Also, the Mavs second goal was a mistake on his part. It looked like he was beat short side from an angle that it shouldn't happen.

Oshie didn't do much, but it seemed like he was being shadowed.

We have to quit taking penalties. I felt the last one on Brian Lee was weak, but I was at other end. Then Hak has long conference with Anderson. It payed off, because Anderson called a weak one on the Mavs and we scored.