SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Neb-Omaha Game Thread

fightingsioux4life

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manke sacked and shoulder is hurt again.

Better to lose now, than farther into the season. Tough loss, get up and dust yourselves off.

Omaha treats this game like the Super Bowl instead of just another game. When it comes playoff time, the Mavs don't get it done. They are a regular season team only.

Let them have this one. We'll see who has the last laugh. ???

This loss is totally on the coaching staff. They wimped out on 4th and goal and kicked a field goal when they needed to make a statement.

Agree with you on the 4th and goal. Omaha went for it early on 4th and goal and made it. UND has had success doing that this season, but didn't even try. Lennon is too conservative sometimes. I think on the road, in a place you haven't won in since 1995, you have to take risks like that. They didn't.

If we had went for it on 4th and goal and failed and lost the game, it would have been easier to swallow than this.

And later that season, the Mavs lost three straight to end the season and the Sioux won the National Championship. Like I said above, let them have this one. When it counts late in the year, these guys don't get it done.

....and the Sioux were able to host numerous home playoff games.

Not this year regardless of their record. Talk about a good time to start your exploritory year.

....and the Sioux were able to host numerous home playoff games.

Not this year regardless of their record.

Pending a possible injunction against the NCAA in court, that could change. If we can't get it overturned, we can kiss any hopes of winning it all goodbye. If we lose another game before the playoffs, we won't be hosting any games anyway. And if Manke is out for the year after today, I think that's a very strong possibility.

If we can't get it overturned, we can kiss any hopes of winning it all goodbye. And if Manke is out for the year after today, I think that's a very strong possibility.

So the Sioux won't be able to win another title if they have to play on the road in the playoffs? Why's that?

Was there any more info on Manke's injury on the radio? What makes you think he is done for the season?

So the Sioux won't be able to win another title if they have to play on the road in the playoffs? Why's that?

Was there any more info on Manke's injury on the radio? What makes you think he is done for the season?

If you really believe that a team can win a national championship playing every single playoff game on the road, you are kidding yourself (especially in the region we are in). Is it possible? Sure, nothing is totally impossible. Is is likely? No way. Both years we made it to Florence (2001 and 2003) we were at home for the playoffs (all three games). In 2004, we had most of our games on the road and lost in the semifinals. That year, we beat Grand Valley State at the Alerus. I don't think we would have won if it had been at Lubbers Field. Dale Lennon always talks about how important it is to get a high playoff seed so you can host games. Being at home for the playoffs is more important in football than in any other sport.

You can have some of your games on the road and get to Florence, but the deeper you get in the playoffs, the tougher the teams are and the tougher it is to win on the road. I know that Northern Colorado won back-to-back National Titles playing a lot of road games in 1996 and 1997, but they had at least some games at home. And I think they were more of the exception rather than the rule.

Remember, this is not hockey, where tournament games are at regional sites. Being on the road for every playoff game means no national title. You can disagree if you want, but that is my take on it.

I was merely spectulating on Manke's injury; Hammer made it sound really bad when he was sacked to end the game. I am glad he is all right.

As for the rest of our schedule, Duluth at home will be tough. St. Cloud on the road (I don't care how much they are struggling) will be tough and South Dakota at home will be tough. With Manke back in two weeks (we are off next week), we'll have a good shot of running the table. Today's loss wasn't a backbreaker, just very disappointing.

GO SIOUX!!!

I too think that our D** conservative streak killed us. When they had fourth and goal, they went for it, when we had it we wimped out. Game over. Lennon and Mussman need to seriously re-evaluate their philosophy. It's killing us in tight games.